Photo

XWIS Control Panel - Have your say.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: Xwis Control Panel. Have your view.

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Would you have approved for it be implemented in its current state?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Would you like to see the control panel removed, and left as optional for account management?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

The community opinions matter but unfortunately they don't get through as they should. In this case, the control panel wasn't properly thought through and thus we have seen many support issues arrisen from it, and countless times myself staff, and even you guys have assisted members with a common topic...What password. Invalid Password. Can't Create Nickname.

In your opinion would you like to see the control panel removed and placed as an optional account management?

Questions are in the poll.

Personally I saw this as the easiest tutorial in the history of this site, yet the control panel went and complicated it when it didn't need fixing.

Remember this?

Registering your nickname.
Registering a nickname on XWIS is as simple as logging in.
You no longer need to use the Westwood Registration pages, or the account creation menu in your game.
Simply connect to XWIS by clicking "internet" in your game menu, and login with your desired username and password. Once you have logged in that nickname is automatically registered for you.

I'd like to see it be put back. Anyone else?

BTW this isn't a vote that will change anything, that's ultimately up to Olaf. This is just to see everyone's thoughts.

http://web.archive.org/web/20060505183422/http://xwis.net/nuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=21

Edited by NeoGrant, 23 August 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#2 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

you should still be able to join/leave clans via lobby, if possible, creating nicks should also be able to work via the "create nick" or whatever its equivalent is via the RA2 interface.

control panel should NOT be removed because of things like choosing maps would be impossible to do through other means

also, just like highlight "xwis password" and include a link to FAQ on the cp or something

#3 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

you should still be able to join/leave clans via lobby, if possible, creating nicks should also be able to work via the "create nick" or whatever its equivalent is via the RA2 interface.

control panel should NOT be removed because of things like choosing maps would be impossible to do through other means

also, just like highlight "xwis password" and include a link to FAQ on the cp or something

Keeping control panel optional for this would be fine. Why must we stick with the control panel as the required, and only nick creation method. Why complicate a system that was almost flawless before?

Edited by NeoGrant, 23 August 2012 - 10:42 PM.

#4 Sean3z

Sean3z

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • XWIS Name: sean3z

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

In lieu of the New Account button (APIREG server), the previous method for creating and managing nicks/clans was far easier than the current Control Panel. It's convoluted, unattractive and unfriendly to new and returning users.

Users should also have the ability to create and manage their own "Game" passwords.

#5 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Keeping control panel optional for this would be fine. Why must we stick with the control panel as the required, and only nick creation method. Why complicate a system that was almost flawless before?

I agree to both points and have made my case about it in the past. The old system should have remained, and should now be re-added.

Users should also have the ability to create and manage their own "Game" passwords.

When I've created nicks for players in foreign countries I frequently get asked to change the password to something of their choice, which isn't possible atm. So, yes, I agree; players should be able to create their own passwords.

I do, however, think that an XWIS password should be generated in anyway, in which case the player can simply go to the CP and find it. (in case a pw is forgotten/lost)

Edited by Seke, 23 August 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#6 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

I do, however, think that an XWIS password should be generated in anyway, in which case the player can simply go to the CP and find it. (in case a pw is forgotten/lost)

Or to just enter another custom one

#7 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

Or to just enter another custom one

oh yeah, that would be good too

#8 tbiol

tbiol

Captain

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2615 posts
  • XWIS Name: tbiol

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

would there still be a limitation on the number of nick names per serial?

would there be a time-limit on how long you must maintain a nick?

I don't think the unlimited number of nicks is a benefit

#9 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

I don't think the unlimited number of nicks is a benefit

it was still limited to 9per serial before

#10 zMarsHz

zMarsHz

Colonel

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5788 posts
  • XWIS Name: voZ

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

1.) once learning the CP it was a simple thing to use, it works well for nick managment and such, however it kind of stale, just as the ladder is, i think they should be spruced up, like the ladder you and seanz made.

2.) we should keep the CP and make it more user friendly and be made more aware of

#11 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

1.) once learning the CP it was a simple thing to use, it works well for nick managment and such, however it kind of stale, just as the ladder is, i think they should be spruced up, like the ladder you and seanz made.

