19 replies to this topic

#1 GuestAccount

GuestAccount

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

Most players are aware by now that solitary screen shots can be faked to 100% accuracy using basic editing programs like MS Paint.
However, certain characteristics will always be apparent in these screen shots, and if you just keep and eye out for these, you will always be able to spot a real from a phoney.

1) A extended delay from the time of request, to the actual delivery of the screen shot.
Faking takes time, so if your screen is supplied instantly, that's one of the best ways of knowing its real.

2) A solitary screen shot.
Fakers usually always supply a single screen shot, the reason is it gets quite difficult trying to replicate the sequence of events and the shroud patterns in skirmish mode, which is where the shroud will be generated and pasted from.
So if a player has posted multiple screens, of different areas of map, all containing shroud, those screens will almost certainly be real.

3) Overlapping shroud.
The natural gradient the in game shroud produces is surprisingly difficult to replicate, impossible infact with basic programs like Paint.
So if the supplied screens have shroud that overlaps with unique characteristics of that game (buildings, units, depleted tib fields, explosions or text), they will almost certainly be real.

4) Text.
Screen text is only of value if it overlaps with shroud, once again because having that natural gradient the shroud produces crossing over the text makes it virtually impossible for anyone to replicate that effect in a sensible period of time.
Text on solid shroud, solid terrain is relatively easy to replicate.

So if you always look out for those 4 basic things, you will always be able to spot a fake screenshot, from a real one.
NOTE:
Because the fake screen are usually faked to 100% accuracy, relying on this circumstantial evidence is really the only method we have to detect fakers.
Also, watch out for players that have consistent patterns of providing screens that always fail to meet the above criterias.

Here is a recent example of a screen shot the newly appointed cheat moderator on another TS site posted, when someone suspected him of map revealing.
Use the methods above to determine if its real or fake, the answer is at the bottom for those that need help.

Posted Image

1) Delay In Posting? - FAIL
2) Multiple Screen Shots? - FAIL
3) Overlapping Shroud? - FAIL
4) Overlapping Text? - FAIL

Edited by SkeletonNod, 19 April 2010 - 11:55 PM.

#2 Skable

Skable

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1060 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

How did you fully justify the fakeness of that screenshot?
It's a good guide though, maybe everyone should take it into consideration when posting screenshots

Edited by Skable, 17 April 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#3 GuestAccount

GuestAccount

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

How did you fully justify the fake ness of that screen shot?
It's a good guide though, maybe everyone should take it into consideration when posting screenshots

there is no concrete way of justifying it,
its circumstantial evidence, that's just the only method we have unfortunately,
but if circumstantial evidence is enough to convict people in courts of law, theres should be no reason why we cant use it for identifying fake screens,
certainly if a player develops a patterns of posting screens that consistently fail to meet all of the above criteria,

but in this particular instance,
the accused has been playing for many years, and it totally aware that 1 screen isnt really sufficient,
couple that with everything else thats suspicious about it, and its pretty much points to it being fake.

i fully expect him to deny it and produce a laundry list of excuses why his screen failed to meet all of the criteria though, dont they always :)

EDIT:

just done a quick search and found other instances where the accused has filed reports here and included multiple screens with them,
http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/84145-cavizle-reconned-mebt16-25-07-06/page__p__697133&#entry697133
http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/136033-dieortry-recons-multiple-washesbt32-10-09-08/page__p__1181290__fromsearch__1&#entry1181290
http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/135350-huntmen-recons-again/page__p__1175475__fromsearch__1&#entry1175475
http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/102884-cloked-aka-mammy-reconned-me/page__p__868805__fromsearch__1&#entry868805

All good reports from the accused and confirmation he knows exactly what is required to prove fairplay,
yet on this occasion his supplied proof is nowhere near adequate, people have to draw their own conclusions as to why,
but the bottom line is that ss alone doesnt prove fairplay.

Edited by SkeletonNod, 18 April 2010 - 01:05 AM.

#4 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:16 AM

so bettz you have an agenda against me now as well i see. you have no idea about that game or how long after the game i posted the ss. and YOU of all people criticizing me (someone who has never mapped, fiended unlike you) is laughable. my ss is fine and you being a nerd whining about how just because i took some LOW TRAFFIC INTERNET FORUM staff position i should have the most foking holy of screenshots for a ffg when ray wasnt even serious is ridiculous. if you care so much about it i would offer you the job.... oh **** my bad, aur as well as any other ts forum staff have you blacklisted as one of the most notorious cheaters in history.... hm well sucks for you i guess. i really couldnt care less about it and i took it because aur needed some help and i was bored at the time. fix ur geek rage you deluded menstrual ****

#5 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:24 AM

so bettz you have an agenda against me now as well i see. you have no idea about that game or how long after the game i posted the ss. and YOU of all people criticizing me (someone who has never mapped, fiended unlike you) is laughable. my ss is fine and you being a nerd whining about how just because i took some LOW TRAFFIC INTERNET FORUM staff position i should have the most foking holy of screenshots for a ffg when ray wasnt even serious is ridiculous. if you care so much about it i would offer you the job.... oh **** my bad, aur as well as any other ts forum staff have you blacklisted as one of the most notorious cheaters in history.... hm well sucks for you i guess. i really couldnt care less about it and i took it because aur needed some help and i was bored at the time. fix ur geek rage you deluded menstrual ****

Your attitude is only going to make Bettz look like he is right and you are wrong. I'm not taking sides and certainly not trying to provoke anyone but the fact of the matter is - Bettz is extremely well spoken, and generally liked by anyone who isn't involved with TS because he appears to be well educated, well versed, and appeals to much of the common man simply because he knows how to speak.

