286 replies to this topic

#276 caseybob

caseybob

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

Yeah, closing this topic is probably not needed. There should be a place where people can talk about bug abuse, ect. Don't know if this is the right place, but compared to all the other spam that goes on in fair play forum this is not bad at all :p

And the more I think about it(because of this topic), the more I conclude that alt, and everything it can do, was put in the game by the developers who knew 100% what it could do to tanks coming out of the war, miners being prevented from dropping off ore, ect. In you think about it from the point of view of trying to get the game to be as "real life" as possible it would make perfect sense. If a giant tank or dump truck(ore miner) is driving up against your garage, you probably would not be able to back your car(or tank if you own one) out :p Try and think about this from the point of view of the developers and the conversations they were probably having amongst themselves at the time. The fact the game incorporates science fiction is irrelevant to vehicles taking up space. Also, 10-15 years ago when this game was in development, I highly doubt their was any speculation that the game would be hosted by an independent server in 2010 with a niche group of players who would create their own set of "gentleman's" rules which disallowed tactics they considered lame. And maybe they did even consider that some idiot some day would take his first miner and alt the war because they included a structure in the game(walls) and prevented miners from penetrating that structure. It would be very intriguing to hear what the developers were talking about at the time this game was in creation, but unless someone here gets a job with one of those guys it is doubtful we will ever know :) Then again, being in the dark can be fun in it self :p

#277 SoBe0wns

SoBe0wns

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, closing this topic is probably not needed. There should be a place where people can talk about bug abuse, ect. Don't know if this is the right place, but compared to all the other spam that goes on in fair play forum this is not bad at all :p

And the more I think about it(because of this topic), the more I conclude that alt, and everything it can do, was put in the game by the developers who knew 100% what it could do to tanks coming out of the war, miners being prevented from dropping off ore, ect. In you think about it from the point of view of trying to get the game to be as "real life" as possible it would make perfect sense. If a giant tank or dump truck(ore miner) is driving up against your garage, you probably would not be able to back your car(or tank if you own one) out :p Try and think about this from the point of view of the developers and the conversations they were probably having amongst themselves at the time. The fact the game incorporates science fiction is irrelevant to vehicles taking up space. Also, 10-15 years ago when this game was in development, I highly doubt their was any speculation that the game would be hosted by an independent server in 2010 with a niche group of players who would create their own set of "gentleman's" rules which disallowed tactics they considered lame. And maybe they did even consider that some idiot some day would take his first miner and alt the war because they included a structure in the game(walls) and prevented miners from penetrating that structure. It would be very intriguing to hear what the developers were talking about at the time this game was in creation, but unless someone here gets a job with one of those guys it is doubtful we will ever know :) Then again, being in the dark can be fun in it self :p

It is possible it was put in by design. This never came up back then because back in the WOL days, we had the 3 minute rule, so ALTing with your first miner wouldn't be an issue. I don't really remember anyone ALTing back then, except to make planes land on buildings and other goofy things like that.

#278 reano

reano

Captain

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts
  • XWIS Name: reano

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:55 PM

trying to get the game to be as "real life" as possible it would make perfect sense. ...

I tell you what those real life armies that have

1) Magnetron, Iron curtain, virus troop, yuri, magnetron, chronosphere, mutator, chrono legionnaire, etc are gonna win every war ;-)...

#279 caseybob

caseybob

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

1) Magnetron, Iron curtain, virus troop, yuri, magnetron, chronosphere, mutator, chrono legionnaire, etc are gonna win every war ;-)...

lol, did you not read 2 sentences after that? Yes there are sci fi aspects to the game, but they tried to make all of the real stuff as real as they could make it.

On a side note, it is kind of ironic that the side that has the most of this imaginary sci fi stuff is the most overpowered faction in the game!

#280 reano

reano

Captain

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

lol, did you not read 2 sentences after that? Yes there are sci fi aspects to the game, but they tried to make all of the real stuff as real as they could make it.

On a side note, it is kind of ironic that the side that has the most of this imaginary sci fi stuff is the most overpowered faction in the game!

