Photo

SERIAL VALIDATION

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

Poll: SERIAL VALIDATION

should serial validation be re-enabled?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 phildaone

phildaone

SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

Hey oe,hey matt,hey all the others.
First,i have to say i like Matt's opinion.
He#s in many points right and he just try to boot up tiberian sun for his players.
To give them a chance and maybe a coming back in '11.
So,why we just all agree with him and do something for our fav game? =)

Olaf,if you say,its still possible to ban cheaters and reset logs,why u dont do it then?
would be a good start if you do it,for example ,at lordspire's log b4 the HOF is coming ,for the last 2 months (if she would come?!..)
just look his stats,he has about more then 40 recon errors and everytime he get raped by a player,he r/c and get sometimes the pts for it :(
so he did at me 2 times.
-.-

so many good clans were active if the serial validation was needed,like nordic,like haribo,like -moon- and all the other elite ww clans,..
the only 1 or 2 active clans which are still play mass of clannrs are justic and ofa and they get leet cause they got no real enemys anymore...
i didnt said,them are the only clans which are playing,i mean,it's the "hard core" of clans with the most activity...
if the TibSun clan of peter (nodrescue) or all the other mod newb clans of him would play ww and dont be afraid to get banged,we may have a bit more fun..

what i'm trying to say is,do something for the game and i guess the players,are the last which are dont give u her help to manage it all..

you know what i mean?
i guess a lot of players wwant to be mod's to ban cheaters,or update and manage a fair and clean hall of fame...

so,think about it plz..

greets to all ,phil. :)

#152 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

There's no point hosting tournaments until people know there not going to be cheated and its 100% legit

That's something the organizer will have to take care of.

#153 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • XWIS Name: gh

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

That's something the organizer will have to take care of.

cheat moderator*

#154 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Would it really take that much effort to make XGS comptible with TS or YR for that matter?

At least people would have some reasonable means to identify and prove cheaters this way.
Think about how you got this place here started. You were resetting cheaters on wol, from what I heard.

#155 phildaone

phildaone

SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:55 AM

i apply for being the cheat moderator to make a start and get the stone rolling :)

olaf,what u think about it ? =)
so we may have a start and can go on with the rest what have to be managed.. :)

#156 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

cheat moderator*

What?

#157 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

What?

He meant that as a fix to the ''organizer''.

#158 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:46 PM

^^

#159 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

He meant that as a fix to the ''organizer''.

I don't care what he calls it.

#160 phildaone

phildaone

SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

i mean to be a mod who analyse and ban cheaters..

#161 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Organisation can begin when serial validation is implemented(2 logs max) and an effective cheat mod :)

I've been advertising this to the TS community so it's in their hands now.

And Olaf when's the deadline for this, or is it our decision?

#162 phildaone

phildaone

SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

i want to be cheat mod !
so get the serial validation back,the old clan mangement and 9 logs max and lets go :)
was pretty easier to manage it all,with names (just type in lobby /names and see them all) then clan joining (/join_clan xxx) and clan management with contact (msn,icq or w/e) and the clan admin pass...was much better.

so bring it back and i'm the first who apply to be cheat mod :)

-Phil

#163 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

i want to be cheat mod !
so get the serial validation back,the old clan mangement and 9 logs max and lets go :)
was pretty easier to manage it all,with names (just type in lobby /names and see them all) then clan joining (/join_clan xxx) and clan management with contact (msn,icq or w/e) and the clan admin pass...was much better.

-Phil

That's far too many logs,what's the need for so many?
2 logs max.

#164 phildaone

phildaone

SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

2 logs sucks -.-
i need some more like the other players,cause hiding and get some peeps banged which would not acc to my main,..u know what i mean?
but ok,i dont care..

#165 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

That's far too many logs,what's the need for so many?
2 logs max.

Why 2 instead of 1?

#166 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:55 PM

Why 2 instead of 1?

Sure,I've basically stuck to the 1 log since the start.

#167 TimmyJohn

TimmyJohn

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1332 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

I think TS players should create another server and put up mods who will run things the way they should be. Westwood is out of the picture now and Ea never cared. It's to much work for current mods right now because strike-team is an Offical server and the Mod's do need permission from the game creators. I know it doesn't get the amount of attention of other games thus making a further racket. The people are out there its just up to whats left of the communities and forums to get together and make a new powerhouse. The activity in this game currently has **** the bed. I know on other forums you get old school players who sit back and chat just to keep in touch. I mean there are lots of places. Even modded versions of the games have players. Just need a few devoted and a few skilled to start it up.

