Photo

SERIAL VALIDATION

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

Poll: SERIAL VALIDATION

should serial validation be re-enabled?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:52 PM

"Buy via PayPal": Not only is presented in a foreign language, I'm unable to find any means of converting to English.

Hmm, that's weird. Doesn't the country field allow you to change the language?

#77 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

Yeah, would be helpful to have in english.

obviously paypal is unquestionably a secure and trusted method of online payment services...

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#78 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:03 PM

"Buy via PayPal": Not only is presented in a foreign language, I'm unable to find any means of converting to English. Overall, it looks rather suspicious to use a personal Paypal account to purchase an EA serial. As a new player, is far from appealing. I'd rather stay away.

I have to agree, plus the person would need to find strike-team and sign up here to even find that page.
It needs to be an option within the games interface to be effective, otherwise nobody will ever find that login page.

But with the financial incentive, its clear to see why Olaf is in favour of serials coming back.
Not that you don't deserve the cash for everything you have done for the game, but thats a different issue.

If players need to start paying to play online, thats fine, but lets not pretend that this is to solve the cheating issue.

#79 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:06 PM

bettz as WT has told you in the past (quoting freud), sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

there are no hidden agendas or government conspiracies here...

quit trying to derail our constructive efforts (something you clearly have no insight into) just because you enjoy it... please.

edit: and if I can sneak this in here, olaf I'd like you to take a look at my **new** site to approve that I may associate with strike-team/xwis and that there is no "alternative server or interests in one" I am still working on the front page, but I just want this to be clarified so I switched it live although still incomplete. you may need to hit refresh on the homepage for the new version I'm building.

Thanks again.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 05:15 PM.

#80 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:13 PM

bettz as WT has told you in the past (quoting freud), sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

there are no hidden agendas or government conspiracies here...

quit trying to derail our constructive efforts (something you clearly have no insight into) just because you enjoy it... please.

What are you talking about?
Stay on topic and quit trying to make personal attacks, you are the guy who set out to divide the community to further your own project, with your own server and your own site, for 9 months you tried to take away traffic from ST and XWIS, to benefit your own cause, now that it failed you dare to tell others not to derail "constructive efforts"?
What you and Sean did was perhaps the worst case of someone derailing "constructive efforts" in the history of the game.
How many times were you and your staff banned from here?
Right....

Olaf ask neogrant how many times he had to ban those guys because they were attempting to poach members from this very forum.
Now their project failed, they dare to come back and want to affiliate?
Are you kidding me???!!!

Would be like a bank robber trying to steal cash from a bank, but failing, so then trying to get a job as a security guard at the bank.

Edited by Farang, 28 January 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#81 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'll continue to provide proof of my work while you provide accusations based on thin air.

have a good day now if you remember what those are my brother...

<333

and less pirates on the ocean is the cause of global warming. just because you create an associatively based statement or argument that hold some similarities doesn't mean they hold any significant relevance or fact...

(could a mod please remove all this off topic nonsense, thank you & much appreciation)

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#82 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

Neogrant will verify having to ban you and your staff for attempting to poach members, as will the ban logs i'm sure.
Also interesting how the guy who started making off topic comments is now asking for it all to be removed, but then its not hard to see why.

#83 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

I have to agree, plus the person would need to find strike-team and sign up here to even find that page.

ST is mentioned in the login message.

#84 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • XWIS Name: gh

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:57 PM

t

Edited by MaYwEaThErDaZ, 29 January 2011 - 04:34 AM.

#85 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:19 PM

ST is mentioned in the login message.

Olaf, to be clear, im not opposed to serials, if they can limit nicks, then im all for them, im just saying that they will have no impact on cheating, that is already proven over history.

As far as xwis selling serials goes, I think for that system to work, it needs to be far more clear that serials are available to buy within the actual game interface itself, a message like this needs to be very clear in the Internet menu:

"IN ORDER TO PLAY ONLINE A SERIAL MUST FIRST BE PURCHASED FROM STRIKE-TEAM.NET. CLICK THIS LINK TO BUY A SERIAL NOW.

Otherwise I just don't see how anyone will ever find that page, or know how to buy one.

They simply arent going to be effective for the reasons suggested to bring them back, and could also deter new or old players from returning.

