8 replies to this topic

#1 HL2Pk

HL2Pk

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 03:53 PM

Basically I'm playing RA2 via Hamachi, with a few friends. As such I am not connecting to XWIS servers in the process, as the entire thing is done through emulated LAN.

Our connections to the Internet are flaky; at times we disconnect for more than 30 seconds. Unfortunately, RA2 only allows disconnections to last for 30 seconds, and no more.

We don't mind waiting longer than 30 seconds, as we can kick a player if necessary. Is it possible, therefore, to increase the 30 second time limit? I don't mind editing Game.EXE (I don't know if I'm allowed to, couldn't find a copy of the EULA) if necessary, as I have some skills in assembly/machine code programming.

So my question is: how would I go about increasing the disconnection time limit?

(Note: I have posted here as well, although I don't think it's an appropriate forum. Then again, maybe this forum is incorrect too - I'd be glad if someone could advise me to post elsewhere.)

EDIT: I just read the FAQ; the EULA says "You also may not...decompile, disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer or attempt to reverse engineer or derive source code from, all or any portion of the Product...". Is there any other way apart from disassembling the code, then?

Edited by HL2Pk, 15 December 2010 - 04:00 PM.

#2 HL2Pk

HL2Pk

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

anyone??

#3 zzattack

zzattack

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5357 posts
  • XWIS Name: zzattack

Posted 18 December 2010 - 12:00 AM

Given that almost everyone plays with at least a no-cd version of the game nowadays I wouldn't worry too much. The commonly used QM resolution patch and RA2 maps patch both modify the game.exe too.

#4 Olaf

Olaf

Commander

• XWIS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13496 posts
  • XWIS Name: XTF

Posted 18 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Why don't you just play via XWIS?

#5 HL2Pk

HL2Pk

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:47 PM

Why don't you just play via XWIS?

Even then, it wouldn't fix the 30-second connection issue.
Wouldn't it be impossible to increase the 30 second limit if playing online? I thought the servers controlled that (to avoid cheating, etc.?)
However, over LAN it would be a different story, as only each local computer controls the connections, etc.

(Sorry for the rather late response!)

#6 afeenaaa

afeenaaa

PUDDI

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 06:07 PM

So my question is: how would I go about increasing the disconnection time limit?

As a hint I guess when a disconnect occurs GetTickCount + allowed seconds * 1000 is stored and is then continously compared against fresh values to detect timeouts.

Even then, it wouldn't fix the 30-second connection issue.

120 seconds are allowed online.

Wouldn't it be impossible to increase the 30 second limit if playing online? I thought the servers controlled that (to avoid cheating, etc.?)

No it would not, it's P2P and same pattern as above goes.

Why don't you just play online?

#7 HL2Pk

HL2Pk

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

Still no luck. Been working 24/7 on this problem for 3 years.

-- HL2Pk

#8 ZiGZaG

ZiGZaG

Commander

• ST Retirees
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5085 posts
  • XWIS Name: Freedom

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Why dont you just play with your friends on the XWIS Server? When a disconnection occurs on XWIS you have 120 seconds rather than 30.

#9 HL2Pk

HL2Pk

New Conscript

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Why dont you just play with your friends on the XWIS Server? When a disconnection occurs on XWIS you have 120 seconds rather than 30.

I need more like 300 sec, and now I also need resilience against actual game crashes (maybe it's just modern (i.e. >XP) versions of Windows, but the damned thing crashes regularly (~once in every five-ten ~2hr sessions) regardless of the state of my network connection).

So, five years in, I've started writing a clone instead: http://ra2.soon.it. Go figure.

U: ra2

P: rules.ini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users