#1 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

Xwis Was Initially Striketeam

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts
  • XWIS Name: fir3w0rx

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

I made this topic to encourage players to share their techniques on how to counter early engineer attacks so that hopefully players who have trouble with them (such as myself) can improve their game.

How to Counter an Engi Rush - with Sovs

An engi is walking towards your base:
  • Make a dog then eat the engi.
  • If it's too late to make a dog because the engi is close to your building, place a sentry down near the engi. You should always have a sentry gun ready as soon as you have your barracks up. You can always cancel it if you need the money.
  • If you don't have enough money for a sentry, sell the building, you'll be much better off than letting your opponent capture it.
  • If the engi is going for your MCV and you don't have any dogs or sentries, repack your MCV (or sell it if repack is disabled).
  • You can also use walls but I find it annoying having to place a wall down then scout, place another wall down, build, another wall, scout... and so on. It can also be a waste of money, ie. you wall your MCV but your opponent engis your War Factory. And further more, if you decide to move your MCV later on in the match, you will have to first sell part of your wall (careful not to sell the MCV!).
There are no tech buildings and you notice that your opponent has an engi waiting at their base & they've just made a trak/IFV:
  • Make a drone. These are the only units fast enough to catch traks and IFV's. You won't be out-tanked because they've made a trak/IFV.
  • If your drone doesn't catch it on time, have your sentry ready and place it down as soon as the trak/ifv stops next to one of your buildings. Click on your sentry then aim your cursor at the back of the trak/IFV. (very important!). As soon as the engi comes out, click on it. I emphasized clicking on your sentry and manually aiming at the engi because sometimes, for some weird reason, the sentry will automatically attack the vehicle even though the engi is closer.
2 IFVs w/ engis:
  • Do NOT use drones. The IFVs will always be running together and can quickly fix that drone counter-attack with one zap.
  • At this point of the game, you will only have 1 War Factory. Move your tanks near it. The reason for this is to scare your opponent from attacking your War Factory because you can easily sell and rebuild your power and Barracks, and you can repack your MCV (and maybe even run over the engis with it). But if you lose your one & only War Factory, especially on an open map where tesla troopers are useless... gg! But of course, try not to have to sell or repack by placing the sentry and manually attacking as I mentioned above.
  • Droning 2 engi IFVs isn't all bad, just do it as they are closer to your base. If they stop to fix each other, kill them with your tanks. (Added by DylHole)
WP engis:
  • If the trak/IFV is next to your building, you won't have enough time to manually point & click, so you must drone it before it gets there.
  • Probably best to move your tanks next to your War Factory (as above).
  • Dogs are great against WP engis too, they can eat them before they walk into the building. (Added by DylHole)
WP 2 IFVs w/ engis:
  • Good luck!
  • Probably best to protect your War Factory again. You'll probably have to sell.
  • (This is rare but if anyone has any suggestions, they are much more than welcome!) biggrin.gif
Drone/engi combo:
This is another tough one to counter. You must make sure to scout and observe your opponent with every spare second you have. This is the only way to know what's inside that trak.
  • Try to drone the flak trak asap. If your drone fails, cancel whatever you're currently building and make a service depot, as well as a sentry gun. Place the sentry gun next to your Construction Yard. If/when the flak trak reaches it, repack then repair your droned MCV on your depot. Your sentry gun and drone should be enough to destroy the flak trak and kill the engineer. This takes practice because you won't have time to think!
  • These are ALWAYS used to attack your MCV, if they attack something else, it's because they've failed.
  • If you see an engi AND a drone deployed, unless you have conscripts around your MCV, do NOT repack. Place your sentry down next to your MCV then manually attack the engi. While you're waiting for the trak to deploy, you can of course try to counter it with the 1 or 2 tanks that you have, and maybe bring your drone back after it failed to catch it, but if your micro sux like mine does, just focus on killing the engi with your sentry.
  • Make 3-5 conscripts and place them around your MCV, aswell as tanks. Conscripts make great fodders so most likely/hopefully the drone won't jump in your MCV but kill one of your conscripts. Which is a much better alternative. If it's a small map, just sell your MCV as soon as the trak deploys and you got yourself a sell-MCV rush, not to mention the fact that your opponent is already behind for making a trak, engi and drone. (Added by DylHole)
  • Move your tanks to your conyard, and when he deploys his flak track, hopefully the drone will attack a tank. It'll cost you a tank, but it will allow you to safely repack your conyard. Although a sentry gun will cost you less (500), it's also more risky. I opt for sacrifing one tank, b/c in the end you loose 900 credits, while they loose 1500 (trak+drone+engi), a deal anybody would make (Added by truefeel). Right after repacking your conyard, you'll have to quickly force-fire your droned tank with your other tanks, miners, garrisoned structure or whatever units you have nearby. Furthermore, you'll need to constantly watch their now failed engi and make sure it doesn't try to capture a different building. This counter is doable but you'll need good micro skills to do it successfully.
Miscellaneous Tips:
  • Wall both your MCV and power together and put a few conscripts around your barracks. By doing this, you'll only have to worry about your War Factory, which, so long as it does not affect your BO, you can place near a garrisoned building (if any). (Added by AaSoVGoD).
  • Just quit the match and never re that player again. Saves a lot of frustration (Added by Mikoz). Doing this will either encourage that player to stop engi-rushing, or make them think, "Well that was easy, I'll just keep doing it to climb the ladder quickly!". Either way, in future games, they aren't gonna get any more excitement or points from you.
Note that another counter to all the things mentioned above would be to engi your opponent first! But I'd much prefer an alternative. Feel free to make any suggestions or comments, good or bad.

