57 replies to this topic

#26 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:47 AM

I dont think its unfair or imbalanced the sheer size of this map without anything to make it worthwhile makes me not enjoy it, even if it had some oil's or something it would be a bit better, imagine artic without the oils, it would suck hard and that imo is more or less that alaskan outback map, the fact its standard is a joke.

Eh? I made this map for the reason that QM lacks good long game maps that are balanced, you can still rush if you use the Chinese play-style and move your MCV around a bit more, or the "composite build order" where you build your base in little clusters.

It's a fun map and playing games on it is pleasure, you can rush from first tank off and progress into a 2 way splits then a 3 way as the game gets longer. It's your play style and inability to multi task that make this map 'bad' for you. Which I also know from playing against you.

Dont get me wrong i appreciate the effort, i just think having that map in qm is a bad decision but thats my opinion, i believe most wouldnt want it as a standard map though.

Why aren't these 'most' here grouping up with you and making a poll? I've made many polls on server features in the past to see a community vote and consensus on updates and progression.

Agree with this, I liked playing all of these maps except for Deadman's ridge (didn't like this map on yuri's either) Deadman's ridge is a little bit better with the change in oils but it's still just way too campy and the left side has a much better chance at a rush than the right side too (can walk directly down with your war from the left but not the right).

I agree with Deadman's ridge being mirrored. It's a complete allied map if you think about the layout and all the cliffs. Only thing going for it is the short travel distance between starting points.

#27 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

Eh? I made this map for the reason that QM lacks good long game maps that are balanced, you can still rush if you use the Chinese play-style and move your MCV around a bit more, or the "composite build order" where you build your base in little clusters.

It's a fun map and playing games on it is pleasure, you can rush from first tank off and progress into a 2 way splits then a 3 way as the game gets longer. It's your play style and inability to multi task that make this map 'bad' for you. Which I also know from playing against you.

Why aren't these 'most' here grouping up with you and making a poll? I've made many polls on server features in the past to see a community vote and consensus on updates and progression.

I agree with Deadman's ridge being mirrored. It's a complete allied map if you think about the layout and all the cliffs. Only thing going for it is the short travel distance between starting points.

I can multi task just fine thank you. My playstyle has nothing to do with the reasons i dislike the map, artic requires the same kind of style/play and multitasking except artic u dont have to wait 5 minutes for ur tank to reach the enemy base, the oil's bring a more direct nature into the battle there, making it interesting, your map although nicely designed, makes for imo dull gameplay.

and as for deadmans i would disagree i find it more a soviet map i dont think ive lost vs allies here on ra2, very difficult for an allied player to stop a deso/apoc push here.

#28 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

i think alaskan outback is one of the best maps :matrix:

#29 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Change official tournament map A aswell please rumblekrom.

Left side is faster to mid with connie.

#30 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

too much discussion in the past about tourney a. The 26 standard westwood qm maps will always be left as they have been.

#31 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Alaskan outback is amazin!
Jason has lost to me on deadmans ridge on both ra2 and yr!
Ofic a is a boring map

#32 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

Alaskan outback is amazin!
Jason has lost to me on deadmans ridge on both ra2 and yr!
Ofic a is a boring map

xD our game on deadmans on yuri's was epic and u didnt win it was abck and forth all game and i dcd :( lol dont remember playing u on it on ra2 though

Edited by ZigZag, 07 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#33 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

If maps are really going to be modified, what about pinch point? One side clearly has about double the ore...

#34 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • XWIS Name: djaningar

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Most of the maps are not "balanced"-- meaning that spawning in one spot gives u some advantage over another, or the map just favors a particular faction or strategy.  This, in my humble opinion, is what makes red alert 2 fun; its dynamical--ur alwats fighting in some interesting, asymetrical way. In terms of map pool, if the goal is to make the game as competitive as possible then ALOT of the maps need to be changed. (in my opinion)   But i only play for fun so it does not bother me.

Examples perhaps? Well just scroll through the maps and think about why, on almost all maps, there is always some imbalance.  Take Dmz for example, a very well loved map indeed. However, one side has the port and the other side does not. It does not take a ra2 genius to see how this clearly is a fundamental imbalance that just should not be there. (u can argue that it is compensated for by other aspects of the map, but thats the point: there are imbalances.)    There are very few maps that do not posess some aspect like this.

That being said, if some1 wants to go through the maps (JOSH/RUMBLSOM/DISTANTQ) with me, and talk about what would need to be changed to make them as fair as possible, i suppose i would be willing to do that. 

But until something like that goes down (it doesnt have to be me, just an example),  there is no need to remove maps like another cold day because its imbalanced-- we have all experienced playing as america vs iraq on defcon 6 havnt we? 

Just my 2 cents .   

#35 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

If maps are really going to be modified, what about pinch point? One side clearly has about double the ore...

This has been one map that's been questioned many times. I suggest removing it.

