Photo

SERIAL VALIDATION

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

Poll: SERIAL VALIDATION

should serial validation be re-enabled?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

ST can easily stop multiple accounts with IP tools and community based monitoring.

No, they can't. This has been shown time and time again. Some people have addresses that change often, so they can't be tracked.

#52 phildaone

phildaone

SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:11 AM

when does the vote ends and the serial vali comes back? :)

#53 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:34 AM

Don't tell me the TS community consists of 8 members please.

#54 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • XWIS Name: gh

Posted 28 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

There's so many more TS players can't understand why they don't post on here...
How about this Olaf,It's up to you of course(respectively) - advertising a message on TS in lobby saying something along the lines of "have your say on strike-team vote yes/no to serial verification"(I'm not good at that kinda thing lol.)hopefully more TS playaz will join and their say also!

#55 moneyman9

moneyman9

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

There's so many more TS players can't understand why they don't post on here...
How about this Olaf,It's up to you of course(respectively) - advertising a message on TS in lobby saying something along the lines of "have your say on strike-team vote yes/no to serial verification"(I'm not good at that kinda thing lol.)hopefully more TS playaz will join and their say also!

It would be foolish to abandon the freeware of TS, Im sure fo 100 % that the free TS download made a lot of players come (back) to TS.
Definitely if you'd realise that the TS servers are filled with like 70 - 90 people online at around 21:00 - 3:00 (GMT+2), which is a very good amount for such an old game.

In other words; keep TS free for download so that even more players will come (back)!

Edited by moneyman9, 28 January 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#56 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

I know for a fact if I spent a few dollars on a serial I would put more time into playing the game as no one wants to waste money.

it's like when a kid gets a car, if his parents pay for it for him he doesn't take care of it, but if he has some of his own money invested into it, watch how much better it get's taken care of.

hef, both you and I know those players that come back have no problem with 2 or 3 bucks as they are 20+ in age...

I don't see this being an issue, hell I'll set aside some money and buy a few valid serials myself to help people play online if need be.

maybe we both should gear towards that idea? it's always better to work together.

votes all tied up 5-5, best thing I can say is to spread word and keep the votes/comments coming

Thanks

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 02:31 PM.

#57 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • XWIS Name: gh

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:31 PM

It would be foolish to abandon the freeware of TS, Im sure fo 100 % that the free TS download made a lot of players come (back) to TS.
Definitely if you'd realise that the TS servers are filled with like 70 - 90 people online at around 21:00 - 3:00 (GMT+2), which is a very good amount for such an old game.

In other words; keep TS free for download so that even more players will come (back)!

It's tough!But since TS has become FreeWare I personally have witnessed more cheaters playing as well,For instance 'Lordspire' keeps contaminating people's enjoyment of games/tourneys by reconning every single f***ing game!After so long the players are going to get sick of the constant cheating.
basically I think,The cheating will counter-attack the new players.New players WILL stick around for a while,but who wants to stay in a un-moderated server where cheating runs rampant? What fun is there playing for rank when,at the end of the month, is 'lordspire' 100 wins 0 losses.

#58 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

Serial validation will do nothing for TS apart from making it more difficult for new/old players to get online.

Its not going to stop cheaters, we have 12 years of history that proves that serial validation doesn't stop cheaters.

Also, why this is even being discussed, when there are no active cheat admins is beyond me.
I mean, DUH, serial bans are only possible if theres someone to actually resolve reports and action the bans manually, Olaf isnt going to be doing it, neogrant isn't going to be doing it, so who the hell is?
Oh wait, we have already had this discussion ad nauseam and came up with nobody.

Reality check, there is nobody reliable, honest, credible, trustworthy, active and competent enough to action bans in the TS community, which means that serial validation is an absolute waste of time even discussing.

I know some people enjoy wasting time finding things to complain about to strike team, or wanting to make pointless changes because they think it will have some effect, but you just need to realise that you arent going to fix TS with serial validation.
The only way to stop cheaters is with a patch, (which isn't going to happen).
So you either need to learn to live with it, or find something else.