Edited by fir3w0rx, 26 September 2015 - 11:51 AM.

#2 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:36 PM

You need to scout well. Also, droning 2 engi IFVs isn't all bad just do it as they are closer to your base, and if they stop to fix kill it with tanks. Dogs are great verse waypoint engineers and can eat them before they walk into building. As for drone / engi combo just make 3-5 conscripts and place around mcv, aswell as tanks. Conscripts work as great fodder so, most likely / hopefully the drone won't jump in your mcv but kill one of your conscripts. Which is a much better alternative. If it's a small map, just sell mcv as soon as the flak deploys and you got yourself a sell mcv rush, not to mention the fact that your opponent is behind already with makeing the fland and drone.

#3 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

You need to scout well. Also, droning 2 engi IFVs isn't all bad just do it as they are closer to your base, and if they stop to fix kill it with tanks. Dogs are great verse waypoint engineers and can eat them before they walk into building. As for drone / engi combo just make 3-5 conscripts and place around mcv, aswell as tanks. Conscripts work as great fodder so, most likely / hopefully the drone won't jump in your mcv but kill one of your conscripts. Which is a much better alternative. If it's a small map, just sell mcv as soon as the flak deploys and you got yourself a sell mcv rush, not to mention the fact that your opponent is behind already with makeing the fland and drone.

When I make dogs to counter traks/IFVs w/ engis, they sometimes run over them before deploying. But I do like the rest of your suggestions, I'll add them if you don't mind.

*EDIT: "When I make dogs to counter traks w/ engis..."

Edited by Fireworks, 31 October 2010 - 12:19 AM.

#4 Chrisev

Chrisev

CnCSaga Staff since 2009

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9132 posts
  • XWIS Name: Chrisev

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

Good topic, cover engi rush at starting of game is easy with soviet just good scout and drone and it's ok :)

#5 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:46 PM

When I make dogs to to counter traks/IFVs w/ engis, they sometimes run over them before deploying. But I do like the rest of your suggestions, I'll add them if you don't mind.

IFVs wont squish your dogs. ;D

#6 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

IFVs wont squish your dogs. ;D

Oh ok. All these years I thought that both flak-traks AND IFVs can run dogs over, lol. What a noob! That's why I need suggestions! :p

Edited by Fireworks, 31 October 2010 - 12:22 AM.

