#1 Mole40k

Mole40k

Seal

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • XWIS Name: Mole40k

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hi guys, here's a quick FF guide for players new to FF or looking to improve in basic 8 player play. I typed this up in about 15 mins so if there are typos, or I've missed anything major out, please forgive me.

Forest Fires: the guide
by Mole40k

Forest Fires (FF) is one of TS’s most popular multiplayer maps. It’s a varied map with lots of possibility for expansion and variation of tactics. The following guide is designed as a brief introduction for anyone seeking to improve their gameplay in 8-player Forest Fires games.

The basics

As with all games of TS, the basic aim of FF is to destroy your opponents(s) while leaving as much of your own base intact as possible. In large team games the central aim is to defeat the opposing team with (hopefully) your whole team still left alive.

1. The first and most important job you have as soon as the game starts, is to scout. This cannot be overstated enough. This means scouting the area around your base, this means scouting your allies, and this means crucially, scouting your opponents. If you can’t see your opponents, then you can’t see what’s coming, and similarly, you can’t attack them either. If you don’t scout, you won’t win. Simple as.
2. The second most important task in a game of FF is to ally, and ally fast. Allying allows you to see any areas your team mates scout, and allows them to see the areas you scout. As this is after all, a team game, the more you see as a team, the better you can react, and the better you can attack. No allies = no coordination = no win.
3. Your third task, is to stop enemy scouts. This doesn’t necessarily just include stopping scouts to your own base, but also your allies’ if scouts are passing through you, or if you’re in a position to stop them. After all, the less your opponents can see, the less they can attack, and the stronger your own element of surprise!
4. Fourth and most importantly of all, your task, should you choose to accept it, is to attack. Attack is at the very heart of TS. If you don’t attack, you don’t win. If all you do is sit and make a pretty base, then in the time you’re doing this, your opponents will be attacking you and your team mates, and will ultimately win the match. Of course this isn’t to say you can’t exercise some creativity in your play – but only once you’ve mastered the basics! It’s all well and good having a beautifully laid out base, but if it isn’t effective, and if it leads to your team’s defeat, then it’s a complete waste of time!

Scouting tips

· An effective scout doesn’t necessarily have to mean you scout your opponent’s entire base. In FF especially, there are areas of the map around each base which can be just as important to scout. These ‘blind spots’ are great for launching flank attacks, or for setting up subsequent scout or attack moves. For example, this can allow for ‘sub duck’ scouts (see my player’s guide), or for cross scouts using planes or carryalls.
· If you manage to get infantry onto the opposite side of the map, split them up! A group of infantry are far easy to track and kill than many men going in different directions. Splitting up your infantry also means you can scout out crucial areas, and will help keep your opponents on their toes!

Anti-scout tips

· Scout as much as possible. The more you scout, the more you can see scouts that are sent towards you and your allies. Scouting your base and the surrounding area is also useful for expansion.
· All spots on FF have a primary entrance, but many also have a secondary entrance. Learn the map, and learn where your position is vulnerable to scouts. Top left (TL) for example, has a weakness above and to the right (above the outcrop with the blue tib on). Here an apc can very easily enter the rear of your base, and similarly, JJs from TM can sneak by sams and land in one of left side’s ‘blind spots’.
· Place sams / build rocket men as and when necessary. This isn’t always required (if for instance, your opponents are all nod), but if you do have a position that isn’t one of the two power spots, then chances are you will need a sam or two. Again, know the map, know the most likely directions for JJs to approach, and know where best to place anti-air defence.

