#1 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts
  • XWIS Name: Edd

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

I've recently changed my playstyle trying to use nothing but hotkeys anymore and it's extremely hard O_O This month has been tough!

Do you guys ever click on anything instead of using a hotkey?

I've recently added these hotkeys to my gameplay, some might be unnecessary but I want to learn them; TT (Select near by units/all units) Sell, Repair, Low health, Vets, Home key, Bookmarks .. for all this, i have to change the way I used to hold my hand on the keyboard. Before as soon as I pressed N+D I would put my ring finger on Q, My middle finger on F2(switching off and on to W) Index finger on E/R and my thumb on the spacebar. Now i'm trying different things so it gets confusing and extremely hard to micro. I changed hotkeys around aswell, my Sell key is "A" and my repair is "S" and I have no clue where Stop is now, lol... forgot =(

TT is the most confusing one for me because Ive always used the dots on the bottom left of the screen instead. I just changed my monitor so i'm playing on a high reso and it'll be too slow to move mouse down and up over and over like i used to do. Main reason for my new playstyle.

Health and Vet, i rarely use these but i'm trying to get them down, it would be extremely useful in a tank battle.

What hotkeys do you guys NOT use and DO use?

#2 XMaDTanKX

XMaDTanKX

Oscar!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

I only use QWER, ND and teams by alt+a number, and learning to use Z to waypoint dogs to scout

Everything else I do it it the mouse, didn't try with a higher reso than 1024 altoug

Edited by XMaDTanKX aka T-90, 25 March 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#3 SpecialDe

SpecialDe

High

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • XWIS Name: EDan

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

I always use tt but sometimes you can run into problems when your trying to control your splits :down:

#4 XMaDTanKX

XMaDTanKX

Oscar!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

I always use tt but sometimes you can run into problems when your trying to control your splits :down:

Numbers is best to splits, better dont touch tt lol

#5 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

I use N,D,Q,W,E,R,H,TT,Y,U,I,S and of course control groups.

I have fix set as F ( follow, by default) and A as sell. I also rarely use G for confirming guard mode.

I got health, vet and combatant selections after the T key eg: Y U I O...

#6 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

I use N,D,Q,W,E,R,H,TT,Y,U,I,S and of course control groups.

I have fix set as F ( follow, by default) and A as sell. I also rarely use G for confirming guard mode.

I got health, vet and combatant selections after the T key eg: Y U I O...

Nice, that's good that you're use to that, I hope it improves my gameplay when I master my hotkeys.

#7 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

Nice, that's good that you're use to that, I hope it improves my gameplay when I master my hotkeys.

i use nmdqwertdspzc(rarely c) f1 f2 f3 ocassioanlly f3,f5,65 etc i use bookmarks depending on maps e.g mailibu 6 playewr map iuse up to f6

kinda handy but a lot of the time forget about bookmarks pretty much as longas u remember TT,D,N/M,S AND QWERTY(Y ONLY ON YR) its not much of a problem.

#8 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

i jus dont use sell\repair but probably use almost everything else, oh i guess i dont use shift

#9 OlafxD

OlafxD

Mr. Rank 1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8529 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

QWERNDHLC,F10

#10 XMaDTanKX

XMaDTanKX

Oscar!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

F10

lol :D

#11 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:40 AM

nd, q, h, control 1,2,3,4,5

and t or tt ofcourse

Edited by Niek, 26 March 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#12 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

Xwis Was Initially Striketeam

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • XWIS Name: fir3w0rx

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

I just changed my monitor so i'm playing on a high reso and it'll be too slow to move mouse down and up over and over like i used to do. Main reason for my new playstyle.

Health and Vet, i rarely use these but i'm trying to get them down, it would be extremely useful in a tank battle.

What hotkeys do you guys NOT use and DO use?

Aren't you already good enough??? :D

I don't think you need to use too many hotkeys. Look at Marko's vids... minimal hotkeys and crappy reso :laugh:, and yet he's always at the top of the ladder. He only uses t, ctrl, shift and vet. For building he uses the icons and for splits, he just scrolls around. Speaking of scrolling, since your reso is higher, wouldn't you have to move the mouse less?

I on the other hand use just about every hot key there is, even Cheer when I eventually win, and I'm pretty good at it since I can touch-type(where my fingers always go back to ASDF) at a pretty fast rate, but I don't think it's improved my game at all. If anything, it may have actually made me lazy and made my gameplay worse . I'm too used to hotkeys now, but if I could go back to just clicking the screen I would.

#13 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

It's because you ain't a speed freak!

#14 Curatio

Curatio

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

Btw, heres one if you didn't know it.

