65 replies to this topic

#1 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

Many games limited high resolution online and some others considered it as a cheat (like Diablo 2).
I just find it a bit lame that my opponent can see half of the map with his 2*** resolution while i only see a small part.
In addition high resolution allow to easy spot micro/splits and avoid scrolling the screen every 5 sec to see if something wrong happening.

So why not to add screen resolution limit (max 1600 for example) to the QM and CM games?

#2 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

As if we haven't got enough problems, wanna restrict players from playing in a resolution they are comfortable and happy with?

#3 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

As if we haven't got enough problems, wanna restrict players from playing in a resolution they are comfortable and happy with?

Of course no, but i think everyone should have the same chances to win a game.

#4 No0bziLLa

No0bziLLa

[Banned]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • XWIS Name: No0bZiLLa

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

1920x1200 is a good reso. anything above that and it becomes difficult to manage under certain circumstances

#5 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:16 PM

Exactly at some point it actually becomes a disadvantage

#6 miketehmaster

miketehmaster

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Daydream if you knew anything about strategy games you would know they are about timing, in even the basics like checkers, you got the option to move any piece you want, but you can only move, per turn,

in ra2, you also have the option to do ONLY ONE thing at a time, no matter how fast you think your "multitasking" you are really doing one task quick and moving onto another fast

Resolution does not effect skil, I myself use a small resolution on Tiberian sun,ra2,starcraft 2, and I am easily a top player on most of those, I'm even hard on ra2 and I came back like a week ago.

The fact remains, Skill is relevant to your mind making a list it uses every game, forgetting to do something, or doing something slow means you forgot for a second, strategy games are memory games, are you remembering to control your ore trucks? to scout enemy, to watch enemy, ru remembering to keep buildin units, planes, and buildings, are you remembering to not overproduce so you crash your economy, are you remembering to stay above low power? are you remembering to capture techs if possible? are you remembering to use hotkeys throughout the entire game, are you remembering to use control groups, attack move, grouping units, are you remembering to make the proper "counter", are you remembering to keep your money low(not broke) etc.

Then talent I consider being naturally good at controling units, but this can also be learned through experience.

no offense about not knowing strategy games, its just I studied them for 13 + years lol

Edited by miketehmaster, 26 October 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#7 Shauny

Shauny

EF Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8667 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Wow funniest thread iv seen for a while. Lets buy a 23" monitor only to be restricted to what reso you can play. Darft idea imo and obv it would never happen. If you need an adantage over an opponent having a bigger reso isint just the way :D You know what they say. IF you cant beat them. Join them :thumbsup:

Edited by Shauny, 26 October 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#8 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Sry miketeh, but a high resolution makes things 10x easier. But daydream shutup and equipment is always a part of games, should you restrict people using laser mouses because they move faster? Not allowed to use mouses with hotkeys on them? Not allowed to change hotkeys?. you can play on max normal resolution and still be good, I've done it during 07 and recently when I was playing with latof. And I was a lot better in.07 then I am now. Complainers these days lol

#9 miketehmaster

miketehmaster

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:10 PM

Your perference is it's easier, I think it makes building slower, and control sloppier, sure you may feel more comfortable but i bet you have trouble(without health navigation key) to move injured units to back whereas I(small reso) can build 2x your speed and move units . :] but I know what you mean I have big monitor but i CHOOSE to play on smaller reso because I personally enjoy the intense feeling not the laid back feeling

but your post is spot on I think expand, it doesnt matter is the main point, in a REAL LIFE tournament like the ones ive been to on SC2, they give you a computer, same size as enemy, and you can only use standard mouse.. but this is not tournys this is online ffg's too

P.s. it was local tournys nothing gsl or special, im far from pro, but im good, master league

Edited by miketehmaster, 26 October 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#10 BornL33T

BornL33T

Drug Baron

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1321 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

Sry miketeh, but a high resolution makes things 10x easier. But daydream shutup and equipment is always a part of games, should you restrict people using laser mouses because they move faster? Not allowed to use mouses with hotkeys on them? Not allowed to change hotkeys?. you can play on max normal resolution and still be good, I've done it during 07 and recently when I was playing with latof. And I was a lot better in.07 then I am now. Complainers these days lol

In your case you can use +2000 resolution at 42" screen with laser mouse and Razor keyboard, you know why? because you suck nab.
I remember last time you come to GR so you got crashed and returned to xwis in pieces, i think you should focus on playing your moded maps but feel free to use whatever needed including better 3rd party programs like the one allowing multiclicks that you already use.
------------------

Ok very interesting discussion guys, maybe this is late to say this in 2012 but i really don't find any difference between a hack that allow to see unscouted zones and a high resolution that allow to see x1.5 of the map, same advantage imo.

