Photo

SERIAL VALIDATION

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

Poll: SERIAL VALIDATION

should serial validation be re-enabled?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#126 Mole40k

Mole40k

Seal

• Strike Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • XWIS Name: Mole40k

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

Oh my...

Someone, I think it was Olaf, asked very early on in this thread, why no one was bothering to post in this thread. The reason to me, seems obvious. The community is disillusion, and has been disillusioned with ST for a very long time. Ever since ST took over control of TS there has been bad decision after bad decision that has systematically worked to kill our beloved game. I know Frz and I don't exactly see eye to eye on most things, but he does make a valid point when he talks about ST's constant efforts to break apart to TS community. You say you will give us a TS mod; we put forward suggestions for a TS mod; you don't install a TS mod. This is just one example of many. This whole situation has been one blunder after another. Perhaps the biggest blunder of all has been ST's ignorance of the TS community. ST just don't know how to manage people. I know Betz can sound convincing sometimes - he has a great talent for sophistry and rhetoric - but you need to realise he does not speak for the majority of TS players. In fact betz has been one of the most negative influences on the community in 11 years of gaming.

You know, I would put myself forward for the role of TS mod. I know a lot of people asked me to do it. In fact I would have done it a couple of years ago. I'm more than qualified for the job. I even work in the games industry. The thing is I hate to say it, but I've moved on now. I've had enough of all the bitching and sniping. I've had enough of betzeug and his personality disorder. Most of all I have to say I've had enough of ST and their poor community management.

It's been a great decade, I say that now. This game means more to me than perhaps even I give it credit for. I've literally turned from a spotty 14 year old into a 25 year old man in the time I've been playing this game. Strange to think how important this game has been in my life. I've met some great people in my time playing TS - Chris and Sean being two of the most decent, honest guys I've met - but with the administration as it is, literally allowing the community to die a slow death, it is with a heavy heart that I have to agree with Chris. There's no hope for TS any more. GG all.

Edited by Mole40k, 29 January 2011 - 02:41 PM.

#127 nodrescue

nodrescue

nodrescue

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:46 PM

If this will give xwis more control over the kind of players running around doing exactly what they want, Then I agree serial validation should be brought into force.
I been playing this game many years now and I feel that since it went free we are getting a lot of players who even though they have a serial are downloading the free ware to use the logs for all the wrong reasons.

#128 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • XWIS Name: gh

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

What's the deadline for this vote?

I will advertise it more in the lobby.

#129 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

Oh my...

Someone, I think it was Olaf, asked very early on in this thread, why no one was bothering to post in this thread. The reason to me, seems obvious. The community is disillusion, and has been disillusioned with ST for a very long time. Ever since ST took over control of TS there has been bad decision after bad decision that has systematically worked to kill our beloved game.

You clearly weren't around back in days when EA were running the servers, you would realise that Strike team pretty much saved the game from death back then, when cheating was totally out of control, and the lobbys filled with script kiddies that would DDOS you offline, autostart your games constantly, and even knock the server offline completely with lobby bots from hacked serials.
Problem is, newbies like you dont realise how good you have it nowadays with Strike team compared to times before they took over.
You only seem to want to focus on the negative things ST have done, rather than all the positive, that says a lot about your character.

I know Frz and I don't exactly see eye to eye on most things, but he does make a valid point when he talks about ST's constant efforts to break apart to TS community.

Breaking apart the TS community? Do you even think about what you are going to type before typing it?
There has been no bigger attempt to break apart the community than what you guys with your little project site and TS server did, trying to poach members from this site, spamming the lobbys with adverts for your server, and trying to convince people on XWIS to go to your server, that is exactly what breaking apart a community is.

You say you will give us a TS mod; we put forward suggestions for a TS mod; you don't install a TS mod.