If you want to monetize the online play, i believe there are more effective ways to be explored.

#86 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:56 PM

Olaf, to be clear, im not opposed to serials, if they can limit nicks, then im all for them, im just saying that they will have no impact on cheating, that is already proven over history.

I don't remember saying it will. However, they're a requisite for limiting the number of nicks or for banning.

If you want to monetize the online play, i believe there are more effective ways to be explored.

This isn't about me, it's about a request from the TS community. I don't mind either way.

#87 Dyson

Dyson

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walshy

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

I don't remember saying it will. However, they're a requisite for limiting the number of nicks or for banning.

As an outsider with limited technical knowledge in this area: are there any other methods that could be implemented to assist with banning in the absence of serial validation?

#88 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

As an outsider with limited technical knowledge in this area: are there any other methods that could be implemented to assist with banning in the absence of serial validation?

No

#89 Ra1supreme

Ra1supreme

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • XWIS Name: win4cabal

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

First of all.. farang, too much useless noise comes out of your mouth, there is no one suitable to manage TS? Are you serious?
I know several people that are MORE than capable of taking over the TS section. In fact did you guys know that a seperate network/online play is going on right now for CnC95, Ra1 and TS? The home page of that (equivalent to ST for xwis) is very active, and many people play the old cnc games on those networks/servers each day, and the good part is that more and more new people are joining for each day that goes by ! the community is growing. Me and many others play old cnc games there and not through the official route. And believe it or not they also have a ra2 section, cnc95 ra1 and ts is their primary though, they focus on the freeware and keep the games alive. And the people/staff of that site are MORE than capable of taking over TS, they are even looking for new people to get hired, because the community is growing so much. So why not hand the TS section to them, and cnc95 and ra1 for that matter? Make them partners of EA/XWIS? And olaf can spare himselve alot of nagging and trouble by talking to them and let them take over cnc95, ra1 and ts, because they are already doing it with flying colors, and their forum is well active and filled with old and hardcore cnc gamers. This way the whole CnC branch can be kept alive even more and better. And they have a westwood chat alike chatroom, through IRC is think, where cnc people come and meet and plan games. It will only make EA's and your jobs easier, and you guys can keep run ra2 as well as you are doing right now, and the guys ive mentioned can run cnc95, ra1 and ts like you run ra2, and you would be partners and keep all the games alive and well run

If Olaf is SLIGHTLY interested in knowing more of this community, i will gladly direct him to their homepage and the people running it.
CnC95, ra1 and TS and be kept very well alive and organized and run, if only you let it. Just ezctly like when ST took over ra2, the same thing can be done with TS.

I really hope Olaf something can be done. me myselve, im a hardcore westwood gamer, played since first game came out, and my favourite game is Ra2 and yuris revenge, and as a CnC fan i strongly suggest Olaf that you, who can make things happen, you can push the CnC branch to a newer and better level, if you allow TS (and cnc and ra1 for that matter) to become the same as ra2, like when you guys took over ra2 wol. These three legendary games are still highly thoight of and active, lets not ruin them, but make them run and blossom. This will make EA's and your job easier.. you can keep run ra2 as well as you are doing and focus on that, and the guys ive mentioned can run cnc95, ra1 and TS most of all, like you are running ra2. And you could become partners and every game would be kept well alive and running

Edited by ra2supreme, 28 January 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#90 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:16 PM

First of all.. farang, too much useless noise comes out of your mouth, there is no one suitable to manage TS? Are you serious?
I know several people that are MORE than capable of taking over the TS section

You are a nobody in the TS community, so your opinion is worthless, i've forgotten more about this game than you will ever learn.
I can take years away from this game, and everyone will still know who i am, nobody even knows who the hell you are.

The fact remains, there is nobody suitable to admin the TS section.
And by suitable i mean someone with a clean history, that is impartial, objective and has a deep knowledge of the game exploits.
We have had this discussion ad nauseam, so you should do some research before shooting from the hip with your dumb opinion.

Also you should pay more attention in English lessons, learn what a paragraph is.

Edited by Farang, 28 January 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#91 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

This isn't about me, it's about a request from the TS community. I don't mind either way.