#11 ExpaNd

ExpaNd

RanDoMiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3828 posts
  • XWIS Name: ExpaNd

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:06 PM

In your case you can use +2000 resolution at 42" screen with laser mouse and Razor keyboard, you know why? because you suck nab.
I remember last time you come to GR so you got crashed and returned to xwis in pieces, i think you should focus on playing your moded maps but feel free to use whatever needed including better 3rd party programs like the one allowing multiclicks that you already use.
------------------

Ok very interesting discussion guys, maybe this is late to say this in 2012 but i really don't find any difference between a hack that allow to see unscouted zones and a high resolution that allow to see x1.5 of the map, same advantage imo.

I win vs anyone on gr lol ur terrible.
Sry if u think I use 3rd party programs to increase skill lol

#12 volkots

volkots

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • XWIS Name: n/a

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Isn't there an option in custom games like RESTRICTED RESOLUTION?

#13 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:19 PM

But daydream shutup

He's entitled to an idea and its discussion, there's no need for this.

#14 XWISMOSTWANTED

XWISMOSTWANTED

Forum Warrior

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2850 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

Your perference is it's easier, I think it makes building slower, and control sloppier, sure you may feel more comfortable but i bet you have trouble(without health navigation key) to move injured units to back whereas I(small reso) can build 2x your speed and move units . :] but I know what you mean I have big monitor but i CHOOSE to play on smaller reso because I personally enjoy the intense feeling not the laid back feeling

but your post is spot on I think expand, it doesnt matter is the main point, in a REAL LIFE tournament like the ones ive been to on SC2, they give you a computer, same size as enemy, and you can only use standard mouse.. but this is not tournys this is online ffg's too

P.s. it was local tournys nothing gsl or special, im far from pro, but im good, master league

yo, whats ur nick on Ra2?

#15 zMarsHz

zMarsHz

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts
  • XWIS Name: voZ

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

seriously? go buy a bigger monitor and don't whine -_-

#16 SovForce1

SovForce1

Comrade

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1323 posts
  • XWIS Name: Buffalo

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

i just checked, ra2 doesnt have the option like yuri. thats wat u get for not playing the better game :)

Attached Files

#17 Chrisev

Chrisev

CnCSaga Staff since 2009

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9132 posts
  • XWIS Name: Chrisev

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'm using 1920*1080, someone is using bigger than this ? I think this is the best I've seen on XWIS (reano was using biggest on YR i think)

Edited by Chrisev, 27 October 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#18 tbiol

tbiol

Captain

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2615 posts
  • XWIS Name: tbiol

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:18 AM

ScreenWidth=1024

ScreenHeight=768
StretchMovies=no

Does manipulating this file create larger resolutions???

Cause Chris you are showing 2560 x 1440 on your auto ss, was that done here?

#19 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

Yes, it can be changed there.

#20 tbiol

tbiol

Captain

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2615 posts
  • XWIS Name: tbiol

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:25 AM

how crazy can one get?

#21 dsector

dsector

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3696 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:57 AM

It depends on your video card and/or monitor. Check to see what's the highest resolution you can select in Windows.

#22 AlliedPlayer

AlliedPlayer

Allied BOSS

• Donators
  • 15264 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Its limited to ur monitor and video card as dsectorrrrr suggests

#23 Chrisev

Chrisev

CnCSaga Staff since 2009

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9132 posts
  • XWIS Name: Chrisev

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:06 PM

Cause Chris you are showing 2560 x 1440 on your auto ss, was that done here?

For my 2560*1140 resolution, yes

#24 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

You're an idiot. Westwood limited the original resolution to stop exactly this kind of reso abuse.

Why do players have the be comfortable? They can all play on 800x or 1024x or at the most 1680x. xD

#25 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

You're an idiot. Westwood limited the original resolution to stop exactly this kind of reso abuse.

Why do players have the be comfortable? They can all play on 800x or 1024x or at the most 1680x. xD

"Reso abuse" now. This isn't Westwood nub.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users