Photo

Proposal for changes to the YR QM

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: YR QM Proposal

"quick matching refers to the process of finding a game (quickly) AND also refers to the average length of games played."?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

As a starting point, implement the YR QM proposal found in this topic (refinements will be ongoing)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

No, not SvY

#27 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Right. I'm afraid that can't be done (ATM). One can have:
1. M: Mirror Only
2. A: SvY
3. S: AvY
4: Y: AvS
5. -: All

#28 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

AvS, AvY is equivalent to All, isn't it?

Ok, in those cases please use the settings listed below:

Bridging the gap avs
malibu cliffs - all
soveriegn land - all
head for the hills avy
arena 33 forever - all
brink of disaster avs
paris revisited - all
tanyas training grounds - avy

Edited by rumblesom, 25 July 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#29 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hammer and sickle sov vs yuri should be removed IMO

#30 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

I completely disagree. Prep added this its been in qm a while now and imho its one of the best maps to vs yuri on and easiest to win. Id rather hammer than HV, i think ive only ever lost vs yuri on that map once :/ but we will try get other opinion's before we make changes, remember this is an ongoing process. Hopefully i get it soon and ill record and show u why i find it easier than other map's.

#31 Chrisev

Chrisev

CnCSaga Staff since 2009

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9132 posts
  • XWIS Name: Chrisev

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

I totally agree, for me Sov VS Yuri will never be equitable on that map.

even if it is true that it is very easy to beat yuri on this map, i think the basic principle has always been good (maps with water = only YvY)

Edited by Chrisev, 02 August 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#32 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

although the fact it has water is a big issue... boomers own.. there are other points as well. only 2 choke points across to the other side which allows yuri to thrive camping with mags and mc. IC is rendered useless if bridges are destoryed.

It is heavily in favour of yuri against sovs imo and you wont find a map heavily in favour of sovs vs yuri (as as favourable).

Edited by yiddo, 02 August 2013 - 04:16 PM.

#33 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:12 AM

strange i find it the other way around :S i spam flacks and blow the bridges then make 1000000 seige and its game over, ive even won the naval battle a lot of the time. but at the end of the month we will address the community for opinions and then address the map's

#34 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

The naval is actually the more manageable part of the map, I do agree that the two chokes suck, but that's a problem with the map for all factions. HV is definitely worse for yvs than h&s. I think you just need to change your playing style a bit, try seige like zigzag said, they really do rape on that map in particular.

#35 willy

willy

Commander

• Members
  • 18212 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

i forgot a lot of these maps :(

#36 kickyou73

kickyou73

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

The pool from 2009 was best. That new maps might have some potential although some have been in the pool already (sovereign land for instance.)

I'd encourage every YR player to contribute especiailly the "Yr faction" players.

Robin was spot on with this. The new maps completely take the fun out of playing Yuri which why only Tojo still plays.

2009 was probably as fair as the game ever was. It's now a case of get all the oils and engi eat if Yuri is stupid enough to even try and get one, tech on the big new map knowing you have loads of time to react to anything Yuri does, spam choppers and wait for IC (or mirages, prisms, bf).

It's to late now but if the 2009 maps were put back sooner then the likes of Hammer (300 games a month) may still be playing.

Also anyone that's ever played yvy knows taking off the supers is also a really bad idea.

It's pretty funny that the player who always hated Yuri the most (Mr Prep) did in the end manage to Kill him off.

#37 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

"quick matching refers to the process of finding a game (quickly) AND also refers to the average length of games played."?

No. Quickmatching refers to the processes of matching two evenly skilled opponents quickly on a random map with fair chance of winning. 

It does in no way ever refer to the length of the games. It's meant for getting quick fair games.

If that would have been the original design idea behind QM for games then the map designs for this game mode would reflect that.

Namely all the maps featured in that game mode would be small sized and prefer a rushing playstyle. Instead they are of varied sizes and offer the chance to use many varied playstyles and strategies, to test the player's overall skills on the game.

#38 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I didn't say all- and the term is interpreted by xwis' map pool. Clearly from stats one can see games average roughly 6mins in the ra2 qm. Maps such as Malibu cliffs take longer and _are_ found in the 26 standard maps of the xwis qm, but they are in the minority.

I'm not a yr player so I can't comment, but I didn't propose the maps or scenarios, I only applied proven techniques for implementing changes to the map pool. The maps themselves were drafted by several veteran yr players- I'm not asking what Westwood intended by the qm function, I'm asking what players generally expect from the map pool

And in any case, I never proposed anything absolute

#39 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

You stated what you thought was the main idea behind QM. I stated what it's generally known as in the gaming arena, how it's considered on many games. 

6 minute games don't really test they player's abilities. In that time it's usually rhino tank fest with some dogs. There's no room to use higher tier options. 

Maps that provide the options to rush and the balance to defend the rush and progress the game into it's late stages.

For example games on hammer and sickle can range between 4-40+ minutes, same with country swing or heck.

They are all rather large maps, taking just one of the largest map into comparison is a bit one sided.

As far as I remember from my QM days, all that QM play styles included was, 70% rhino's and dogs aggression, 30% fast tech for navy/kirovs. 

The maps should be picked according to what provides the most varied opportunities. Such as caverns of siberia, hammer, country swing, heck. 

I'm mostly generalizing, but I belive that would provide the most enjoyable QM experience as there will be more variety to the matches that you play, instead of having to spam only fodder and tanks for a few minutes. Let say 75% varied maps, 25% rush maps.

I'm using loose categories, but I'm sure they are reasonably understandable. At the moment there's a plethora of varied maps on ra2, that could be also used for yr if a map patch for yr is made.

#40 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

Robin was spot on with this. The new maps completely take the fun out of playing Yuri which why only Tojo still plays.

2009 was probably as fair as the game ever was. It's now a case of get all the oils and engi eat if Yuri is stupid enough to even try and get one, tech on the big new map knowing you have loads of time to react to anything Yuri does, spam choppers and wait for IC (or mirages, prisms, bf).

It's to late now but if the 2009 maps were put back sooner then the likes of Hammer (300 games a month) may still be playing.

Also anyone that's ever played yvy knows taking off the supers is also a really bad idea.

It's pretty funny that the player who always hated Yuri the most (Mr Prep) did in the end manage to Kill him off.

The situation in qm now is the 2009 map pool with some of prep's additions kept, this was implemented last month.

#41 kickyou73

kickyou73

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

The situation in qm now is the 2009 map pool with some of prep's additions kept, this was implemented last month.

Not really played for years but this seems like a good idea.

Now if you could just turn supers back on yvy and put dune and blood back in for svy at least then it should play pretty good.

Just need some more players back now.... I will play this month so maybe see you for some games?

#42 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

I think generally speaking if no-one has any major objection's blood and dune should be fine to go back into qm for avy/svy

#43 JoKuJaK

JoKuJaK

b00yaka

• Members
  • 10846 posts
  • XWIS Name: JoKuJaK

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

put it all in.. full frenzy and then make 3 ladder badges... 1 (or 3) for sov, alied and yuri... problem solved...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users