Photo

SERIAL VALIDATION

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

Poll: SERIAL VALIDATION

should serial validation be re-enabled?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 phildaone

phildaone

SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:51 AM

come on,refresh the banned serials already to start from new like u said already.
lets have a competition and a fair game.
if serial vaqli is back we can back cheaters out to clean up our game.
the hard core of players,which still stands loyal to ts would find it nice i think.
when serial vali was there,u can easier join a clan (/join_clan xxx),see ur names (/names in lobby),manage your clan better with admin pass and so on.
when old clan management was there,u can also give some contact datas to get added of some friends in ICQ or msn.
was pretty better.
if u played a rank 1 player,for example lordspire,which are on the way to lose,u made ss,posted sync file to ts and get him banned.
i guess ts were a cleaner game back in days from 06 to 09 i think,when some admins helped the players to hold the game clean.
i guess there enuf reasons the get serial vali back .
so come on guys,like hefe said,lets start from new.
if this happen i practice more and even harder to own the best hehe. :)

i dont expect that somebody agrees with me,it's just my free oppinion. :)

#27 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I personally loved the simplicity of the in lobby /join_clan function, and also I know sean re-created a very well functioning ww login registration and clan management pages if that's of any matter.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 27 January 2011 - 03:01 PM.

#28 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

to have serial validation re-enabled means that we would have to have a consistant/ credible mod. we'd also have to have support from admins, who before making sudden catastrophic changes to the server host an open a discussion about it where they could get input from people who actually have decent understanding of the game/experience with the community, and how those actions would affect it; or, at least, give a clear, early notification of when/why the change will start.

would this be too extravagant or luxurious? enlighten me

Edited by Orochi, 27 January 2011 - 04:23 PM.

#29 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

please continue to spread word guys and let's keep the votes coming in~

#30 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14917 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

A message of the day for TS notifying of this discussion might be worth having.

#31 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

^^^ yes, thank you if you are willing.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 27 January 2011 - 04:35 PM.

#32 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

i dont think voting on this will be productive until we establish that other requirements are present; i think frz' points are valid and much more discussion is necessary in general.

#33 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

that was already discussed in the past as there are already multiple topics I thought?

also I was under the impression they are still active and possibly still being looked at by staff.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 27 January 2011 - 04:43 PM.

#34 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

anything positive that was intended to come from those topics was nullified by the off-topic flaming and commentary. i assume strike team didnt care enough to seperate the productive posts from the irrelevent or detrimental bullsh*t and made the generalization that ts players cant make a decision/the community is too childish to be taken seriously.

hence, where we are now

Edited by Orochi, 27 January 2011 - 08:12 PM.

#35 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

@ Neo or Olaf. If we were to turn on serial validation. How does this effect.

1. Freeware TS.
2. Clan system (do we have the /join_clan feature or are we using the same webpage to invite clans)
3. Only turny games count on ladder after having a serial registered? *im sure this is possible w/o serial validation*
4. Perma banning cheaters will return? If so, how do you perma ban Freeware 'downloaded' ts players? <-- if applies
5. With serial validation turned on wil this give us a TS moderator to take care of reports and notifiying the correct people to appeal/adminster a ban?

#36 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:24 PM

@ Neo or Olaf. If we were to turn on serial validation. How does this effect.

1. Freeware TS.
2. Clan system (do we have the /join_clan feature or are we using the same webpage to invite clans)
3. Only turny games count on ladder after having a serial registered? *im sure this is possible w/o serial validation*
4. Perma banning cheaters will return? If so, how do you perma ban Freeware 'downloaded' ts players? <-- if applies
5. With serial validation turned on wil this give us a TS moderator to take care of reports and notifiying the correct people to appeal/adminster a ban?

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/168059-serial-validation/page__view__findpost__p__1440814

1. Freeware is offline only
2. No change
5. It's a prerequisite

#37 Dyson

Dyson

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walshy

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

1. Freeware is offline only

Since the freeware release, I assume this game is no longer sold in stores (I have not seen it). How would freeware patrons acquire a serial for online play?

#38 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 13498 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:56 PM

Since the freeware release, I assume this game is no longer sold in stores (I have not seen it). How would freeware patrons acquire a serial for online play?

The First Decade and Command & Conquer Saga are still for sale.

#39 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

first decade includes-

+ Command & Conquer–August 1995
- Command & Conquer–The Covert Operations–April 1996
+ Command & Conquer: Red Alert–October 1996
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert–Counterstrike–March 1997
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert–The Aftermath–September 1997
+ Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun–August 1999
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun–Firestorm–February 2000
+ Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2–October 2000
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2–Yuri's Revenge–October 2001

+ Command & Conquer: Renegade–February 2002
+ Command & Conquer: Generals–February 2003
- Command & Conquer: Generals – Zero Hour–September 2003

$18 new on amazon, that's a fair price in my opinion, could even try your hand at online play in a little ra2 or yuri if you like

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#40 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:19 AM

I vote no. Altho a gd idea for some. It will decrease any newcomers comign to TS. TS being a freeware is awesome esp since you can play online. Even oldskoolers who dont have a copy will have easy access. Like me.