Personally, i couldn't care less about serial validation or not, because it doesn't effect me, i don't play this game, and I wont be playing this game ever again, so the outcome to me is whatever.
But to even have this discussion, without active cheat admins is so ridiculous, i cant even believe its happening.

I will also add, that the WORST thing about the no serial validations, is the fact that players can make 1000 different logins, the best possible thing that could happen to TS, as far as supressing cheating, or at least giving players the option to police it themselves and avoid cheaters, would be to restrict each player to 1 nickname.
NOTHING good comes from allowing players to name hide.
NOTHING good comes from allowing players to play in 5 different clans.
NOTHING good comes from allowing players to use disposable nicks.

The solution is REALLY simple, RESTRICT players to 1 nickname each, if serial validation is the only way to do that, then by all means it has my vote.
Because the real problem with cheaters is the fact they can namehide.

End name hiding, and you massively reduce cheating.
1 nick per IP.

Also I really don't think the TS community should be operating like a democracy when it comes to making changes like this, Olaf you were given responsibility of this server, allowing a vote like this on a forum like this is hardly a reliable, secure voting platform, this is not how decisions should be reached, its very irresponsible infact.
Plus the vast majority of people in the TS community are simply too dumb to be able to weigh the pros and cons of this issue logically.

You should look at the discourse in this thread yourself, and objectively and logically reach and make a decision, that is exactly why you are the server admin.

Edited by Farang, 28 January 2011 - 03:15 PM.

#59 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:13 PM

I take the time to read your posts fully, why don't you take the time to read the full thread before you comment seemingly without a clue to what's going on please.

by far the most ignorant post I've read in this entire thread so far...

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 03:16 PM.

#60 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

Can you be more specific?
What part of my post do you find issue with?

#61 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

how hard is it to read the full topic guy?

1. olaf is 100% for serial validation in the first place
2. olaf has stated that serial validation must be re-enabled for a moderator to be instated
3. you don't have a clue into the technical issues at hand obviously
4. you come in here telling people how things should be done as if there is solid concrete law or fact behind your word instead of actually discussing really anything
5. you go out of your way to call a community including yourself dumb (lol?)
6. I don't know you personally but I can guarantee I have more insight into things going on than you (you yourself discredit yourself with your own post then later go on to talk about logic)
7. just lol.

#62 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

how hard is it to read the full topic guy?

1. olaf is 100% for serial validation in the first place
2. olaf has stated that serial validation must be re-enabled for a moderator to be instated
3. you don't have a clue into the technical issues at hand obviously
4. you come in here telling people how things should be done as if there is solid concrete law or fact behind your word instead of actually discussing really anything
5. you go out of your way to call a community including yourself dumb (lol?)
6. I don't know you personally but I can guarantee I have more insight into things going on than you (you yourself discredit yourself with your own post then later go on to talk about logic)
7. just lol.

1. You do not speak for Olaf.
2. There is nobody suitable for moderator.
3. Technical issues in regards to what? Be more specific, im willing to bet i'm far more advanced technically than yourself.
4. I base my opinion on the 12 yeas of history we have with this game.
5. I said "the majority"
6. Prove it, debate my points instead of name calling?
7. Yeh lol.

Might I add that the OP actually attempted to operate his own server, it failed miserably as predicted of course, however its worth noting that no serial validation was required for his server, so its interesting that he feels so passionate about serial validation, yet didnt implement any sort of validation on his own server.
Might i suggest that he seeks have serial validation reinstated back on strike team, to make it more difficult for players to get online, THUS making his server with no serial validation more attractive to new or returning players that dont have a serial?

Olaf, I think thats the true agenda here.
This guy wants to get serial verification put back on Strike team, which will mean half of the current online players are booted off and cant get back online, and so they will go to the OP's server.

Am i the only person able to see the real agenda here?

#63 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I'll leave you to olaf's response here as I have no argument with you, I have faith that I'm going get a good laugh out of his response as well as others...

#64 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Ok, i figured you would bail, but that's fine, my points are supported by 12 years of history,
so if anyone wants to debate me, you will in effect be debating facts that are supported by 12 years of history.