We couldnt find a suitable person, who did you put forward, Ray, Chris and Whitetib?
Yeh Ray bailed on TS as soon as SC2 came out, Chris is proving to be emotionally unstable and very immature when he cannot get his own way, not exactly the type of guy suitable for this position, and Whitetib has proven to be exactly what i said he always was, a forum troll.
As soon as his forum powers were gone, so was he, he couldnt care less about TS the game, he just enjoyed the drama of the community, as long as he had some control.
You are welcome to make some more suggestions for TS mod, you can suggest a zillion people, but if those zillion people dont qualify, then guesss what?
They wont be getting the job.

This is just one example of many. This whole situation has been one blunder after another. Perhaps the biggest blunder of all has been ST's ignorance of the TS community. ST just don't know how to manage people. I know Betz can sound convincing sometimes - he has a great talent for sophistry and rhetoric - but you need to realise he does not speak for the majority of TS players. In fact betz has been one of the most negative influences on the community in 11 years of gaming.

If i've done something wrong, or against the rules of the strike team forum, please feel free to report it.

This is a discussion forum, so that's what im doing,
I know its hard when your project fails, and so you look for someone to blame,
but the sensible thing to do would be to try to understand the reasons why your project failed, and learn from them.
You need to look at where you went wrong, and stop trying to blame other people for your own failures, thats the only way you will grow as a person.

You know, I would put myself forward for the role of TS mod. I know a lot of people asked me to do it. In fact I would have done it a couple of years ago. I'm more than qualified for the job. I even work in the games industry.

You have barely been active on your own project site, right?
Something you have alluded to numerous times, so how could you expect to be active here daily resolving reports?
Exactly, you couldn't, hence why you are not suitable.
Plus, I think you get too emotional over this stuff, you need stable people in these positions.
Like Bil is a robot, that guys a rock, you dont see him making "im leaving forever" or "**** st" threads, the dude is just a trooper who cracks on with the job fairly, but the problem is hes never active because hes got a job in the real world. But you need people like him in these positions.

The thing is I hate to say it, but I've moved on now. I've had enough of all the bitching and sniping. I've had enough of betzeug and his personality disorder. Most of all I have to say I've had enough of ST and their poor community management.

I hope you learn this sooner rather than later in your life, but actions speak louder than words,
the sentence above you talk about having moved on and had enough of all the bitching and sniping, yet in the very next sentence you do exactly that.
Nobody has attacked you in this thread, yet here you are taking shots at others, "bitching an sniping".
So you can talk all you like about having moved on and being done with it, but clearly you aren't.

It's been a great decade, I say that now. This game means more to me than perhaps even I give it credit for. I've literally turned from a spotty 14 year old into a 25 year old man in the time I've been playing this game. Strange to think how important this game has been in my life. I've met some great people in my time playing TS - Chris and Sean being two of the most decent, honest guys I've met - but with the administration as it is, literally allowing the community to die a slow death, it is with a heavy heart that I have to agree with Chris. There's no hope for TS any more. GG all.

More like GG your project site, and GG your attempt to hijack the community from ST.

Edited by Farang, 29 January 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#130 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:05 PM

"farang" aka bttzg (the biggest cheat/script kiddy/forum troll that the command and conquer series has ever known)

CNC:EVO was no single individuals "project site" I will be very clear on that. It was an effort to do nothing but promote the tiberian sun game/community in every way possible, we spent a great deal of time and debate on our "best" direction at those points in time. Currently I see no problem in advertising it as it's 100% s-t/xwis based.

but with the way events have fallen into place recently I've decided to hand control over to anyone with a fresh mind who is willing to continue to carry that "torch" and sure I will continue to offer my assistance whenever anyone asks, after all that's what I'm about, but really other than that I'm done trying to lead you all anywhere at all here at strike-team.

my msn is christophermlawrence@hotmail.com if anyone would ever like to contact me for any reason whatsoever. (I have an open mind and am willing to hear almost anything out, that's what life's about... anything & everything :D )

for CNC:EVO discussion of who would like to take over from here please refer to the topic below and I promise any and all applications are welcome and will be looked at respectfully

http://****/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&p=3939#p3939

Thanks,

Chris.