I think we should have a active moderator for ts. Im sure its easy to freeze ranks/delete wins/loses from a cheater.

Im not going to start another moderator topic tho.

#41 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:27 AM

you do understand the word prerequisite?

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 03:28 AM.

#42 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:37 AM

Of course i understand prerequisite. But it can be done either way. Olaf is the leader of ST, he can easily give us a dedicated MOD w/o validation. We had our TS mod and he went afk for a year. Strike-team wont choose som1 from ts. Why kill a good thing "freeware wit online play" there is so many new players getting on all the time. Even tho they arnt tezz players they fit the population.

Even if we had serial validation on, what difference will you see? There will be banned players/cheaters. I havnt had problems with cheaters in clanners or ffgs. Just the couple few players like "lordspire" in turnies. Serial validation can cause more confusion for people that alredy adapted to how it is now.

We complain about cheaters.. Yes! But, you dont need to have serial validation to freeze records and im sure there is ways of banning IPS or players with regular human-based monitoring.

If Olaf can promise a DEDICATED moderator to be set before starting validation, lets do it. But wen we have about 30 players (esp me and few others who are using freeware) you are going to see a decrease in population till a serial is accquired.

You wont get it the way you are used to /join_clan etc etc. it will be the same.

Edited by hefeweize, 28 January 2011 - 03:39 AM.

#43 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:09 AM

You just got a crystal clear answer from olaf, I don't know what else to tell you.

Sean, Wolf, Cow, myself, and others tried to help you guys out once on a server with support outside of xwis that everyone wanted at first, and then guess what... it got built out of their free-time and hard work and no one gave a **** about it.

so here we are with all you have left and no one to blame but yourselves, I can see why olaf wants to do jack**** for tiberian sun.

is it that big of deal to you to pay a few dollars for a serial? ffs...

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 04:13 AM.

#44 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:21 AM

You just got a crystal clear answer from olaf, I don't know what else to tell you.

Sean, Wolf, Cow, myself, and others tried to help you guys out once on a server with support outside of xwis that everyone wanted at first, and then guess what... it got built out of their free-time and hard work and no one gave a **** about it.

so here we are with all you have left and no one to blame but yourselves, I can see why olaf wants to do jack**** for tiberian sun.

is it that big of deal to you to pay a few dollars for a serial? ffs...

Im not angry on how ts is now. Its perfectly fine for me. I have many serials i can obtain easily. Im trying to figure out why serial validation will make ts more populated than not. If you can come up with that answer, enlighten me.

Sorry that your server is not working out. Its great to have, especially if ST stops suporting TS. I always thought its a gd idea to keep people in one place rather than spliting. Maybe if we have serial validation turned on, all the freeware downloaders can play on your server as it will support it.

How many people will say "forget ts" when they have to buy a new serial. I come on, click and go.

Not trying to argue with you Chris, i respect and appreciate all your efforts with TS. Just giving my 2cents.

All the community really wanted was a dedicated mod from the TS family. Thats all

Edited by hefeweize, 28 January 2011 - 04:23 AM.

#45 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:44 AM

I just don't get it, one second there needs to be all these things done to make ts better for the community.

the next "I'm not angry on how ts is now. It's perfectly fine for me"

how does this make any sense at all?

(I'm just using your words as an example of how literally every single other ts member here acts, I don't know if you specifically said anything needs to be done in the first place or not...)

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 05:12 AM.

#46 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:46 AM

I just don't get it, one second there needs to be all these things done to make ts better for the community.

the next "I'm not angry on how ts is now. It's perfectly fine for me"

how does this make any sense at all?

When i speak, i speak for the majority of the community. I never complained once about having a "TS MOD" for myself. If you weigh out the risks/advantages. Serial validation is best to be off. Thats my opinion.

#47 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:53 AM

Jsut give me a few reasons why u think serial validation is a gd idea. Asking nicly. I dont know why u mad at me for voicing my opinion in a topic you made to discuss this.

Edited by hefeweize, 28 January 2011 - 04:53 AM.

#48 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:05 AM

I don't get emotional over the internet. I apologize if it sounded that way.

we are going to have to make these sacrifices if anything at all is going to be done for ts. olaf has made that clear.

people want to play competitively for prizes, that will never happen without serial validation.

ranks do mean things to people whether you or others think that's stupid or not.

