Photo

Windows 8 - Trial and error topic - post your bugs.

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#51 ImNewButOld

ImNewButOld

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

lol@creating a virtual machine to run  ra2. Ive read about it, and it seems like a lot of work for something that does not even work for everyone. Hopefully there will be a better solution, I don't even have windows 7, I think I need to unistall windows 8 completely to reinstall xp, then add all my backed up files to that. Then I can dual boot xp and win8  . I have a bunch of other games to keep me busy till then, because I am not going through all that work.

lol@windows xp to run ra2.

It isn't that much work. Within an hour you have a working virtual machine. As far as I know VMware works fine on Windows 8 so there shouldn't be any problems. I am going to test it on Shuks brand new laptop. To be continued ;)

Edited by ImNewButOld, 19 March 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#52 Shuk

Shuk

RUSH finally in rock and roll HOF!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • XWIS Name: AnarchyX

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

lot of trust in this dutch rusher noob to remote access my new baby :p:P:P

#53 Rocker219

Rocker219

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

Have you found the old QM resolution patch yet?

Its easy to find the qm reso patch.

Old friend im not that noob ;)

#54 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 23 March 2013 - 11:24 AM

Then why are you saying it forces you to the lowest res?

#55 Rocker219

Rocker219

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

Then why are you saying it forces you to the lowest res?

Because its telling me to switch to lower res in custom not just for qm.

. I can create in high res. I just cant join.

Either way I still wouldn't be able to participate in the ladder since I cant use the new maps or auto ss uploader anyway.

#56 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

The QM reso patch normally fixes CM as well

#57 MinusHuman

MinusHuman

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Hello. I have Windows 8 and The Ultimate Collection from EA's Origin Store.

RA2 and YR work great for me in Single Player, and all the menus and everything display properly even at high res. However I can't seem to play online. The game starts, and just after loading, it hangs and asks if I want to vote kick other players or just quit / time out.

I read that this was most likely a router/firewall issue, however I've completely opened every XWIS port using your guides, and I've even disabled Windows Firewall, so I felt I should post about it here. =\

Also, TS/FS have menu problems. 

Edited by MinusHuman, 31 March 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#58 CoLoKurT9

CoLoKurT9

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 02:21 AM

lol@windows xp to run ra2.

It isn't that much work. Within an hour you have a working virtual machine. As far as I know VMware works fine on Windows 8 so there shouldn't be any problems. I am going to test it on Shuks brand new laptop. To be continued ;)

let me know how it works for you

#59 Rocker219

Rocker219

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

The QM reso patch normally fixes CM as well

Yes it did.

Ra2 runs fine from the disk with the reso changer.

I think its your programs olaf that are not compatible.

Edited by Phoenix123, 06 April 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#60 HuskerManiac

HuskerManiac

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

I was recently given the First Decade pack as a gift to play with my brother and a friend. RA2 installs fine and plays the campaign and such fine, but when I go to play multiplayer online, I get through all the steps to adding my nickname and such but then it gets stuck on "Connecting to Westwood Online". My default server is XWIS. I'm not sure what is going on.

I have the EXACT same problem.

#61 Kundalini

Kundalini

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5090 posts
  • XWIS Name: Minjeeta

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

I've looked through this topic and can't find my problem.

I've installed RA2/YR on a Windows 8 64bit system, both programs run but when I play a skirmish there's a lot of lag. The game play is slow, you can't really get started because of how slow it is. I've not tried online play because I don't want the same problem to occur. Is there a solution to this problem? If it will help my system specs are:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79

CPU: Intel core i7 Extreme

Memory 16GB DDR3

Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB DDR5

#62 Ben

Ben

Volatile

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9345 posts
  • XWIS Name: Ben

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:48 PM

I don't know if this helps find out what causes it but typing "hires" makes the buttons disappear on a regular disc install until you click another menu.

Edited by Ben, 02 May 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#63 d3xtro

d3xtro

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

Can't see menus either under Windows 8 with http://xwis.net/downloads/Tiberian-Sun-Multiplayer.exe

Will report back with Windows 7.

Edit: works fine under Windows 7. Dual boot; problem solved!

Edited by d3xtro, 15 July 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#64 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

Yeah I decided to install Windows 8 because I get a free copy, and nothing seems to have worked to fix this other than using Windows 7 directly like the post above.

#65 dawn2dusk

dawn2dusk

Lieutenant

• Duplicate account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

:( TS DOESNT WORK ON WIN 8 TRIED ALL FIX IDEAS

#66 d3xtro

d3xtro

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

Decided to give it another go under Windows 8. Tested with Tiberian-Sun-Multiplayer.exe 2013-Feb-04 23:19:50

If you get "One or more DLL files were missing or damaged. Please reinstall" then you need to open elevated command prompt and run "regsvr32 C:\Program Files (x86)\Tiberian Sun\WOLAPI.DLL".