General tips

· Know your spot, and know your ‘job’ (these will be explained below). Don’t let your team mates down.
· Harvester control. This isn’t a mod map – you don’t have infinite funds. Control your harvesters so they’re always eating the closest tib to your refs for optimum economy.
· Communicate. If a disruptor is being prepared in an opponent’s base, give warning and keep an eye on it. Observation and communication are crucial to team games of TS.
· Know your opponents. Single-faction teams are easier to play against than multi-faction teams. If your opponents are all nod, there’s less need for titans, and similarly, if your opponents are all gdi, then infantry around buildings aren’t really necessary.
· Help your allies. If you have banshees, or a MK, then use them to defend your allies as much as to attack your opponents. Don’t let your allies die if you can help it!
· EMP is your friend. It can also be your allies’ friend. If you make EMP, be sure to make it where a) your opponents can’t see it, and b) where it can cover your nearest ally (if applicable).
· Expand. One of the main things that differentiates the average players from the elites is expansion. Know when to expand at the right time, and learn how best to expand for your spot.

Top 5 ways for your team to lose

· Team members don’t scout and don’t ally fast enough.
· Waste power spots.
· Bunker needlessly (NB: stealth will NOT help you).
· Failure to expand.
· Suicide tactics.

The spots, and how to play them (in brief)

Left Side

Top Left (TL): Make inf straight away and send them to the bridge. Kill the bridge ASAP, and if possible, send men over to scout. Also, ally with LM as soon as you can. Typically this is done by placing an infantry unit at the cliff edge where LM can see you and ally. Also be careful of JJ scouts from TM and from the middle right portion of the map. Watch out for scouts and attacks from the weakness to the top of your starting position.
Left Middle (LM): Often this spot is played as a ‘1 ref’ spot, though rarely does this succeed long term as very often LM is scouted easily and is left undefended. This can be a tricky spot to play well, but the key is to time expansion just right, to control harvesters well, and to scout, scout, scout!
Bottom Left (BL): Arguably the best spot on the map, this is one of the two ‘power spots’ and is absolutely key to the success of the team. Play this well, and you can win your team the game. Play it badly, and your life will be x10 as hard. Some people 1 ref from this spot, but a good ‘safe’ build is to 2 ref into your standard attack.
Bottom Middle (BM): You job, is quite simply, to survive. To help you do this, you should ally as quickly as possible. Also, try and scout BR as soon as you can once you’re allied to help your allies help you. Very often BM is the first spot on the left side to get attacked, and more often than not, by more than one player. While bunking can work, don’t forget the best form of defence is often offence – just watch out for 1 reffers from the rest of the right side team!

Right Side

Top Middle ™: First thing’s first, always send infantry to get the bridge that’s below your base. Stop infantry scouts from TL if you can and blow the bridge. Watch out for JJs from all three sides, as well as subs coming from up the cliff. TM is a rather exposed spot, and isn’t the best for economy, so a solid ‘safe’ build is normally best here.
Top Right (TR): The best spot on the right hand side, TR is FF’s second ‘power spot’ and is key to the success of the team. Again, don’t bunker. If you’re scouted, then fine, make some defence as necessary, but remember your role in the team – you have most tib, and the best expansion spots for the right hand side so make use of your great position!
Right Middle (RM): Another tricky spot, just like LM, RM requires some finense, but does offer a number of options to the more confident player, as the close proximity to BR means you are best placed to support your team’s most vulnerable member.
Bottom Right (BR): Move your MCV up a bit at the start. This brings you closer to the tib and makes your base easier to defend. Of course this also puts you ‘behind’ BM in terms of build speed, but 85% of players in this spot will make the move, and with good reason. If possible, do try and stop infantry passing you and scouting further into the right side. Sams and EMP are your friend here, but watch out for counter-EMP, from BM and of course, attacks from other members of the left team.

Edited by Mole40k, 13 October 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#2 Ste_J

Ste_J

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

Interesting, but in part 3 of the basics, you say the less your allies can see, the less they can attack, when really you want the opponents to be faced with that conundrum!!! ;*D

#3 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Looks good from an efforts point of view (Don't know enough of TS to fully understand).