Ok, well for the purpose of limiting nicks, i think that would be a good thing, but only if nicks are going to be drastically limited, and the time before they can be changed extended, otherwise players can just make 9 fresh nicks each month, and monkey around, over and over.

If you are going to make 1 nick per serial, and disable the ability to change the nick, or make it every 6 months or something very long,
then serial validations has my vote.

But anything less, and i would vote to keep things without serials, because it wont have any impact,
apart from making the server more difficult to access.

#92 Ra1supreme

Ra1supreme

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

You are making yourselve look more and more stupid for every post.. how many times have you made yourselve look silly in this topic alone? Talking for olaf and him telling you wrong several times already, and you talking out of your mouth, you are lame and idiotic to listen to.. You are the one who should do some research, i can direct olaf to one of the biggest cnc communities if not the biggest, and he can talk with the people there and check for himselve, there are people there who have lived and breathed westwood/cnc for 20 years now and they are running the earlier cnc games with flying colors as we speak.. you are not even worthy to respond to, so this is my last post to you, you can write 100 silly posts, i wont mind them

Edited by ra2supreme, 28 January 2011 - 10:37 PM.

#93 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

Go ahead and quote where i "talked for olaf".
And while you are at it, provide some examples where I "made myself look silly".

Its always the same, people cant debate the logic or facts so they resort to attacking the person, its a classic sign you lost the debate and are desperate.

Also, whatever other sites you are referring to, have nothing to do with Tiberian Sun, a RA1 or CNC1 player cannot effectively administer a TS cheat section, if you cant even understand that much, i really dont know what to tell you, the intricacies of this game and its exploits require years of experience to grasp, something only a hardcore TS player would have, hence why only a hardcore player would be suitable for a position here, otherwise the experienced cheaters would run rings around them.

Edited by Farang, 28 January 2011 - 10:50 PM.

#94 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Of course it is, maybe its not difficult for you, a C++ programmer thats highly IT capable, but for a novice gamer kid, that might be finding TS for the first time, its very difficult.

Have you tried buying a serial for TS recently?
Its not like you can just pick one up at the local store.

You would have to order it online, wait days for it to arrive, and that could just be the difference between a player coming back or not.

If you were offering the sale of a serial via the games interface, that would a different matter, but you aren't.

Agreed. Its not really about spending the couple of bucks to buy a serial. Its about the hassle of finding one online after being booted from the server. It can take weeks and some people may lose interest. Thats what i actually meant with my prev post. Olaf can also dedicate a serial to each strike-team account with or without a fee which can help as well.

I agree with most of the points you made farang, but i dont agree on one thing. You state no1 is qualifed to become a mod. Thats your opinion i know, but i know there is many people that can take care of the community. Whats the worst that can happen? A public vote to remove the person as a MOD. im sure they wont get any advanced privilages as Olaf/Neo has. No, im not trying to say IM a good mod.IM not eligble and i dont want to be one as i dont spend enough time on ts.

I enjoy the fact i can d/l TS any where for free and paly anytime i want though. Having the control panel makes it easy for me to organize my nicks when i reinstall as well.

My vote still remains NO for serial validation. TS community is to fragile to make a big change right now.

I also hope there isnt no agenda here as well.

#95 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:59 PM

Agreed. Its not really about spending the couple of bucks to buy a serial. Its about the hassle of finding one online after being booted from the server. It can take weeks and some people may lose interest. Thats what i actually meant with my prev post. Olaf can also dedicate a serial to each strike-team account with or without a fee which can help as well.

I agree with most of the points you made farang, but i dont agree on one thing. You state no1 is qualifed to become a mod. Thats your opinion i know, but i know there is many people that can take care of the community. Whats the worst that can happen? A public vote to remove the person as a MOD. im sure they wont get any advanced privilages as Olaf/Neo has. No, im not trying to say IM a good mod.IM not eligble and i dont want to be one as i dont spend enough time on ts.

I enjoy the fact i can d/l TS any where for free and paly anytime i want though. Having the control panel makes it easy for me to organize my nicks when i reinstall as well.

My vote still remains NO for serial validation. TS community is to fragile to make a big change right now.

I also hope there isnt no agenda here as well.