(edit: I see cnc:evo is censored here but for those interested in visiting/checking things out it's www.cnc:evo.info without the semi-colon / or just type it into google. & to olaf or whoever I could care less if there is a consequence/ban for advertising this anymore, it matters very little to me now...)

Edited by chrismlawrence, 29 January 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#131 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Keeping the community on ST, and focusing efforts here is the sensible way forward if you want to benefit the game.
The game simply doesn't have enough activity to warrant a entire dedicated forum, its 2011, not 2004.
And in 2011 this little sub forum we have on ST, is all we need for us all to be heard.

Less is more, do away with your forum, or keep it alive as a display for your web design portfolio only,
you need to be realistic about its place in the TS landscape, it will never be a cncgamer or a champ site, those days are long gone.

Edited by Farang, 29 January 2011 - 05:22 PM.

#132 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

do me a favor and shut your dumb ****ing mouth as nothing constructive comes from it...

you don't know ****, like I said, your just some stupid kid hell bent on destroying anything you can get your grubby little hands on.

thanks & regards

chris.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 29 January 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#133 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

These emotional tirades are just more proof you aren't fit for any form of authority.
And they say more about you, than they do me, that's what you need to realise.

#134 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

that's fine I no longer care as I am simply a member and resigned from any position of leadership.

it's no longer my job to fit into what others think I should be here (especially a nobody like you bettz).

and that's my honest opinion based upon your own actions and speech, don't like it tough....

learn to be a better person and maybe you will get some respect from me.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 29 January 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#135 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:46 PM

If you want to just be a member of the TS community, then what's the purpose of spamming your web name and links on this site?
You did it just a few posts above, that to me appears like you are still seeking some authority or leadership over the community.
You do own that site do you not?

And my point about you not being fit for the job is apparent in this thread alone, how many times have you lost control, or had your emotions get the better of you?
One minute you are leaving the forum, the next you are back, then strike team is the enemy, then you want to affiliate, then you are done with TS and then you are not, you are all over the place dude, seriously... people like you cant be in control of the ship, it will sink, just as your site has.
You dont see Olaf parading around the forum acting like you, infact you dont see any ST staff doing it, theres a lesson to be learned there.

And, i couldn't care less of what your opinion is of me, or who you respect, it means nothing to me and has no relevance to the thread, eveything i say i can backup with hard facts, and it appears to be that, which really bothers you.

Edited by Farang, 29 January 2011 - 05:47 PM.

#136 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

cry me a river sweet heart, I didn't even read beyond your first line of **** and never will again.

catch me online for a tezz game guys haven't played in ages, login: nitemarez

peace.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 29 January 2011 - 05:50 PM.

#137 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Cool, you said that yesterday, but its probably for the best, sensible discussion doesn't seem like you strong point.

#138 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

bettz, for now I'll always look at you as that silly kid who blatantly mapped, then tech cheated, still would start to lose with every possible advantage... would then resort to fiending and still somehow lose then recon to get your win to cheat your way to the top of the unmodded ladder you cared so much about. create separate accounts to compliment and praise yourself, etc. you had some real issues bro

you were a freak man, and behind my monitor I laughed at you on a daily basis. nobody liked you and it was your own fault.

so shut up and be gone or learn to change for the better lol...

that's the best advice I can give you.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 29 January 2011 - 06:40 PM.

#139 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

Why don't you read what I've written? I've explained multiple times why (non-free) serials are required.

if red alert 2 was released for free, how would you approach this?

Non-free serials are required, alright in understand this. But you have the power to change it.

Listen to the gamers! I respect everything you did Olaf, and i still do.

#140 silver23

silver23

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • XWIS Name: silver23

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Its kind of sad when I'de say only about 25% of the TS community uses the forums and are making the decisions for TS haha

#141 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:13 PM

Its kind of sad when I'de say only about 25% of the TS community uses the forums and are making the decisions for TS haha

8-9% not 25%

#142 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

Yup. When 45% is missing, they will be asking why and dont even know this forum existed and who made this move.

