17 replies to this topic

#1 IIISASIII

IIISASIII

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:01 AM

Ok, just ordered new cd's, re-installed the o.s. on the pc, and, installed RA2 and now I'm getting this stupid message and it won't start the game. A little help please.

Note: the O.S. is Vista (this thing sucks, I know), already tried changing the 'users' preferences to allow on everything, already did that for RA2.exe and ran it as administrator, already re-installed it and already threw-up a litt'l prayer to the god of war.

#2 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 02:29 AM

Fatal String Error- Run game.exe as adminstrator/and right click the game.exe and select compatibility mode for Windows Xp SP(X)/98.

#3 IIISASIII

IIISASIII

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:44 AM

Fatal String Error- Run game.exe as adminstrator/and right click the game.exe and select compatibility mode for Windows Xp SP(X)/98.

Thank you Seke, but it still isn't working, in fact, when I attempt to double click on Game.exe after doing what you advised, it acts like it is going to load for a second then stops and then acts as if I never gave the command, nothing. I checked the Task Manager and it said there was a file titled RA2 "running" with an icon of a folder and a green arrow coming out of it, god I hate f'ing pc's.

#4 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

If you've installed from CD you should run ra2.exe.

#5 No0bziLLa

No0bziLLa

[Banned]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • XWIS Name: No0bZiLLa

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:01 AM

is your cd drive DL compatible? what disc/s did you get? the first decade? or the original cd's? i had this problem with one of my computers, but i got a dvd drive that was DL compatible and all was well.

what kind of computer you got? what kind of dvd drive?

#6 IIISASIII

IIISASIII

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:03 AM

It's a Compac Presario, It's a multi media re-cording DVD drive, with all that is expected. I played RA2 on this very same cpu in the dvd drive, but now it isn't working.

#7 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Just install http://xwis.net/downloads/Red_Alert-2-0.0.0.exe and be done with it.

#8 No0bziLLa

No0bziLLa

[Banned]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

i wonder if the upper and lower filters in the registry can have any effect on this, is it just ra2 or is it any other media/program?

#9 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

What filters?

#10 IIISASIII

IIISASIII

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

Just install http://xwis.net/downloads/Red_Alert-2-0.0.0.exe and be done with it.

Thanks, I downloaded and installed your link Olaf, that was cool. But it is still comming up as "**FATAL** String Manager Failed To Initialize (this word is mis-spelled on the screen) Properly" I will look into shifting some stuff around so I get this to work, I may need to load bootcamp on my Mac or buy a cheap PC for the few games I play.

#11 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

Are you starting the game as administrator (right-click, run as)?

#12 rumblesom

rumblesom

Captain

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4992 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

ra2.exe shud be started as admin, NOT game.exe

#13 IIISASIII

IIISASIII

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:53 AM

I've tried both guys, this is pizzing me off. I hate planned obselesence, mother 'fing microsoft can suck a @#$%.

#14 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:06 AM

I've tried both guys, this is pizzing me off. I hate planned obselesence, mother 'fing microsoft can suck a @#$%.

._.

#15 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

Thanks, I downloaded and installed your link Olaf, that was cool. But it is still comming up as "**FATAL** String Manager Failed To Initialize (this word is mis-spelled on the screen) Properly" I will look into shifting some stuff around so I get this to work, I may need to load bootcamp on my Mac or buy a cheap PC for the few games I play.

C:\Program Files (x)\Red Alert 2 > Find the Red Alert 2.exe or RA2.exe in that folder. Right click, properties > Select compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3/2/ or even 98. Click OK. Right click it again, run as Administrator.

Next, google UAC on how to turn it off. Do not use shortcuts as you may be using the CD version you had installed, so it may be worth uninstalling everything RA2 related and starting fresh with the download Olaf linked you.

Done all of those and it doesn't work.. I can teamview and and double check everything is right.

#16 IIISASIII

IIISASIII

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:37 PM

C:\Program Files (x)\Red Alert 2 > Find the Red Alert 2.exe or RA2.exe in that folder. Right click, properties > Select compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3/2/ or even 98. Click OK. Right click it again, run as Administrator.

Next, google UAC on how to turn it off. Do not use shortcuts as you may be using the CD version you had installed, so it may be worth uninstalling everything RA2 related and starting fresh with the download Olaf linked you.

Done all of those and it doesn't work.. I can teamview and and double check everything is right.

Thanks Neo, I'll give that a shot and get back to you Thursday.

#17 americapwnnnn

americapwnnnn

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

Mm second time i get this error.

Reinstalling helps but its annoying.

#18 No0bziLLa

No0bziLLa

[Banned]

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:14 AM

What filters?

here

probably not whats wrong tho.

edit: this describes it better.

edit: just google it yourself... :p

this is what happened to me when i uninstalled dameon tools lite from my computer.

Edited by No0bziLLa, 30 October 2011 - 03:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users