I see 5 topics alone this week from new players or players who came back asking why lordspire isn't banned, who then go on to state that if these things were in fact implemented and moderated they would play much more and try to get better.

this is why the thread was created in the first place to amass a community decision, the point is to spread the word to as many players to come together here to vote and have a voice so we can figure this out.

look at the skill level... it's like ai level 0. I don't play because there is no one decent to play because there is no drive for player improvement anymore

the fact is people use to want that number 1 spot, now no one cares because it's whoever instantwin/freewins the most that month...

Edited by chrismlawrence, 28 January 2011 - 05:53 AM.

#49 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • XWIS Name: gh

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:10 AM

we are going to have to make these sacrifices if anything at all is going to be done for ts. olaf has made that clear.

people want to play competitively for prizes, that will never happen without serial validation.

ranks do mean things to people whether you or others think that's stupid or not.

I see 5 topics alone this week from new players or players who came back asking why lordspire isn't banned, who then go on to state that if these things were in fact implemented and moderated they would play much more and try to get better.

this is why the thread was created in the first place to amass a community decision, the point is to spread the word to as many players to come together here to vote and have a voice so we can figure this out.

look at the skill level... it's like ai level 0. I don't play because there is no one decent to play because there is no drive for player improvement anymore

the fact is people use to want that number 1 spot, now no one cares because it's whoever instantwin/freewins the most that month...

True.

On a little side note!

I was browsing through YouTube a few hours ago,and I searched up an old game(older than TS)-(1995-1996) that I used to play on PS1,I wont mention it b/c of advertisement but! The video basically was one of many Replays and extras + A link to a server which also had the game as Freeware! So what I'm getting at is in terms of/and promoting advertisement for TS,I think we should have more videos of TS on youtube(1v1s etc).Think about it, how many people are on Youtube and ex-TS players !A few are bound to just type Tibsun in someday lol!
So I downloaded the game anyway and went online blah blah and I was spammin in the lobby and I asked a few guys when did you start playing '--------' and some of them were like only recently ! So sorry if I'm off topic but just thought id put in my bit :)

Edit -

was quoting - the fact is people use to want that number 1 spot, now no one cares because it's whoever instantwin/freewins the most that month

There was quite a few players on too,especially for 4:30 a.m
So if an old game like that can be revived,why not TS :)?

Perhaps the serial verification was implied again...
How about this for a solution("for hassle of acquiring serial),upon downloading the TS file there would be some sort of serial jumbler(scrambles up a new serial per IP) file which could offer 1 different serial to a different person if yous get what I mean. :)

Edited by MaYwEaThErDaZ, 28 January 2011 - 07:42 AM.

#50 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:40 AM

Your correct.

Lordspire can have his rank reset and he will start to lose faith in cheating. I doubt that ra2 gets prizes with or w/o serials. I think ranks are great especially if fair players are on the ladder. This can all be dealt with or without serial validation. Olaf made it clear that we can have a mandatory TS moderator if we have serial validation. Ok great. But why not have it w/o? If he can easily go against EA's action to make TS free, why not make the free TS with a mod? We have people willing to do this for free cause they just lvoe the game.. no loss. this is not a high risk site. If that makes sense.

ive seen only ` 1 or 2 people claim to play more and try to get better w serial validation. I just dont see this really making a difference. I think alot of players dont like the big change with how clans are made.. 5 years ago TS didnt get prizes with validation. 2 years ago neither.. Now? Nah! There is many players that are willing to donate prizesto help TS prosper.

Serial validation can do more harm than good in my opinion. If the only way to get a TS mod is to add serial validation, so be it. But, if i was the Admin of strike-team, i would listen to the players. TS was great before it was released as freeware. But a sudden change back to validation can really hurt a small community.

Bad

1. Kills the freeware
2. Current players that use freeware will need to obtain a "$2 or $3 serial".. Some will lose faith and quit ts for a while! It has happened!
3. Sudden change in TS will just shorten the player-base this has been seen many times.

Good.

1. Improves fair games and ranks <-- This is really hard to say, i have to see it to believe it. It all depends on being granted a dedicated MOD.
2. still trying to think of another reason.

Im still not convinced. I need somting really good to make me think validation would be the best idea. Trust me, i belive rankings are great but i dont see a current widespread cheating problem at the moment. Especially a problem that cant be fixed w/o validation. Im very open minded and i dont stick to 1 thing. So if you can come up with a few strong supported reasons why validation shud be required, i will support you

@ mayweather

I think the serial "jumbler" idea is good. i thought about that to. Each person will ahve to register thier account with ST and issued a unique serial. ST can easily stop multiple accounts with IP tools and community based monitoring.

Edited by hefeweize, 28 January 2011 - 08:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users