Photo

SERIAL VALIDATION

• Please log in to reply
317 replies to this topic

Poll: SERIAL VALIDATION

should serial validation be re-enabled?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

The question up for debate, place your votes & discuss~

please no flames~

Thanks

#2 Dyson

Dyson

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walshy

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:02 PM

I'd vote yes - only if it's actually effective.
However, as a patron of the recent freeware release: how will this affect my online experience? Unquestionably, I have a predisposition towards the outcome that does not directly hinder my ability to play online.

#3 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:17 PM

only players using valid serials will be ranked on the player/clan ladders. I believe you can still play tourny/clan games they just will not count.

#4 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12479 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:16 PM

No, a serial would be required for everything, just like it used to be.

#5 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:21 PM

there you have it ^ I stand corrected~

#6 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • XWIS Name: gh

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:30 AM

Is serial validation required for banning?

#7 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:53 AM

yes, that would be the point of it being brought back

Edited by chrismlawrence, 26 January 2011 - 03:53 AM.

#8 MaYwEaThErDaZ

MaYwEaThErDaZ

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • XWIS Name: gh

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

In my opinion even when TS had serial validation most cheaters got back online eg mammy2k1.
So what's the point in having it implemented now,when it's only going to result in new players finding themselves downloading the game and going through the hassle of getting a serial, however possible unless I think Olaf makes new ones?

People hardly still care about their rank in 2011 surely? Just enjoy the game the way it is and avoid cheaters simple as!

Edited by MaYwEaThErDaZ, 26 January 2011 - 07:16 AM.

#9 phildaone

phildaone

SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

i agree with serial validation also to ban cheaters like lordspire and so on out of game and to get a clean players game. !
so u can make a strike team report aand ban this fo0ls.
also the clan management were much better if you created a clan and get a admin password.
to see all ur logs u just needed to type down /names and seen 'em all.
joining a clan was pretty easier, /join clan XXX and u were in.
now u have to ask potencial members first if there created her log in xwis.
if not u have to explain them the long way...
-_-
get serials back like the days from 06-09 or sumthin'.

were much better and i guess players agree with this fact~

#10 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • XWIS Name: North

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:54 PM

I guess I will post the serious part of my deleted posts here without the insults to this sites admins.

Guys, Look.. All serial validation will do is make this game more of a hassle to log into. This game being any kind of a hassle makes it not worth the attempt. As most people logging in are only logging in to get a little nostalgia of 5-10 years ago.

Cheats on this game are NOT a big deal in any way what so ever. The only thing that is even less of a big deal is having pixelated numbers next to your user names. You guys are crying about reconers getting top ranks, well.. what would happen if theyre were no reconners? Then the people in the top ranks would be medium skill level players who are no where near the best, who are dodging top players and newb bashing their way to top rank.. Newb bashing is equally as pointless and unworthy of recognition as reconers. And it will be a Newb basher in the top 3 every single month. And here is why.. Because there are only about 5 noteworthy players left playing this game and about 100 total players left world wide. Kapa/ray/dareeta/corps.. Are basically your unbeatable people.. Except that they are all so highly experienced, they can all beat each other at about a 1:1 ratio. Now, Even though they can easily beat the other 95 people playing the game.. After a day or two into the month when everyone figures out who they are, they will no longer join their games, thus leaving only those 4/5 people to play each other, thus those 4/5 people will have several losses each on their record due to the 1:1 ratio thing. This leaves open a chance for a newb basher to have tons of games with very few loses, 0 if he knows how to check IP's and spends a day or two logging them all... The elite players will all occupy the 3-5 ranks while the newb bashers claim 1-2.. And then you will all be in here crying to have newb bashers banned.