F1 - F5 or w.e is home key. but if you hit ctrl + F1-F5 itll select current screen as home to that key.

So you can set your allies base to home key F1-5.

I perfer to just scroll and click. But theres one if you didn't know it.

#15 Edd

Edd

I LoVe LiZa

• Bounty Hunters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4105 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:34 AM

Btw, heres one if you didn't know it.

F1 - F5 or w.e is home key. but if you hit ctrl + F1-F5 itll select current screen as home to that key.

So you can set your allies base to home key F1-5.

I perfer to just scroll and click. But theres one if you didn't know it.

Yeah, I use my middle finger on F2 as my home button, I press it alot but now i'm changing it to keeping my "H" as home, as it allows my other fingers to stay close for the other keys.

Aren't you already good enough??? :D

I don't think you need to use too many hotkeys. Look at Marko's vids... minimal hotkeys and crappy reso :laugh:, and yet he's always at the top of the ladder. He only uses t, ctrl, shift and vet. For building he uses the icons and for splits, he just scrolls around. Speaking of scrolling, since your reso is higher, wouldn't you have to move the mouse less?

I on the other hand use just about every hot key there is, even Cheer when I eventually win, and I'm pretty good at it since I can touch-type(where my fingers always go back to ASDF) at a pretty fast rate, but I don't think it's improved my game at all. If anything, it may have actually made me lazy and made my gameplay worse . I'm too used to hotkeys now, but if I could go back to just clicking the screen I would.

I have to move my mouse further to reach things now than I did before... here's my ss's of before and after....

My reso before... http://xwis.net/ra2/screenshots/320292/

Now... http://xwis.net/ra2/screenshots/342667/

#16 AD4M

AD4M

Allied King

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

i used 1680 x 1050 also edd.

i use all hotkeys available, things like

numbering units, ctrl,shift,alt,h,q,w,e,r,t,l,k, space and many more

it always seems to help being a lot quicker than clicking on the icons and increases micro ability - and as im allies i need to !

#17 Defend

Defend

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

QWERNDHLC,F10

If you understood this then you play alot lol

#18 volkots

volkots

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • XWIS Name: n/a

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

How to set other mouse buttons? is it possible? For example mouse button 4 and 5? because now its working only 1st and 2nd mouse buttons.

#19 [-BA-] Piscinex

[-BA-] Piscinex

~~~~~~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

I used K and L for repair and sell, and Y and U for veterancy and health unit selection, and obviously T a lot. The health one is nice because you can put all your red tanks in the back, which can sometimes help a tiny bit in tank fights (and it only takes a second, so why not?).

EDIT

And Ctrl+Shift obviously (which is attack-move). I was amazed to discover that some people don't know about it. It should be the default when using any unit other than the basic tanks.

Edited by [-BA-] Piscinex, 26 March 2012 - 12:16 PM.

#20 Niek

Niek

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12274 posts
  • XWIS Name: Niek

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:22 PM

Control shitf is new for me aswell.

So much buttons on a keyboard

#21 Coldskool

Coldskool

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1207 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

I pretty much used them all when I played. The most useful ones being Q W E R space ctrl+shift H N/D(for fast deploy at start) T/TT and of course all the control group hotkeys

#22 Bigfatrat

Bigfatrat

Lieutenant

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

qwerth, space, z, ctrl+fire, 1-0 for my formations. The rest are done with the mouse.
I have thought about the task you are undertaking, and decided against it many times.
I would be worse than I am now.
GL

#23 Inego

Inego

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • XWIS Name: IneGo

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

can some one tell me how work the ctrl and shift buttons?

#24 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

can some one tell me how work the ctrl and shift buttons?

ctrl # to number groups,

Have a group selected and hit shift # to add them to a group

#25 miketehmaster

miketehmaster

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

to put it bluntly my friend, everything on any game is memory.

so....... everytime on a game which has an option to better urself like hotkeys and ur going the longer route, u will never be one of the best(as u could be)

im not sayin u cant be very good without hotkeys if u still have good knownledge n memory.

youmust teach yourself everytime you go to mouse over something and click it..

Cancel it .. and remake using key, it is all HABIT forming

and no matter how much u think so i promise if u use a combination o f both you will end up slower then if u took the time 2 form one solid habit( using one or the other) hotkeys bein the better

in other words, i advise skirmish if you care for rank and go online again when u are subconciously using hotkeys so it will not make ur mind distracted from controling other memory of game(harvesters/ore trucks) whateverE

edit: coz during rank or clan mmatches people wanna win so they cant rele form good habits there they are not thinking as clear as a ffg or skirmish and itsucks to cancel things in tourny

Edited by miketehmaster, 10 November 2012 - 04:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users