#143 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:23 PM

if red alert 2 was released for free, how would you approach this?

Non-free serials are required, alright in understand this. But you have the power to change it.

Listen to the gamers! I respect everything you did Olaf, and i still do.

To change what? Serials are a prerequisite for bans and limits for nicks. That's just a result of logic, not a result of my choice.
The free version of RA2 would be SP only.

#144 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

To change what? Serials are a prerequisite for bans and limits for nicks. That's just a result of logic, not a result of my choice.
The free version of RA2 would be SP only.

Who made this prerequisite? Are we still able to reset a players nick? REward points? The real logic is. We were granted with freeware, the best thing that happened to ts in a while. It seems like its doing more harm now since your unable to work around these hard-coated rules. There is loopholes.

Maybe your not budging on your answer cause it takes alot of work to keep track of players. You said earlier that you can't IP ban players since ips change. SO what about players who have ips change in a serial based game? They simply purchase a new serial and "dodge" ban. How do you fix that? Its simple. Just do what you always have done or keep serials for rankings only, but it has to be simple.

I agree 9nicks per user is better than unlim nicks.

There is many games that have fair and well constructed ladders that dont require a serial or a paid subscription. There is mods that are able to do everyting from banning to reseting points.

To make it clear what im trying to say is. Having a dedicated mod who can analyze cheat reports are capable (? can be done by ST official) of reseting and booting a player from the server who consantly cheats. A mod who is able to update the HOF. A mod who is able to create turnies and elect individuals to run them. A mod who can make a cake.

please dont tell me you need serial validation for a Hall of Fame. This is a video game. Its not a presidential election

Edited by hefeweize, 29 January 2011 - 11:36 PM.

#145 silver23

silver23

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:16 AM

8-9% not 25%

And I agree I was trying to be nice haha

#146 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

olaf still hasn't replied to any of the problems ive spoken about 5 pages ago.

ps: im offended that silver and aur are in here without even private messaging a hello.

#147 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 06:50 AM

Hello Orochi aka super Ogre + Silver btw =)

Orochi, seems like we have different views on this situation. Im all about making TS for the good with no motives for myself. So i hope i dont lose any good relationships with anyone on this board cause im voicing my opinion. Its just that ive seen so much happen to TS and sorta knew this question would arise sooner or later.

#148 silver23

silver23

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:13 AM

Whats up Joe and Matt :p
I can foretell that this whole process is going to be at a stand point for a while lol

#149 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

Who made this prerequisite? Are we still able to reset a players nick? REward points? The real logic is. We were granted with freeware, the best thing that happened to ts in a while. It seems like its doing more harm now since your unable to work around these hard-coated rules. There is loopholes.

Banning and resetting nicks is always possible. But players can then just create a new nick.

Maybe your not budging on your answer cause it takes alot of work to keep track of players. You said earlier that you can't IP ban players since ips change. SO what about players who have ips change in a serial based game? They simply purchase a new serial and "dodge" ban. How do you fix that? Its simple. Just do what you always have done or keep serials for rankings only, but it has to be simple.

If both the IP address and the serial change there's also a problem and it takes a lot of staff time to take care of that.

There is many games that have fair and well constructed ladders that dont require a serial or a paid subscription. There is mods that are able to do everyting from banning to reseting points.

How do they manage? How many players do they have? Do they control the client too so game updates can be done? How old are those games?

To make it clear what im trying to say is. Having a dedicated mod who can analyze cheat reports are capable (? can be done by ST official) of reseting and booting a player from the server who consantly cheats. A mod who is able to update the HOF. A mod who is able to create turnies and elect individuals to run them. A mod who can make a cake.

You can already organize tournaments, can't you? Might be a good start...

#150 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:07 AM

(You can already organize tournaments, can't you? Might be a good start...)

There's no point hosting tournaments until people know there not going to be cheated and its 100% legit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users