Ok.. Now that your wet dream of being rank 1 on TS is crushed.. Here is more reasons why this is stupid.. Even with serial validation, cheat reports have to be acknowledged, and punishments have to be carried out. Now we all know from years of experience that this isn't going to happen. Ask yourselves.. How many reconers got banned in the past years? Thats right, Zero.. But I'll tell you what will happen.. Xwis admins will search out threads of people they know to be skilled and competitive and active players and snipe them out to diminish the hardcore player base that is left. They aren't going to monitor our cheat reports Which makes having the ability to ban people pointless. Now, lets not forget that even with serial validation. The game is still FREE and you will still be able to get unlimited serial #s thus perm banning is impossible, and the cheaters will be right back on an 5 minutes later.

Rank games are FFGs with set teams. Your rank # means nothing, getting rank 1 means nothing you still aren't the best player, being the best player in a base of 100 people means nothing, Having a little fun means A LOT, and having a little fun will be impossible if everyone is banned and the servers get shut down, which is what Olaf wants, which is the only reason he is allowing this to go on, so more people will stop playing and he can shut down the servers cuz he hates TS and will never ever do anything to help it. Which is why every action he has ever taken towards this game has caused hoards of people to stop playing it.

VOTE NO

#11 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 12479 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

if everyone is banned and the servers get shut down, which is what Olaf wants, which is the only reason he is allowing this to go on,

What is that based on?

#12 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

Are you kidding me? Basically, we've been complaining about the neglect to our game since the day you took over the servers. And out of the 100% of ideas and complaints that have been issued over the years, the 1% that have been answered were the ones that you knew would cause people to stop playing. For example, the limiting of user names per serial #, the removal of mod maps from ranked games, and the bannings of skilled legit players for things such as fiending people in non ranked games.

Have you fixed any bugs?
have you fixed the clans?
have you done anything to promote activity?

gtfo? Basically the answer to your question is the sentence that immediately follows your quote.

Edited by FrzFlame, 26 January 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#13 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 12479 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Are you kidding me? Basically, we've been complaining about the neglect to our game since the day you took over the servers. And out of the 100% of ideas and complaints that have been issued over the years, the 1% that have been answered were the ones that you knew would cause people to stop playing. For example, the limiting of user names per serial #, the removal of mod maps from ranked games, and the bannings of skilled legit players.

Have you fixed any bugs?
have you fixed the clans?
have you done anything to promote activity?

gtfo?

Nowhere it's said that I'd like the TS servers to be shutdown.

#14 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

Olaf, I understand that you've never actually admited this. But based on the neglect and negative actions, do you expect one to think that you actually give a damn about the game and want to have to continue to bother with it? I think not. It's a logical deduction.

You want to "care" for TS?

Fix the game
Promote activity

Otherwise leave it alone.

Edited by FrzFlame, 26 January 2011 - 02:50 PM.

#15 Dyson

Dyson

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • XWIS Name: Walshy

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

No, a serial would be required for everything, just like it used to be.

Just for unambiguous clarification: Serial validation would revoke any freeware players' ability to play online?

#16 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 12479 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Olaf, I understand that you've never actually admited this. But based on the neglect and negative actions, do you expect one to think that you actually give a damn about the game and want to have to continue to bother with it? I think not. It's a logical deduction.

You might want to work on your logic.
The fact that I don't care as much about TS as I do about RA2 does not imply I want to shutdown TS servers.

#17 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I can understand some of the frustrations, but there are so far not many attempts at creative solutions in a lot of the things being said so far.

the main issues that seem to be brought up are~

1. what about those players with the freeware downlaod
2. players not wanting to give the effort hassling with a legit serial to play online
3. players such as mammy2k in the past have avoided their bans
4. what's the point other than to see pixilated numbers next to their name (frz)

to create a solution to issues 1 and 2 above, perhaps a limited number of previously banned serials say 100 or so of the banned serials with the absolute latest attempts to be used are dating back over 7-11 years in time may be re-issued pending account registration and verification by those at strike-team, if I personally go to google for example and look for serials out there I find far less than there ever once was those many years ago.