It might be nice to have some guides like this in a dedicated forum, sub'd under TS. (If there's going to be more to come)

Oh, and http://ra2maps.zzattack.org/tsmaps/Forest%20Fires%20%286-8%29.png < images are always nice :p

#4 Ste_J

Ste_J

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

I remember once on FF when Middlesky was elite, and I was unfortunate enough to be br while he was bm!!!! ;*( For some reason, I was always getting paired against him, even though he'd always be the best on the other team!!!! ;*( He'd VERY OFTEN be directly opposite me on BB, too!!!!!!! ;*(

#5 miketehmaster

miketehmaster

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

lol mole is such a good writer . i just read it and i didnt even know that tm was that exposed til i thought about it, i often count rm tm and bm as D then offense spots, not so much LM coz they cant land near ur refs n shoot below cliff like they do to rm ;x was a nice read, well descripted

#6 Mole40k

Mole40k

Seal

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

@ Stej: Whoops, that was a typo on my part. This was just a quick guide. I have edited the post to say opponents instead of allies now.

@ Mike: thanks! TM is super-exposed in my opinion as you're open from all sides, and if TL is nod then it's easy to sub scout up the cliff. Another problem I think is that you're the furthest distance-wise from your allies, just like BM, but in BM's case, allies generally try and help as it's well recognised as the spot that gets attacked most on left side.

I'd be quite interested to see people's different approaches to TM, as it can potentially be quite a difficult spot to play. In the past I've seen people move mcv and build barracks down cliff to beat TL to the bridge, but doing this then slows you down. To counter this players then get the blue tib first, but then you find you have a base that is hard to defend as your MCV is above the cliff, and your refs are below the cliff. Another option I've seen that's pretty risky is to try and force fire discs down the cliff to hit the bridge. Very tricky and a massive risk, but I have seen it done!

@Neo: It would be great if we could have a tactics sub-forum in the TS section. A big problem with the layout at present I think is there's no way to distinguish tactics posts between ra2 and TS. As there's so much ra2 stuff in there, it's very hard to see the TS-specific stuff. What do you think?

#7 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

Sure, I would love to see a sub TS tactics forum. (If I see there's regular entries like this I'll make it happen).

#8 Mole40k

Mole40k

Seal

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Well I can work on it. Unfortunately I did loads of interesting tactics stuff on the old non-ST TS forums, using 'before and after' screenshots but I guess it's all been lost as they died off. I will work on stuff gradually if you are able to set up a sub forum in here for us to use.

#9 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

You might be able to pull some of these back via http://archive.org/

#10 Mole40k

Mole40k

Seal

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Yeah I hope I can. I've written tons of tactical guides for TS over the years. Will post all my stuff in here for now, and will move to a sub forum as and when you get that up. Thanks.

#11 miketehmaster

miketehmaster

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

So your telling me I could of been force firing discs from TM cliff to hit bridge instead of wallking around the entire time?? That could of saved me some effort lol

#12 Ste_J

Ste_J

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for all your effort, Mole. ;*D

#13 ItsMeSeb

ItsMeSeb

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Very nice guide for beginners mole gj

So your telling me I could of been force firing discs from TM cliff to hit bridge instead of wallking around the entire time?? That could of saved me some effort lol

nope you cant i tried this many times. Far as I can remember you can break the bridge that way but only at a point where infs can still pass.

#14 Mole40k

Mole40k

Seal

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hmmm i think this sounds like a challenge!!!

#15 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:36 PM

Map thumbnails might be handy too (if needed ) http://xhp.xwis.net/documents/ts/multi_maps/ . Saying that I think we had a load of them on xwis.us (might be worth asking Sean he should be able to link you if you need all of them)

#16 miketehmaster

miketehmaster

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Thank you neoGRANT : ]

#17 Ste_J

Ste_J

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yes, it is commendable that the various XWIS staff who prefer RA2 (not just the ones dedicated to TS), are putting such a concentrated effort into TS, despite how ungrateful we've been in the past!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users