Photo

Proposal for changes to the YR QM

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: YR QM Proposal

"quick matching refers to the process of finding a game (quickly) AND also refers to the average length of games played."?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

As a starting point, implement the YR QM proposal found in this topic (refinements will be ongoing)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hey guys,

As you know, a massive change was implemented some time ago to the YR QM (perhaps a year or more). 

Now having allowed sufficient time for players to become accustomed to the changes I think we can judge the results. Overwhelmingly, it seems players dislike what has been done. Looking at the process in detail, it seems the changes were more to the effect of an "overhaul" rather than a "refinement". Such a sudden and stark change change is often controversial, but over time it appears the objective balance of the game has been skewed.  Additionally, players report that outside of imbalances between factions, the gameplay and game style of the QM has changed. Many of the maps added produce long, campy games and may not suit the concept of a quick match.

Here is my own (one) interpretation of the term quick match: firstly it refers to the process of finding a game (quickly) but also refers to the average length of games played. Games that last in excess of 30mins do not meet this criteria. Nonetheless, of course there are exceptions to the rule. Therefore, in a very general sense, the map pool ought to strike a certain balance between longer games (less) and shorter games.

Between players of equal strength, map features determine this game length and style.  

As an example, here is a description of the "YR QM theme" of 2009 (this was given to me by a veteran YR pro)

While ra2 is based on speed, Yr is more based on tactical ability- making units count, unit spam is useless here. The eco is a lot stronger on yr and lots of techs is something that's in some map's and should stay in qm; for instance Tanya's Training Grounds. Some, however, should be removed due to the layout of the map and techs. Most situations for allies vs soviet on yr work fairly well in the way you can bring most of the units into the game. The problem is when it comes to the yuri faction, putting yuri on a strong eco map or risking having a soviet player in a weak spot against a powerful spot yuri would be a catastrophic mistake, and this where the problem's arise.

The model of the ra2 qm was something I carefully considered when Frank and I started releasing our map patch years ago. Asking essentially, "what has made the ra2 qm so much fun?" Now having witnessed the reaction to the YR QM changes, I don't think a similar process was followed. 

I have discussed the matter with several pro YR players and have developed a new proposal based on their comments and some general guidelines for implementing map changes. This essentially amounts to a rollback to the yr qm of 2009 and the addition of a limited number of new maps/scenarios.

Please look over the list, comment on it and aspects of what makes the yr qm fun and other changes you'd like to see. The feedback gathered here will be used to revise the list and hopefully generate a new map pool for the yr qm (pending that is what players vote in favor of)

Thanks for your consideration here :)
-Josh

YR QM Maps & Settings 2013 (Proposal)

QM of 2009: (mirror match on all)
Tour Of Egypt - AvS
Paris Revisited - AvS, AvY
Deadman's Ridge - AvS
Death Valley Girl - AvS (Supers always on if possible)
Official Tournament Map A - AvS
Pinch Point - AvS
Isle of War - AvS
Meat Grinder - AvS
The Alamo - AvS
DEFCON 6 - AvS
Depth Charge - AvS
Roundhouse Kick - AvS
Stormy Weather - AvS
Lake Blitzen - AvS
May Day - AvS
New Heights - AvS
No Wimps - AvS
Official Tournament Map B - AvS
Snow Valley - AvS
South Pacific - AvS
Tanya's Training Grounds - AvS, AvY
Cold War - AvS
Face Down - AvS
Dry Heat - AvS
Urban Rush - AvS
Blood Feud - All
Dune Patrol - All
Hidden Valley - All
Offense Defense - All
Golden State Fwy - All
Country Swing - All  
Sahara Mirage - All  
Heartland - All - 
Montana DMZ - All 
Hammer and Sickle - All 

New Maps & Settings (mirror match on all)
Hail Mary - SvY
Bridging the Gap - AvS, AvY
A Path Beyond II - AvS
Carville's Convoy - AvS
Happy Trails - AvY
Malibu Cliffs - AvS, AvY
Soveriegn Land - AvS, AvY
Twin Peaks - AvS
Valley of Gems - AvS 
Head for the Hills - AvS, AvY
Arena 33 Forever - AvY
Brink of Disaster - AvS, AvY
Lost Lake - AvS

^^Updated 25/09/2013^^

Dune Patrol , Blood Feud Changed to all matchup's
Soveriegn Land changed from all to AvS and mirror only.

#2 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

I just want to make it clear to all player's who vote/comment or give an opinion here, this is an ongoing process, the idea is to slowly add/remove maps situations in order to achieve a the happy medium. 

if this is implemented, after a month or two the situation will be re-addressed and the community's opinion will be asked for, and changes will be made.

The idea behind this is the fact the last renovation was something the majority of player's thought was a disaster. Rather than throw 102 maps in qm like Prep tryed. We will slowly test this out in order to make the game somewhat more enjoyable for everyone.

If you see something in this proposal you think is unfair/imbalanced or just generally bad please say something. And remember it will always be open for discussion and changes.

Edited by ZiGZaG, 15 May 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#3 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

imo quick match only refers to the speed in which you match an opponent and NOT the duration of the game.

#4 AbRoMoV

AbRoMoV

Für immer frei und ungeteilt.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2180 posts
  • XWIS Name: ZooM

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:46 PM

hooray, finally some change!

#5 SoVsOrDiE

SoVsOrDiE

Music is my religion!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3666 posts
  • XWIS Name: SoVsOrDiE

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

Surely Seke is right in that the 'matching' of a player is fast and the length of the game is just variable, obviously..

#6 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

why is it obvious? I'm not talking about the function of the button...