maybe just wipe them all clean and start over? sure this would create a great deal more work for a mods/admins, but the activity spike we could see would be worth it in my opinion. Upon attempted server login without a valid serial it could re-direct directly to strike-team for account registration.

now I'll move to issue 3, the problem with the mammy2k example is that first of all there was no ts moderator at that time to properly moderator that mammy (or anyone else from valid cheat reports) got banned. cheat reports where created but nothing happened as a result of consequence back then.

finally issue 4, frz... this is starting bore me as I'm reading you post this across the entire forum. there are people who would like to donate ladder prizes for a variety of competitions here at strike-team, but without rule enforced ladders it kills that possibility entirely. It's not about an ego boost for seeing rank 1 next to your name, it's about promoting activity and competition.

Edited by chrismlawrence, 26 January 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#18 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

All I know is, if serial validation goes through and cheaters are banned... I will be training 24/7 from now on until I obtain rank 1 on each laddar.

@ Olaf, Are you still defending yourself by simply denying the accusation? Well the reason my Logic is in fact valid is, You don't even have to give a fk about TS to help maintain it. The fact of the matter is you control the servers, in order to control Ra2 you must control TS as well.. And the fact that you support Ra2 wall2wall, and do absolutely nothing for TS gives a very convincing impression that you would rather not have to deal with it at all.. This is considering the fact that literally "seconds" of your time is all it would take for you to handle many of the issues that plagued TS. In all actuality all you woulda had to do is allow one of TS' community leaders to be in charge of it and they woulda been very happy to do all the work for you. And this option was presented to you with valid candidates several times.. What did you do? Exactly what someone who didn't want the game to even be active would do because of a personal grudge.. Nothing, If I controled two games for some raeson.. For the sake of argument The Sims, which I never even installed before, And FFXI which I used to play all the time, I wouldn't totally neglect the sims game just because I had no interest in it. Unless of course I had a motive for not wanting it's players to be happy and stick around.

#19 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • 12479 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

@ Olaf, Are you still defending yourself by simply denying the accusation?

Yeah, what else? Does it really matter?
I still don't say that I care as much about TS as I do about RA2.

#20 hefeweize

hefeweize

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

How about keep it the way it is and have a permanant TS moderator to ban and keep cheaters banned. Make a cheat report/ban IP if possible? If serial validation is required to keep them off the ladders, so be it. But make sure to unban all previously banned serials and start them all fresh so we can have a fresh start.

No time to comment furhter.

Will comment on this topic later.

#21 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:43 AM

Yeah, what else? Does it really matter?
I still don't say that I care as much about TS as I do about RA2.

I bet you didn't have the same attitude when you were negotiating with EA to have XWIS be the official servers. Obviously it matters a great deal to TS players. Considering this thread... And the hundreds like it that you've ignored. You haven't mentioned a single good reason to believe I am wrong, The best you can do is to simply post "you're wrong!"

@Hef, I'm surprised to hear you say that considering your past... You of all people should know that is a bad idea. Especially now, there is no single person who is unbiased towards everyone and consistent enough to do that. The fact of the matter is, It is far too late to make any credible changes. Just enjoy what it is for the time it has left.

Edited by FrzFlame, 27 January 2011 - 01:45 AM.

#22 NeoGrant

NeoGrant

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • 14727 posts
  • XWIS Name: neo

Posted 27 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

Personally TS reports were not created as often as they should have been, with serial validation on. Should TS have serial validation on? Yes. Will it make a difference in banning cheaters, with the amount of good reports made? Not sure.

#23 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 02:54 AM

If your going to go that far you might as well just support the game in general don't you think?

#24 nitemarez

nitemarez

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:13 AM

frz are you just here to run your mouth or do you have anything positive to contribute to the topic?

#25 FrzFlame

FrzFlame

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:32 AM

frz are you just here to run your mouth or do you have anything positive to contribute to the topic?

Honestly, I am just here to run my mouth, and no I don't have anything positive to contribute to something that I believe is negative.

smd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users