Cursing at him and calling him names is nothing more then making him seem right and yourself look wrong. I would advise if you have a serious dilemma with him accusing you of cheating, you take it up in a civilized manner. But, take what I say with a grain of salt, all I'm trying to do as of late is be more of a peacekeeper then instigator. I'm sick of fighting with one another on TS, it's killing the community.

#6 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

if i cared how i was viewed by anyone i would conduct myself differently, but since i dont and i was only addressing bettz, not you or anyone else who decides to read my post i couldnt care less

#7 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:39 AM

Take a chill pill Joe, fact is Bettz is going to murder your post turn it around on you and make you look like your guilty. Just trying to help, take it as you may.

#8 phatmouse

phatmouse

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • XWIS Name: ray

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:42 AM

Lmao at the people dumb enough to be fooled by this guy.

Edited by phatmouse, 18 April 2010 - 01:42 AM.

#9 Skable

Skable

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1060 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

if i cared how i was viewed by anyone i would conduct myself differently, but since i dont and i was only addressing bettz, not you or anyone else who decides to read my post i couldnt care less

That's what private messages are for.

#10 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:09 AM

its relative to this topic or else i wouldnt have posted it...

#11 GuestAccount

GuestAccount

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:48 AM

so bettz you have an agenda against me now as well i see.

My agenda is against fake screen shots.

People are free to draw their own conclusions on your ss, i'm just laying out the facts.

#12 miketehmaster

miketehmaster

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

I agree it is a poor requested SS,but it is better than nothing and to be "Fake" you have to find a flaw in it besides general opinions of why it's fake, like hotdiego and someone else did with trz's lol

#13 Favor

Favor

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:12 PM

by looking at that ss the only thing u posted was not muiltiple ss's no one takes a lot of ss's for a for fun game unless they have their program up. but who starts a game with their program up. this ss is clearly real not fake. im not taking sides but i mean honestly u just said it ur self text is hard to fake...the text is obviously real the shroud is real the ss is real

#14 GuestAccount

GuestAccount

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

by looking at that ss the only thing u posted was not muiltiple ss's no one takes a lot of ss's for a for fun game unless they have their program up. but who starts a game with their program up. this ss is clearly real not fake. im not taking sides but i mean honestly u just said it ur self text is hard to fake...the text is obviously real the shroud is real the ss is real

you must have misread my post, i said its very easy to fake text thats on solid black text, and its also very easy to fake text thats on solid terrain, it gets hard when the text is crossing through shroud and terrain, because of the gradient, do you know what i mean by gradient? where the shroud fades at the edge.

Ok, to make it a little easier for people to understand, ive done a demonstration using his supplied ss, ive changed the text, and also inserted a base from an entirely different game, but you will notice the shroud is identical.

Posted Image

#15 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:49 PM

Just goes to prove anyone can edit a SS :p

#16 Favor

Favor

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:33 AM

yes i know what gradient is i use to do gfx stuff but im pretty sure if i remember right joe is computer stupid i had to help him install a program once...plus not anyone can i wouldnt even know where to start and ive used photoshop and everything...idont even knowwhat font that is

Edited by Favor, 20 April 2010 - 02:33 AM.

#17 Orochi

Orochi

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

lol riley taking shots at me. i love you too m8

#18 jZampageX

jZampageX

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:01 AM

Well, you could do it pretty quick Riley, I have more faith in you then you do yourself - fact is, it's really kind of sad how quick a process it is. You can even make a brush that is identical to what shroud is... maybe a 20 second job if you've taken the 10 minutes to make a perfect replica brush.

#19 Favor

Favor

Corporal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:31 AM

ya but the font id never figure out

#20 GuestAccount

GuestAccount

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

yes i know what gradient is i use to do gfx stuff but im pretty sure if i remember right joe is computer stupid i had to help him install a program once...plus not anyone can i wouldnt even know where to start and ive used photoshop and everything...idont even knowwhat font that is

You dont need to be a computer expert to use paint, and anyone that can play TS to the level he does, wouldnt have difficulty copying and pasting a few chunks from image A to image B.

But this thread isnt really about Joe, it just so happens that he posted a screen that fitted with what i needed to use for an example.

This thread is really to help people understand how weak screen shots are, and how to spot the fake ones.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users