No AvS:
Another Cold Day

Disabled:
Arden River
Deadman's Ridge
Glowing Waters
Savage Winter

Another cold day no avs i understand.

why the rest? and by disabled do u mean completely removed?

#3 AbRoMoV

AbRoMoV

Für immer frei und ungeteilt.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2180 posts
  • XWIS Name: ZooM

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

Due to balance issues the following changes are made:

No AvS:
Another Cold Day

Disabled:
Arden River
Deadman's Ridge
Glowing Waters
Savage Winter

:(

#4 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Another cold day no avs i understand.

why the rest? and by disabled do u mean completely removed?

i dont understand?

#5 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

I just dont get the actions who'd be taken. Theres nothing wrong with these maps and nothing has been asked to the active community.

and by disabled do u mean completely removed?

No they just have been disabled.

So for everyone who would still like to play these maps > xwis.net > game account > ra2 maps > ENABLE the disabled ones you like.

#6 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

i dont understand?

Read below.

No AvS: Mirror only.
Another Cold Day

Temporary disabled until rebalanced by Joshua: The following won't be included in the map pool.

Arden River
Deadman's Ridge
Glowing Waters
Savage Winter

I would also like to say that maps like cold war need their preview fixed.

Also I would like to talk about further developments on the map patch.
Is Josh still in charge of it, as last I talked to him he retired from that area.
This was since the QM renovation. This topic here : http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/171572-ra2-quick-match-renovation-2011-december/

Which was over a year ago. I would like to review the renovation and see the possibility of adding the Official WW maps into the map patch as well.
Instead of porting them through my UOP.

#7 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Id much rather have any one of those maps as standard than that rubbish map alaskan outback.

i dont understand?

well by that i meant that another cold day is imbalanced, i dont see much of a problem on the other's though :S

#8 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

hi everyone. I did not retire. I am working on correcting balance issues with the maps mentioned in the OP. The maps are temporarily disabled. Alaskan Outback is set to be made mirrored as well.

And Zig, as contentious as Martin can be, Alaskan Outback is symetrical and meticulously balanced in terms of resource distribution. I agree it is FAR too large for "quick"matches but nonetheless is a fine map and one which no doubt took a great deal of time and care to make.

I prefer it be moved to non-standard, but with mirroring, no one can claim the map unfair.

#9 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

hi everyone. I did not retire. I am working on correcting balance issues with the maps mentioned in the OP. The maps are temporarily disabled. Alaskan Outback is set to be made mirrored as well.

And Zig, as contentious as Martin can be, Alaskan Outback is symetrical and meticulously balanced in terms of resource distribution. I agree it is FAR too large for "quick"matches but nonetheless is a fine map and one which no doubt took a great deal of time and care to make.

I prefer it be moved to non-standard, but with mirroring, no one can claim the map unfair.

I dont think its unfair or imbalanced the sheer size of this map without anything to make it worthwhile makes me not enjoy it, even if it had some oil's or something it would be a bit better, imagine artic without the oils, it would suck hard and that imo is more or less that alaskan outback map, the fact its standard is a joke.

#10 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

it would not be comparable to artic circle as the bridges alone are a key distinction. It is more comparable to full Heck imo, but I don't argue that for quickmatches it is unreasonable due to its size. Nonetheless I respect the work that went into it, and after mirroring, find worse faults in the aforementioned maps set for revision.

to add to that, I will attempt to complete these ASAP (hopefully within 2 weeks at most)

Edited by rumblesom, 04 January 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#11 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

it would not be comparable to artic circle as the bridges are a key distinction. It is more comparable to full Heck imo, but I don't argue that for quickmatches it is unreasonable due to its size. Nonetheless I respect the work that went into it, and after mirroring, find worse faults in the aforementioned maps set for revision.

to add to that, I will attempt to complete these ASAP (hopefully within 2 weeks at most)

Dont get me wrong i appreciate the effort, i just think having that map in qm is a bad decision but thats my opinion, i believe most wouldnt want it as a standard map though.

#12 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

fair enough :) lets see what comes in the next couple weeks :)

#13 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

than that rubbish map alaskan outback.

the fact its standard is a joke.

Can't we be a little less unfriendly and a bit more constructive?

#14 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Can't we be a little less unfriendly and a bit more constructive?

Ill try. :)

However i like to get my point across and will continue to do so, in the hope that the game stays fun and worth playing. Changing Yr's maps absolutely destroyed qm,

I wouldnt like to see ra2 go the same way.

Edited by ZigZag, 04 January 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#15 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

However i like to get my point across and will continue to do so,

That's unlikely to succeed by being unconstructive and unfriendly.

in the hope that the game stays fun and worth playing. Changing Yr's maps absolutely destroyed qm,

Talk to Prep and/or propose changes with good arguments. Map pools aren't set in stone you know?