I agree about the community being too fragile, doing this would likely kill off half of the community that are currently playing without serials,
as far as the suitable cheat mod, the one person i actually recommended for the job, turned out to be an immature kid when got himself a bit of power on his own forum, IP banned me for correctly predicting that his project was heading in the wrong direction and would fail.

See the problem is, when people get an admin job where they have the ability to ban people, you often see a personality change for the worst.
Ray had potential, but look what happened, he bailed on the game and proved he wasn't reliable the moment sc2 came out.

#96 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

Agreed again. Altho we had our ups and downs farang, I belive you had really strong points in this topic and my answer for validation is still No. Hopfully the rest of the community can enlighten us on how serial validation can help right now.

Im sure there is others that can be a suitable mod. If bil666 would like to return and be dedicated, i would not mind as he is unbiased.

Its funny cause most of the points you made, i didnt say myself to avoid confrontations. We think alike.

Edited by hefeweize, 28 January 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#97 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

Yep agreed.

At this moment it will do more harm than good, you are going to overnight lose a large portion of activity, its wrong to assume that the active players will all purchase serials, many wont.

Edited by Farang, 28 January 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#98 Ra1supreme

Ra1supreme

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

One thing i can agree with you on, you need an experienced guy to manage TS, you dont need some hardcore fella, just one that is well into TS, and you can have more than 1 running the thing, why rely on one, if you can have 3-4.

and how would you know? there are plenty of good people out there inthe communities that can assist and maintain running TS, how do you even suggest Olaf did it with ra2? If Olaf wants, i will PM him with the link to that cnc community, it is a very serious and well run community, an they are literally keeping cnc95 and ra1 alive, and they are even paid. They are like Olaf, they have the technical aspect and everything else needed to run a game. I am very convinced that if Olaf could approach them, or if Olaf wouldnt mind getting approached by them, and they had the upportunity to run the TS server, they would do it exactly like Olaf has done it with ra2.

It doesnt hurt giving it a shot, and Olaf wit hhis knowledge could find otu for himselve that they are capable of taking over the TS server.
And if Olaf thinks it can help the TS community, and make everyone happy and satisfied, then why not let them? Or have them on trial? have them run it for one week alongside ST and see the response.

What are your views on this Olaf?

#99 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

One thing i can agree with you on, you need an experienced guy to manage TS, you dont need some hardcore fella, just one that is well into TS, and you can have more than 1 running the thing, why rely on one, if you can have 3-4.

and how would you know? there are plenty of good people out there inthe communities that can assist and maintain running TS, how do you even suggest Olaf did it with ra2? If Olaf wants, i will PM him with the link to that cnc community, it is a very serious and well run community, an they are literally keeping cnc95 and ra1 alive, and they are even paid. They are like Olaf, they have the technical aspect and everything else needed to run a game. I am very convinced that if Olaf could approach them, or if Olaf wouldnt mind getting approached by them, and they had the upportunity to run the TS server, they would do it exactly like Olaf has done it with ra2.

It doesnt hurt giving it a shot, and Olaf wit hhis knowledge could find otu for himselve that they are capable of taking over the TS server.
And if Olaf thinks it can help the TS community, and make everyone happy and satisfied, then why not let them? Or have them on trial? have them run it for one week alongside ST and see the response.

What are your views on this Olaf?

Good idea with a trial. But, do these people from the CNC community have expereince with actually playing the game Tiberian sun. I know there is many people on this board who paly tib sun analyze screen shots being edited with photoshop etc etc. Its hard to do that when you dont actually play the game.

#100 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

first off I didn't ban you I'm the one who unbanned you after you came and cried to me over msn like a little girl and you know that.

I'm bored of hearing this. I've got other communities and other work where I'm appreciated. I have no problem going else where if you don't want my help.

I actually have a lot of legit talents unlike the most of you who sit here and troll forums thinking of 101 ways to cause problems while sitting on your fat asses.

I will not be renewing cn****, I will not be doing anything to further help any of you.

good luck & best wishes~

(maybe the next person who offers you the time and effort I and others have I suggest you don't allow it to be wasted like this)

cheers~

(olaf please delete my account as I will never be visiting here again to waste my time. peace)

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 11:22 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users