#36 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Most of the maps are not "balanced"-- meaning that spawning in one spot gives u some advantage over another, or the map just favors a particular faction or strategy.  This, in my humble opinion, is what makes red alert 2 fun; its dynamical--ur alwats fighting in some interesting, asymetrical way. In terms of map pool, if the goal is to make the game as competitive as possible then ALOT of the maps need to be changed. (in my opinion)   But i only play for fun so it does not bother me.

Examples perhaps? Well just scroll through the maps and think about why, on almost all maps, there is always some imbalance.  Take Dmz for example, a very well loved map indeed. However, one side has the port and the other side does not. It does not take a ra2 genius to see how this clearly is a fundamental imbalance that just should not be there. (u can argue that it is compensated for by other aspects of the map, but thats the point: there are imbalances.)    There are very few maps that do not posess some aspect like this.

That being said, if some1 wants to go through the maps (JOSH/RUMBLSOM/DISTANTQ) with me, and talk about what would need to be changed to make them as fair as possible, i suppose i would be willing to do that. 

But until something like that goes down (it doesnt have to be me, just an example),  there is no need to remove maps like another cold day because its imbalanced-- we have all experienced playing as america vs iraq on defcon 6 havnt we? 

Just my 2 cents .   

Always have sought ur opinion on new maps Frank (tour q was heavily influenced from your feedback) and Mason did a detailed review of Caverns with me leading to several important revisions. As for the westwood maps, as I said above, there's no consensus (at all) and enough history to prove they are both fun and fair enough to be used in the quickmatch. 

Edited by rumblesom, 07 January 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#37 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

Pinch point is not fun and usually ends up in laming one way or another. 

#38 AMadKirov

AMadKirov

Bad?Aim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1093 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

Can i also request to remove the funny map (City Under Siege) from standard maps? France is the law in that map!

#39 SpecialDe

SpecialDe

High

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • XWIS Name: EDan

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

Can i also request to remove the funny map (City Under Siege) from standard maps? France is the law in that map!

sov engi eat, plus ic gg no re

#40 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

sov engi eat, plus ic gg no re

Oh yeh. The ic is outrageous on that map. there is almost NO chance to take it down, they dont have to travel far to use it, and can get it up without substaining any losses  

#41 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

Oh yeh. The ic is outrageous on that map. there is almost NO chance to take it down, they dont have to travel far to use it, and can get it up without substaining any losses  

planes, paradrops, splits, rokis, chrono legionaires, chronosphere /(& tanya ifv) (all allies of course)...... just to name a few ? 

#42 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Dont forget the spies allied ultimate weapon against supers.

#43 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

I do agree with the mirror on Another Cold Day btw, that map is only made for allied including the unfair oil/air(forgot) on the hill. also big gem field far away were allied can easily transfer miners back + the to small hardcore camp entrance for main base.

Edited by Mikoz, 08 January 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#44 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

I do agree with the mirror on Another Cold Day btw, that map is only made for allied including the unfair oil/air(forgot) on the hill. also big gem field far away were allied can easily transfer miners back + the to small hardcore camp entrance for main base.

i still disagree.... airport is worthless anyway

#45 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

i still disagree.... airport is worthless anyway

how is the airport worthless?

#46 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

airport is way dead its got like 1 health bar and everything else is far more important, how often do u get the airport on that map?

and the derrick in the middle has a bridge to it, so that derrick doesnt favor allies, airport, maybe, but airport is like way dead and soviet can get apoc-deso/IC

#47 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

airport is way dead its got like 1 health bar and everything else is far more important, how often do u get the airport on that map?

and the derrick in the middle has a bridge to it, so that derrick doesnt favor allies, airport, maybe, but airport is like way dead and soviet can get apoc-deso/IC

airport being almost dead makes no difference sovs cant even scout it and probably wont go to the hassle, u can always repair it if u want but there isnt much point. if the game comes to a bastrade that island is strategically important and yes theres a bridge that needs repaired an extra 500 for the soviet where as the allied player will already have a chopper for airport.. i Play sovs its far too much hassle for me to get the airport. apoc deso can be done on any map, the units you create doesnt define which faction is better suited to the map, same can be sayed for ic.. and supers arent always on.. the para is far from worthless imo especially with the fact the entrance's of attack are on bridges and a small easily defendible area at the top, which u can cram with free para.. or use to hit structures, thats like saying playing as America is worthless? 

#48 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

America sucks hahaha

#49 PiNeRs

PiNeRs

2v2er

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

planes, paradrops, splits, rokis, chrono legionaires, chronosphere /(& tanya ifv) (all allies of course)...... just to name a few ? 

On city under siege dude? nonsense

#50 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:36 AM

On city under siege dude? nonsense

yh but people say stuff like " you cant stop ------" and then people say "what you can do --------------" and then tjhe other guy says " but --------" and so it goes....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users