2.) we should keep the CP and make it more user friendly and be made more aware of

I don't think any of us want to get rid of CP. We want to keep it as an option, but also reinstate the old way.

#12 JonasAKAFaze

JonasAKAFaze

The BH Master

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1251 posts
  • XWIS Name: Faze

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

Voted
Yes
No

#13 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

I don't think any of us want to get rid of CP. We want to keep it as an option, but also reinstate the old way.

This

The KEY issue was always with registration when it was first implemented, there's still topics NOW about "why isn't my password working." and lets face it there's been a TONNE of them since the cp was introduced.

It was easy because us oldtimers are used to black backgrounds, blue links and white h1's. Others...evidently from the amount of support topics did not find it that easy.

however it kind of stale, just as the ladder is, i think they should be spruced up, like the ladder you and seanz made.

You mean this? Attached File  ladder.jpg   71.04KB   38 downloads

Edited by NeoGrant, 24 August 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#14 xNathanx

xNathanx

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2803 posts
  • XWIS Name: RaganZin

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Voted
Yes
No

It's very simple and easy to use. I voted this way as well. I would also just like to see the CP "spruced up"

#15 GunChesta

GunChesta

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

What bunch of crackheads have been voting no to the second question, why the hell would you want to go through all the bother of making an account on here logging into a different site making a nick getting a random password then logging into your game, when you could just enter a nick and password and play the bloody game... Its like your walking home from work or something and decide to take the 30 minute route as oppose to the 10 minute direct route, retards man.

#16 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • 12275 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

When you go for a walk you could experience some adventure you would have missed in case you took the 10 minute route.

I feel uneasy with all these changes Neo. If we are talking about changes for the good of the accessibility then it would be ok in my opinion.

#17 Walter

Walter

Colonel

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5296 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walter

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

I voted "Yes" and "Maybe"

First of all, probably just increase the nick limit to 10 instead of 9. The time required to delete a nick also feels kind of long, but it's probably that way for a reason. The clan manager with the control panel is good, although like Seke said you should probably be able to join from lobby, if possible (and as uncomplicated as possible).

Personally I have no real problem with the control panel at all right now, although I miss having like 20 nicks with all my serials :p

I'd have to agree with that, but it should definitely be there to maintain nicks etc., pick maps too, hopefully if this turns out that way it doesn't lead to any exploits or anything bad either... not sure how that would work out, you'd still keep tabs on all the cheaters right? :p

Would there be like a confirm-system ingame for you to link nicks created ingame with ST accounts? Would this also apply to the other games like TS / Renegade?

Maybe no one would bother registering nicks with the control panel afterwards if you can just log in ingame with a new nick, but who knows.

By the way, it's better to reset a password with the control panel than doing it ingame, and being able to look at it in your browser :p

True, I'm okay with this too if possible though although I personally don't mind the generated passwords either.

it was still limited to 9per serial before

Kind of wrong.

I have like 3 RA2 serials and had like 20 nicks made because of multiple serials but now it's 9 nicks per STRIKE-TEAM USER ACCOUNT (at least for me I registered all my serials with the same ST user account and at one point I actually had like 20 nicks under the same account here, but I HAD TO DELETE like 10 nicknames that I've had for 3-4 years JUST to make a new nick, because apparently it only lets me use 9 :( )

Why did you vote "no" in the first question then? :p

What bunch of crackheads have been voting no to the second question,

Olaf did :D

Edited by Walter, 24 August 2012 - 10:36 AM.

#18 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

I have like 3 RA2 serials and had like 20 nicks made because of multiple serials but now it's 9 nicks per STRIKE-TEAM USER ACCOUNT (at least for me I registered all my serials with the same ST user account and at one point I actually had like 20 nicks under the same account here, but I HAD TO DELETE like 10 nicknames that I've had for 3-4 years JUST to make a new nick, because apparently it only lets me use 9 :( )

Why did you vote "no" in the first question then? :p

Because the question stated "would you have", and at the time it came about it was completely unnecessary and I didn't agree with it. I want to keep it now for a couple reasons:

1. alternative
2. picking maps
3. seeing all available nicks
4. being able to reset passwords/making custom one

back in the day it was always 9 nicks per serial, I wasn't "kind of wrong". I said "before" and by "before" I meant pre-CP era.