#65 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

you are not the history of ts m8, I've been around just as long and so have MANY others... hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't about you lol...

I don't see anything else to discuss?

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 04:05 PM.

#66 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

You obviously aren't very perceptive then, because cheating has been a part of the game throughout its life, even when we had admins and serials.

So whats your real agenda here? To make ST less active and your own server more active right?
All those players that are currently on ST without a serial will be homeless, perfect time for you to "relaunch" your server i imagine :)

I'm sorry i figured out your agenda.

#67 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

there is no other server... and never again will there be.

next brilliant statement please...

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 04:12 PM.

#68 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

Why? Because you say so? Yeh well sorry, but I choose not to take your word for it.

Its offline at the moment because you have no members, but that doesn't mean you wont make another attempt to get it operational again,
its just sitting dormant at the moment and can be operational again with a click of a switch.

If you were genuinely done with your TS project and now committed to ST, why is the site still up?

Olaf this guy wants to get serials back for TS, so that many TS players are left homeless, and so he can get some traffic on his server.
Thats the only logical explanation i can fathom for why someone would be so passionate about something so ridiculous.

We have 12 years of proof that serials do nothing to prevent cheating, what more could you need?

#69 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I've just spent hours restructuring that forum to forward everything to strike-team / xwis. Sean (the developer) wants nothing to do with this community because of members like yourself, and I understand and back his point of view on that.

all I do is administrate / GFX, you give me more credit than I actually deserve.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 04:26 PM.

#70 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

Serial validation will do nothing for TS apart from making it more difficult for new/old players to get online.

Registering a serial is not difficult.

1 nick per IP.

A player does not equal an IP address. It doesn't equal a serial either, but that's the next best thing.

#71 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

I've just spent hours restructuring that forum to forward everything to strike-team / xwis. Sean (the developer) wants nothing to do with this community because of members like yourself, and I understand and back his point of view on that.

all I do is administrate / GFX, you give me more credit than I actually deserve.

Sean the developer that harvested and published players IPs from XWIS without their permission?
Sean the developer that has a history of hacking?
Sean the developer that spammed the XWIS lobbies with adverts for your site/server?

Is this the same Sean we are talking about?
Good riddance!

Also, you seem quite fond of IP banning people that state their opinions (that was 100% correct),
so lets not pretend to be innocent little GFX mod.

#72 Farang

Farang

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Registering a serial is not difficult.

Of course it is, maybe its not difficult for you, a C++ programmer thats highly IT capable, but for a novice gamer kid, that might be finding TS for the first time, its very difficult.

Have you tried buying a serial for TS recently?
Its not like you can just pick one up at the local store.

You would have to order it online, wait days for it to arrive, and that could just be the difference between a player coming back or not.

If you were offering the sale of a serial via the games interface, that would a different matter, but you aren't.

Edited by Farang, 28 January 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#73 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

ah, hello bettz, long time no flame... and are you here to just cause the same old problems via another one of your 80 logins?

you can check out what is my site if you like, it is 100% strike-team xwis oriented. and please don't continue to bring sean into this conversation (someone who has nothing to do with this anymore at all)

thanks,

Chris

#74 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13496 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Have you tried buying a serial for TS recently?
Its not like you can just pick one up at the local store.

No, I haven't. I've already got two from the original game and TFD.
Speaking of The First Decade, it's still for sale, as is C&C Saga (AFAIK).

You would have to order it online, wait days for it to arrive, and that could just be the difference between a player coming back or not.

If you were offering the sale of a serial via the games interface, that would a different matter, but you aren't.

You might want to revisit http://xwis.net/cp

#75 Dyson

Dyson

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walshy

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

You might want to revisit http://xwis.net/cp

"Buy via PayPal": Not only is presented in a foreign language, I'm unable to find any means of converting to English. Overall, it looks rather suspicious to use a personal Paypal account to purchase an EA serial. As a new player, this is far from appealing. I'd rather stay away.

Edited by Aleatory, 28 January 2011 - 04:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users