#7 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:58 AM

I'm of the opinion that quickmatch games should be quicker, I think 10-20 minutes is a very reasonable time for a game vs skilled players, 20-30 happens once in a while in very intense games, but not usually. If a game is pushing 30+ minutes in qm it's one of three categories in my opinion: it's either 1. a stalemate (someone naval stretched and base traded or something along those lines), 2. The map itself is not well suited for any attacking at all (narrow entries/one or two entries), 3. or you're playing against a yuri player. 

The third and first items can't really be changed without changing the underlying mechanics of the game, but the problem with the maps can definitely be changed, and I feel that the suggestion for the change to the maps is appropriate for this to be resolved. The problem with the new maps was mainly that they encouraged long, dragged out, and seemingly uneventful games (at least in my opinion), this is partially due to the fact that sws are random in qm on yuri's now (which I don't think is a bad thing, but I don't think it helped with the maps either as it encouraged a lot more camping between allies and sovs). New maps are definitely necessary for yuri qm, but I don't think a lot of the maps that were added were appropriate for it either though. 

#8 XXxPrePxX

XXxPrePxX

King of Yuris Revenge

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8536 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:48 AM

Hey guys, I just wanted to comment -- The QM proposal that I made back ages ago was to essentially 'dump' it all into qm to squeeze the last bit of fun out of QMing on YR.

I applaud what you guys are doing here, but equalizing things and narrowing it down to gain better competition is kind of silly to me. YR is long gone, and all focus should be turned on ra2.

http://xwis.net/yr/

It just isn't worth it....

But to each their own!

#9 hops11

hops11

Seal

• Warning
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

Hey guys, I just wanted to comment -- The QM proposal that I made back ages ago was to essentially 'dump' it all into qm to squeeze the last bit of fun out of QMing on YR.

I applaud what you guys are doing here, but equalizing things and narrowing it down to gain better competition is kind of silly to me. YR is long gone, and all focus should be turned on ra2.

But to each their own!

the irony of this and a majority of the players on YR QM over the duration have done nothing but complain on how bad you're qm revolution was. thus making some of them leave YR to Ra2.

#10 SoVsOrDiE

SoVsOrDiE

Music is my religion!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3666 posts
  • XWIS Name: SoVsOrDiE

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

Definitely agreed with Prepston, Ra2 needs to be the main focus now. I get the feeling trying to revive YR now would be like trying to put a slug in a slot machine..

#11 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

But to each their own!

I don't really think it's about competition, I mean I'm rank 7 with 175 points right now and it's mid month already, it's more about making qm fun for those few people who still play it. 

#12 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

The idea is simply to put some enjoyment back into the game as many players do not like the current situation. As for all the players saying we should focus on ra2, the aim of xwis is to keep cnc games alive, that includes yr and ts. Yes ra2 is the most active of the games and recieves the most attention. Doesnt mean yr and ts should be ignored.

#13 AbRoMoV

AbRoMoV

Für immer frei und ungeteilt.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2180 posts
  • XWIS Name: ZooM

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

The pool from 2009 was best. That new maps might have some potential although some have been in the pool already (sovereign land for instance.)

I'd encourage every YR player to contribute especiailly the "Yr faction" players.

#14 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

The idea is simply to put some enjoyment back into the game as many players do not like the current situation. As for all the players saying we should focus on ra2, the aim of xwis is to keep cnc games alive, that includes yr and ts. Yes ra2 is the most active of the games and recieves the most attention. Doesnt mean yr and ts should be ignored.

I agree. I support YR QM renovation!

#15 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Add Oceanside AvY!!!!!

#16 Yak

Yak

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • XWIS Name: Yak

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:57 AM

Agree 

#17 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

Olaf can we mabye have a response from you here? This situation needs to be addressed. YR is completely dead, its been dead a long time, but activity was roughly that of TS if not slightly better, Now its at its lowest ever point and some change is needed. 20 nicknames in the current ladder and several of the nicks belong to the same people. 

#18 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10521 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Unfortunately i think its past the point that another QM renovation would fix by itself. 

Maybe having this renovation and a massive advertising push/ another prize invasion would be the only way to boost activity.

Ive considered coming on a lot lately but everytime i look to go on there simply arent any players on... what good is a QM renovation if there are no players there to benefit from it?

Edited by yiddo, 19 July 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#19 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Unfortunately i think its past the point that another QM renovation would fix by itself. 

Maybe having this renovation and a massive advertising push/ another prize invasion would be the only way to boost activity.

Ive considered coming on a lot lately but everytime i look to go on there simply arent any players on... what good is a QM renovation if there are no players there to benefit from it?

I agree but like you all the players look see no-one and therefore dont bother, something has to be changed or fixed, the other two games are doing much better activity wise Ra2 especially obv but id expect yr to at least be on par with TS in terms of activity, given its current situation i wouldnt even have a win/loss limit on yr.

#20 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

I agree but like you all the players look see no-one and therefore dont bother, something has to be changed or fixed, the other two games are doing much better activity wise Ra2 especially obv but id expect yr to at least be on par with TS in terms of activity, given its current situation i wouldnt even have a win/loss limit on yr.

I wonder if its possible to get another prize invasion or similar organised? Like the one grant held a while back.... id be happy to help organise and even donate some prizes... and it could be used to let everyone know of the new QM renovation

Edited by yiddo, 20 July 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#21 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

personally i think its a good idea, kind of need to get an admin involved though imo

#22 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

update coming soon

#23 hardman

hardman

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 10521 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

personally i think its a good idea, kind of need to get an admin involved though imo

Yea it wouldn't work without admin support

#24 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

update coming soon

dum dum dummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

drum roll please.  :weightlift:  :showoff:

#25 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

Paris Revisited - AvS, AvY
Tanya's Training Grounds - AvS, AvY

AvS, AvY is equivalent to All, isn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users