#19 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

I've mentioned a number of times for a custom password feature but from what I've gathered Olaf doesn't see the point. I'd like to see it. Not sure about anyone else... I get fed up of having to alt tab to see what my pass is.

I'd also like to see the old nick creation method reimplemented for the EASE of new players. Especially if the nicks will just appear in the control panel anyway to be managed? Message of the day when an XwisAdmin bot (if created by Olaf) can just re-iterate account management at xwis.net/cp

But it won't happen because Olaf disagrees, and so does the population of the community it seems.

#20 Walter

Walter

Colonel

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5296 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walter

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Because the question stated "would you have", and at the time it came about it was completely unnecessary and I didn't agree with it. I want to keep it now for a couple reasons:

1. alternative
2. picking maps
3. seeing all available nicks
4. being able to reset passwords/making custom one

back in the day it was always 9 nicks per serial, I wasn't "kind of wrong". I said "before" and by "before" I meant pre-CP era.

I see. The current state (now) is fine though so that's why I voted yes, I came back to this game I think too long after the CP came though I think, so I don't know about when it first came in :S

To me the things talked about here I see is just about upgrading it, which doesn't seem like much. ie Okay, so they missed one thing about still letting people make new nicks ingame, but it's still good now.

Then again, that's probably because I'm used to it already :p

As for # of nicks per serial I only meant now lol

Maybe you can get around the 9 nick limit right now by having different pairs of serials associated with different ST accounts but I can't do that now.

I'd also like to see the old nick creation method reimplemented for the EASE of new players. Especially if the nicks will just appear in the control panel anyway to be managed? Message of the day when an XwisAdmin bot (if created by Olaf) can just re-iterate account management at xwis.net/cp

But it won't happen because Olaf disagrees, and so does the population of the community it seems.

I'm used to the CP already but I see how this is bad for other people though, but then again, would that mean people would even bother at all with the CP? This is probably the big thing here... maybe it's what Olaf thinks.

If it's just for the sake of activity and ease then it would probably be better to go for it though.

It would be cool seeing you can make new nicks ingame again too.

Edited by Walter, 24 August 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#21 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

We AREN'T saying, "get rid of the CP".

We are just saying that you should still be able to make a nickname via the RA2 interface and leave/join clans via the lobby.

Nothing/little would be changed to the CP.

#22 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

We AREN'T saying, "get rid of the CP".

We are just saying that you should still be able to make a nickname via the RA2 interface and leave/join clans via the lobby.

Nothing/little would be changed to the CP.

I agree with this tbh both methods should be avaliable.

But the password issue, should be a random password generated by the CP, some people choose stupid passwords and there's a history of people doing it and cheater's/ other players using there account's.. and when this comes to cheat reports, its more work for the admin staff, the randomly generated password stops this happening..

The only change i would make in CP would be the map selection page. Id make it more than an illusion.

#23 Sean3z

Sean3z

Captain

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1740 posts
  • XWIS Name: sean3z

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:11 PM

some people choose stupid passwords and there's a history of people doing it and cheater's/ other players using there account's.

Does Google/Facebook/Twitter/Microsoft/Instagram/Pinterest/Imgur/Flicker/Photobucket/Fill in any website, even game related/ Force you to use an automatically generated password that you have no control over?

#24 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Does Google/Facebook/Twitter/Microsoft/Instagram/Pinterest/Imgur/Flicker/Photobucket/Fill in any website, even game related/ Force you to use an automatically generated password that you have no control over?

Nope.

#25 cncpossessed

cncpossessed

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

I've mentioned a number of times for a custom password feature but from what I've gathered Olaf doesn't see the point. I'd like to see it. Not sure about anyone else... I get fed up of having to alt tab to see what my pass is.

tbh took me like 1min to remember the random CP pw :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users