#168 moneyman9

moneyman9

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:14 PM

It's tough!But since TS has become FreeWare I personally have witnessed more cheaters playing as well,For instance 'Lordspire' keeps contaminating people's enjoyment of games/tourneys by reconning every single f***ing game!After so long the players are going to get sick of the constant cheating.
basically I think,The cheating will counter-attack the new players.New players WILL stick around for a while,but who wants to stay in a un-moderated server where cheating runs rampant? What fun is there playing for rank when,at the end of the month, is 'lordspire' 100 wins 0 losses.

I think there are 2 very different problems:
- EA's choice to make TS available for download eliminated olafs option to serialban cheaters
- Striketeams cheatpolicy doesn't prevent cheaters from ruining the XWIS TS ladders

About a year ago EA decided that TS should become a part of the C&C classics, mainly in order to advertise Tiberian Twilight (C&C4).
At the same time EA launched an advertising campaign to spread the word that TS is available for download, worldwide.
Olaf / Striketeam however clearly didn't have a vote in that decision so basically they got no other choice but to accept it and move on.
Because of EA's decision to make TS freeware, Olaf can't effectively ban people's serials anymore as the backdoor on TS now is fully open.
So regardless of the amount of votes in this poll, Striketeam cannot force EA to withdraw its decision to make TS part of C&C Classics, means free for download (see http://www.commandandconquer.com/classic).

On the other hand there's the cheating issue, Striketeam allows cheaters to ruin the TS ladders by causing for over 30 reconnection errors
Striketeams cheatpolicy also allows disconnecting on purpose, in order to avoid losing pts whenever ya got 1 or 2 buildings left for instance.
Finally, there's the 'cheat reports service' on the forum. Take a look at http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/forum-92/announcement-18-cheat-reports-service-how-to-report-a-cheater/ and see how 'easy' it is to report a cheater. Did ya know that it's necessary to page /dpl to yourself during the game in which ya got cheated? Now imagin, your opponent caused a reconnection error and you're trying to page /dpl to yourself in the game.....good luck!

#169 FReQuEnZy

FReQuEnZy

Retired

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7986 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:14 PM

i want to be cheat mod !

-Phil

It's not a position that you apply for or request to apply for.
The only way some one becomes an moderator is when the shady characters from the depths of strike-team decide to contact you and offer the job.

#170 Dyson

Dyson

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walshy

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:35 PM

I think TS players should create another server and put up mods who will run things the way they should be. Westwood is out of the picture now and Ea never cared. It's to much work for current mods right now because strike-team is an Offical server and the Mod's do need permission from the game creators. I know it doesn't get the amount of attention of other games thus making a further racket. The people are out there its just up to whats left of the communities and forums to get together and make a new powerhouse. The activity in this game currently has **** the bed. I know on other forums you get old school players who sit back and chat just to keep in touch. I mean there are lots of places. Even modded versions of the games have players. Just need a few devoted and a few skilled to start it up.

That's quite an interesting perspective. I would certainly be interested in another server, pending serial validation activation. Would the Strike-Team be able to co-exist with another Tiberian Sun server? Perhaps one dedicated for freeware users, paralleled by one for serial users. As someone who has recently taken a great interest in Tiberian Sun (and it's community), I would love to be involved such a project. It's rare to satisfy all parts interested but, this sounds like a plausible solution.

On the other hand there's the cheating issue, Striketeam allows cheaters to ruin the TS ladders by causing for over 30 reconnection errors
Striketeams cheatpolicy also allows disconnecting on purpose, in order to avoid losing pts whenever ya got 1 or 2 buildings left for instance.
Finally, there's the 'cheat reports service' on the forum. Take a look at http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/forum-92/announcement-18-cheat-reports-service-how-to-report-a-cheater/ and see how 'easy' it is to report a cheater. Did ya know that it's necessary to page /dpl to yourself during the game in which ya got cheated? Now imagin, your opponent caused a reconnection error and you're trying to page /dpl to yourself in the game.....good luck!

Oddly, Olaf (that I've gathered is the owner of XWIS) states that serial validation is required for cheaters to be banned. This in turn allows players to report cheaters by posting here so a Tiberian Sun moderator can delegate appropriate action yet, creating a "proper" cheat report is nearly unobtainable (according to the aforementioned outline); and he continues that a "trust worthy" or "dedicated" Tiberian Sun moderator is essentially impossible to employ. In my opinion, this appears to be a critical flaw on several levels. No offence to anyone!