#16 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

^ http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/forum/370-yuris-revenge-maps/

#17 SoVsOrDiE

SoVsOrDiE

Music is my religion!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3666 posts
  • XWIS Name: SoVsOrDiE

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

I don't really know 3 of the 4 that have been disabled, but I kinda liked Glowing Waters. Sad to see it go :[

#18 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

well by that i meant that another cold day is imbalanced

k, explain it to me

i have every map in QM enabled...

#19 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

k, explain it to me

i have every map in QM enabled...

Well allies have easy access to extra oil + para both of which are costly for soviet to obtain and will make a difference throughout the game, the layout of the map suits the versatility of air units e.g rockies, planes, making it difficult for soviet's to defend (basically they need to use cannon's etc rather than flack tracks or fall very behind in tank production) meaning more power plants, less warfacs, the allied miner chrono ability allows them to take full advantage of the battle at the gems. and gather the majority of the gems. where as sov cant really send all his miners down there, not saying a sov cant win here, its like Symetrically even but imo suits allies better. Just like tourny A symetrically even but suits sovs better but then tourny is imbalanced in svos favour.

Edited by ZigZag, 04 January 2013 - 11:27 PM.

#20 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

No AvS:
Another Cold Day

Temporary disabled until rebalanced by Joshua:
Arden River
Deadman's Ridge
Glowing Waters
Savage Winter

Personally I think;

Another Cold Day is very mixed dependant on peoples playing styles. Can be better for both sovs and alllies. Maybe Allies long game, but sovs also short game, unless superweapons on, sovs can own it too. I Dont know why this is being disabled...

Glowing waters is an amazingly even map, but better allied players may be able to win due to water / roki splits - but decent sovs do very very well here too.... again not sure why this is being changed as its amazing map.

Savage winter is very even map, both Mirror and AvS.

Deadmans ridge is a bit campy, and would be more campy with Mirror only in my opinion.

Arden river, not too sure.

#21 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

Well allies have easy access to extra oil + para both of which are costly for soviet to obtain and will make a difference throughout the game, the layout of the map suits the versatility of air units e.g rockies, planes, making it difficult for soviet's to defend (basically they need to use cannon's etc rather than flack tracks or fall very behind in tank production) meaning more power plants, less warfacs, the allied miner chrono ability allows them to take full advantage of the battle at the gems. and gather the majority of the gems. where as sov cant really send all his miners down there, not saying a sov cant win here, its like Symetrically even but imo suits allies better. Just like tourny A symetrically even but suits sovs better but then tourny is imbalanced in svos favour.

So, you're saying allies have a slight advantage on a map?

If Olaf is going to take AvS out for this map when allies have a slight advantage on one map you might as well make all maps mirrored.

#22 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Personally I think;

Another Cold Day is very mixed dependant on peoples playing styles. Can be better for both sovs and alllies. Maybe Allies long game, but sovs also short game, unless superweapons on, sovs can own it too. I Dont know why this is being disabled...

Glowing waters is an amazingly even map, but better allied players may be able to win due to water / roki splits - but decent sovs do very very well here too.... again not sure why this is being changed as its amazing map.

Deadmans ridge is a bit campy, and would be more campy with Mirror only in my opinion.

Deadmans ridge believe it or not is more campy AvS than SvS, and mason im just saying yes allies have an advantage on it and imo its a decent advantage, but i would also remove the likes of tourny a because of the fact sovs have quite an advantage there. This idea that allies have next to 0 maps in qm where they are the stronger side is imo nonsense, there are plenty maps in qm where it is more beneficial to play as allies rather than soviets, due to map layout.

#23 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Personally I think;

Agree with this, I liked playing all of these maps except for Deadman's ridge (didn't like this map on yuri's either) Deadman's ridge is a little bit better with the change in oils but it's still just way too campy and the left side has a much better chance at a rush than the right side too (can walk directly down with your war from the left but not the right).

#24 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Agree with this, I liked playing all of these maps except for Deadman's ridge (didn't like this map on yuri's either) Deadman's ridge is a little bit better with the change in oils but it's still just way too campy and the left side has a much better chance at a rush than the right side too (can walk directly down with your war from the left but not the right).

Can actually place first barracks down cliff on yr, is much easier to rush from left yea.

#25 Crisis

Crisis

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

[/b]

Can actually place first barracks down cliff on yr, is much easier to rush from left yea.

Yeah with the bunker, playing AvS on that map when the sovs is on the left is a huge pain on yuri's if they decide to try for the engi eat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users