#7 DylHole

DylHole

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4864 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

I remember when i first started using allieds, i used like 2 ifv to kill para. and like 3 landed so tried to squish them... :(

#8 AaSoVGoD

AaSoVGoD

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4319 posts
  • XWIS Name: AaSoVGoD

Posted 01 November 2010 - 04:48 AM

I remember a funny game against robin on tour (qm) he eng rushed me all previous games so i came up with the idea of walling mcv+power together and some extra gi's from barracks. War factory near the pyramid. Next, his waypointed engineer rush fails and he's low on cash and I got mirages bf prism and jets so quick on his **** :)
Walls are useful.

Edited by AaSoVGoD, 01 November 2010 - 04:50 AM.

#9 truefeel

truefeel

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

Also when facing an engie-drone flak, you might want to consider to let one of your tanks to be droned. So move your tanks to your conyard, and when he deploys his flak track, let the drone get a tank.. It'll cost you a tank, but it will allow you to savely undeploy your conyard. Although the sentry gun will cost you less, it's also more risky. I opt for sacrifing one tank, b/c in the end you loose something of 900 credits, while he looses 1500, a deal anybody would make.

#10 MiamiStyle

MiamiStyle

Lieutenant

• Duplicate account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

I remember a funny game against robin on tour (qm) he eng rushed me all previous games so i came up with the idea of walling mcv+power together and some extra gi's from barracks. War factory near the pyramid. Next, his waypointed engineer rush fails and he's low on cash and I got mirages bf prism and jets so quick on his **** :)
Walls are useful.

so when his rush fails u have straight after this moment prism and mirage?
cool

#11 Mikoz

Mikoz

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7094 posts
  • XWIS Name: Palacio

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:13 PM

A engi is not that worse but if u face a waypoint engi in flak ( like alex does ) you can better quit the game and never give a re to that person.

Saves alot of frustration :)

#12 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Help Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6692 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:16 PM

A engi is not that worse but if u face a waypoint engi in flak ( like alex does ) you can better quit the game and never give a re to that person.

+1

#13 afeenaaa

afeenaaa

PUDDI

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

+1

Really awesome addition to the topic guys!

Don't sell your MCV and you won't have much frustration since you will easily able to rebuild anything again. Or just don't use the engineer you got from selling your MCV to capture your opponents buildings and it will be very unlikely that you will experience frustration at all.

#14 MiamiStyle

MiamiStyle

Lieutenant

• Duplicate account
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:02 AM

i get frustrated when ppl bail for no reason like marsh.
integrity always gave best ggs on ra2 to me...
+ he is cute :wub:

#15 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2159 posts

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:26 AM

Just updating my Anti-Engi topic...

What to do vs a drone/engi combo?
  • Try to drone the flak trak asap. If your drone fails, cancel whatever you're currently building and make a service depot, as well as a sentry gun. Place the sentry gun next to your Construction Yard. If/when the flak trak reaches it, repack then repair your droned MCV on your depot. Your sentry gun and drone should be enough to destroy the flak trak and kill the engineer. This takes practice because you won't have time to think!
I've updated my first post.

i get frustrated when ppl bail for no reason like marsh.
integrity always gave best ggs on ra2 to me...
+ he is cute wub.gif

wtf??? :D

Edited by fir3w0rx, 26 September 2015 - 11:50 AM.

#16 DrVanNostrand

DrVanNostrand

Colonel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5114 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

in my opinion: 

Sov vs allied, if you think your opponent is going to engi you. Make one rhino and then the miners u need. If you see ifv, start building sentries around your warf and keep the tank near the warf also. If you lose the warf, its not really a huge problem to build new one. by no means its a lost game.
And if hes not getting engi ifv u can just pressure with that one tank if you like.

Sov vs sov: you build drone in pretty much all maps anyways so if you scout, its next to impossible to get engied.

With allieds you are more fked, so be alert and get pillboxes around ur warfactory if you scout engi ifv/flak.

#17 J0ni

J0ni

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • XWIS Name: Joni

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:26 AM

i got better tip... "gg no re" and find new opponent

#18 mrk65

mrk65

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • XWIS Name: mkr4m3r

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:30 PM

my opinion is equal to the Seke and Mikos ...

Edited by mrk65, 26 October 2015 - 01:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users