Also: the outline for creating a Tiberian Sun cheat report (as posted by moneyman9), contains Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge instructions under "Screenshots"

For any game that you intend to report, you must upload a valid screenshot. For a screenshot to be valid, it must contain either the /r/dpl response line (described below) or the offending player's name, along with the cheat visibly in action if possible.

* Type [ENTER] /r/dpl [ENTER] (or /a/dpl for German game versions) whilst a game is in progress.
* You should instantly receive a page with the details verifying the game's identification, as follows
* With this still on screen, push CTRL+C for Red Alert 2, or SHIFT+S for Yuri's Revenge.
* After the game, you can find the screenshots you have taken saved as *.PCX files named SCRN0001, SCRN0002, etc. in your Red Alert 2 directory (C:\Westwood\RA2\ by default) which can be converted into *.JPG files using image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop.

Edited by Aleatory, 31 January 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#171 Nimixes

Nimixes

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Olaf, What protocols do you use to remove people from the ladder, I mean what type of system is it? Is there one in place?

Ill regret this, But I find myself increasingly bored with SC2 and LoL. For the time being, Ill offer myself as mod for the ladder only. My creditably spans back a decade. I dont know any of the current players and have no baggage to attach to the job. It would seem one man who checks the top 20 or so off the ladder daily should be able to do this reliably. I got an hour or two so why not.

#172 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:54 AM

Banning and resetting nicks is always possible. But players can then just create a new nick.

If both the IP address and the serial change there's also a problem and it takes a lot of staff time to take care of that.

How do they manage? How many players do they have? Do they control the client too so game updates can be done? How old are those games?

You can already organize tournaments, can't you? Might be a good start...

Good answers.

True they can make a new nick, same as a player can obtain a serial and make a new nick. But at the same time, this will decrease the potential of them having to reoffend and cheat since there is eyes on them. If i spent hours and days getting rank 1 by cheating to have it reset, id stop. As for IP and serial changes, we have potential staff that is willing to do this and keep up with having the member remained kicked. We dont have a cheating problem tho. Just a couple few.

There is a dozen games that manage thier own games that dont require serials etc etc. Im sure you know how they manage. I can come up with a few real-time examples if needed. The games im talking about range from different years. 1 example will be Unreal TOurnament. THis game doesnt require a serial anymore and there is many different communities that host thier own server and provide 3rd party updates. if look at the forums, you can debate wheter or not to be ip banned from servers. etc etc.

Yes i can start my own tournament your right. =). But someone who is able to moderate a forum turny of rubbish will be good to keep it clean of spam.

Also, what is your thoughts of having a MOD right now? Riz is not around so your the big man of the show.

We jsut need a mod for

-Updating HOF
-Setting up turnies (ya i know i can make my own) but to remove spam ;)
-Cheat report analzing.
-Also banning cheaters (or the power to tell you to ban someone)

Edited by hefeweize, 01 February 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#173 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

True they can make a new nick, same as a player can obtain a serial and make a new nick.

A new serials is not as cheap and easy as only a new nick.

But at the same time, this will decrease the potential of them having to reoffend and cheat since there is eyes on them. If i spent hours and days getting rank 1 by cheating to have it reset, id stop. As for IP and serial changes, we have potential staff that is willing to do this and keep up with having the member remained kicked. We dont have a cheating problem tho. Just a couple few.

That's much easier said then done. How are you going to objectively proof that two players are in fact the same?

There is a dozen games that manage thier own games that dont require serials etc etc. Im sure you know how they manage.

Not really, that's why I'm asking you.

I can come up with a few real-time examples if needed. The games im talking about range from different years. 1 example will be Unreal TOurnament. THis game doesnt require a serial anymore and there is many different communities that host thier own server and provide 3rd party updates. if look at the forums, you can debate wheter or not to be ip banned from servers. etc etc.

Does it have ladders?

Also, what is your thoughts of having a MOD right now? Riz is not around so your the big man of the show.

We jsut need a mod for

-Updating HOF
-Setting up turnies (ya i know i can make my own) but to remove spam ;)
-Cheat report analzing.
-Also banning cheaters (or the power to tell you to ban someone)

I don't know. Maybe it's a good idea to let someone first do a bit of forum moderation.
Problem is that a lot of members here are still showing they're not fit for the job.

#174 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

" I don't know. Maybe it's a good idea to let someone first do a bit of forum moderation.
Problem is that a lot of members here are still showing they're not fit for the job."

--

What are the requirements?

#175 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

What are the requirements?

No checklist, sorry...