If you have no menu you need to extract TS_Win8fix.zip to C:\Program Files (x86)\Tiberian Sun

#67 kaboom4u

kaboom4u

Corporal

• Duplicate account
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • XWIS Name: N/A

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:19 PM

I have tried all of these things for windows 8, none of them work. I have heard that maybe having the original disc and installing might work, and I might have to try that out.

#68 Ronykuey

Ronykuey

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new in this fórum and I'm trying to solve some issues I've been having, before I get started let me give you a background:

I own a Macbook Pro 15'' from Early 2011:

Intel i7 2635 @ 2.0Ghz

4 Gb RAM

I purchased the Windows 8 license and made my bootcamp partition, I own TFD and installed it on my Mac, I don't have problems running any game (I'm just checking this before buying The ultimate collection). I solved some problems because YR wouldn't start but everything goes well now. My true problem comes when I want to play online my two fav games RA2 and YR the problem that it states is: "westwood online support library internet components missing" I already installed the WOLregister and nothing happens. Can someone help me out please?

THNX!!!

#69 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:34 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new in this fórum and I'm trying to solve some issues I've been having, before I get started let me give you a background:

I own a Macbook Pro 15'' from Early 2011:

Intel i7 2635 @ 2.0Ghz

4 Gb RAM

I purchased the Windows 8 license and made my bootcamp partition, I own TFD and installed it on my Mac, I don't have problems running any game (I'm just checking this before buying The ultimate collection). I solved some problems because YR wouldn't start but everything goes well now. My true problem comes when I want to play online my two fav games RA2 and YR the problem that it states is: "westwood online support library internet components missing" I already installed the WOLregister and nothing happens. Can someone help me out please?

THNX!!!

Maybe try deleting wsock32.dll and install wolapi from the downloads section. (Top of page --> support --> downloads --> wolapi.)

If that doesn't work then you can always download the multiplayer version from the download section aforementioned. However, these versions do not have the music or the missions. The music, however, can be copied over.

**Edit** make a support topic in the support section of the forums for more help.

Edited by Seke, 05 August 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#70 Ronykuey

Ronykuey

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

Maybe try deleting wsock32.dll and install wolapi from the downloads section. (Top of page --> support --> downloads --> wolapi.)

If that doesn't work then you can always download the multiplayer version from the download section aforementioned. However, these versions do not have the music or the missions. The music, however, can be copied over.

**Edit** make a support topic in the support section of the forums for more help.

All right Seke, I will do what you mentioned and I'll keep you posted then. Hope this Works! Can't wait to play online!!!

:dance:

PS: I delete wsock32.dll no prob, but where do I place the wolapi.exe, can you give me a briefing?

Edited by Ronykuey, 05 August 2013 - 01:27 AM.

#71 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:59 AM

All right Seke, I will do what you mentioned and I'll keep you posted then. Hope this Works! Can't wait to play online!!!

:dance:

PS: I delete wsock32.dll no prob, but where do I place the wolapi.exe, can you give me a briefing?

I assume you'd just place it in the folder. Honestly, I don't really know for the TFD. That's why I suggest to make a support topic or just download the MP version.

#72 Babak

Babak

Commander

• Bounty Hunters
  • 13030 posts
  • XWIS Name: Babak

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

So I've tried a few things. Thought I'd put it here. I have windows 8.

Tried two copies.

1) C&C ULTIMATE COLLECTION

- YR opens fine, and the menu DO refresh fine. Everything works well (including single player gaming, works 100%) until you try to join a game online, and an error comes up every time that basically says the resolution of this game is 640x480 and whether you'd like to match it. If you press yes the match page (where you choose your faction) looks funny and unusable. In the settings, "match player resolution" is turned off. I couldn't find a fix for this...

2) XWIS version (OR: the above ultimate collection copy PATCHED with the XWIS YR updates)

- Menu's don't refresh. In windows 7 doing the technique pointed out by Neo (detect a VGA screen and extending displays) used to fix this issue on this laptop. It no longer does so.... I don't find a fix for this either...

So basically it's very hard to play YR on windows 8 :( hopefully there is a fix for this.

I should mention: considering EA managed to fix the menu refresh issue with the ultimate collection copy of YR means that it's possible to fix. So either find a way to patch the ultimate collection copy to fix the resolution error or figure out how they fixed the menu refresh problem and applying the fix to the XWIS copy. Obviously it's a technical job :p

Edited by Babak, 11 August 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#73 Babak

Babak

Commander

• Bounty Hunters
  • 13030 posts
  • XWIS Name: Babak

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

Not sure if anyone has tried this but contacted EA support and they basically said that Windows 8 is not supported.

#74 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Is anyone aware of a decent virtual machine that you could use to run ra2/yuris? I've tried hyper-v and VMware, hyper-v just died while running it, and VMware requires you to pay to take advantage of better hardware features (at least from what I can tell). 

#75 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

Try Virtual Box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users