Gotta agree with you France sure is imaginary with it's Grand Cannon, dolphin killer machines, chronosphere, weather machine, chrono legionnaire, prism tank, mirage tank, rocketeers, prism towers, Robot tanks, Dogs that can kill men with one bite, I mean come on whats false bout those.... ;)

#281 AbRoMoV

AbRoMoV

Für immer frei und ungeteilt.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2180 posts
  • XWIS Name: ZooM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:03 AM

btt

#282 caseybob

caseybob

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:02 AM

Gotta agree with you France sure is imaginary with it's Grand Cannon, dolphin killer machines, chronosphere, weather machine, chrono legionnaire, prism tank, mirage tank, rocketeers, prism towers, Robot tanks, Dogs that can kill men with one bite, I mean come on whats false bout those.... ;)

Grand cannon is realistic, actually all of the country units are realistic cept maybe the tesla tank. Tesla coils exist in real life, but not on wheels. But the fact that they can't fire while moving means that maybe the developers considered the need for the tesla coil to be grounded.... Deso is a form of biological warefare. And yes, dogs can kill men with one bite to the jugular(although they can't EAT men with one bite) :) And really, you were so desperate you needed to bring up supers? We all know real life supers in this game would be instant GG :clapping:

But dude come on, men that can mind control? tanks that can mind control? A tower that can mind control? A man that can mind control entire buildings? A giant magnet on wheels capable of picking something up from an entire city away? men that give other men fatal headaches by nodding their head? bio reactors that allow humans to produce more energy than oil? :laugh: A genetically mutated monster that can beat up tanks? UFOS? Gattling guns more effective at shooting down air units than missiles? Oh and my favorite yuri concept of all; getting 100 cence on the dollar for scrap metal! Only if my 20 year old car could be turned in for a brand new version of itself :) and getting 50 cence on the dollar for labor value!!!! Imagine that conversation in real life. "Sir, you have worked here for 20 years, but we don't need you anymore so were going to kill you and get half the money we payed you back! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

#283 reano

reano

Captain

• Donators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:30 AM

Grand cannon is realistic, actually all of the country units are realistic cept maybe the tesla tank. Tesla coils exist in real life, but not on wheels. But the fact that they can't fire while moving means that maybe the developers considered the need for the tesla coil to be grounded.... Deso is a form of biological warefare. And yes, dogs can kill men with one bite to the jugular(although they can't EAT men with one bite) :) And really, you were so desperate you needed to bring up supers? We all know real life supers in this game would be instant GG :clapping:

But dude come on, men that can mind control? tanks that can mind control? A tower that can mind control? A man that can mind control entire buildings? A giant magnet on wheels capable of picking something up from an entire city away? men that give other men fatal headaches by nodding their head? bio reactors that allow humans to produce more energy than oil? :laugh: A genetically mutated monster that can beat up tanks? UFOS? Gattling guns more effective at shooting down air units than missiles? Oh and my favorite yuri concept of all; getting 100 cence on the dollar for scrap metal! Only if my 20 year old car could be turned in for a brand new version of itself :) and getting 50 cence on the dollar for labor value!!!! Imagine that conversation in real life. "Sir, you have worked here for 20 years, but we don't need you anymore so were going to kill you and get half the money we payed you back! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dude can't you see Im playing with u chill out.... Mind control - you ever heard of hypnotists? MM is just a tank full of 3 hypnotists....<-- When they control more than one they go crazy..... You ever seen those giant magnets for cars, etc (and magnetrons dont pick from a city away but guess u need to say something like that....) Biofuel Every heard of them? When you have a car like one of mine see Subaru yes it does produce more energy than petrol... (we put it in when we want to increase the BHP, etc) Hey you know UFO's are real... Come on Yuri is so real, be one with Yuri.......

:laugh: :laugh:

Attached Thumbnails

• smallsub5.jpg

Edited by reano, 06 February 2010 - 07:35 AM.

#284 caseybob

caseybob

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

Dude can't you see Im playing with u chill out.... Mind control - you ever heard of hypnotists? MM is just a tank full of 3 hypnotists....<-- When they control more than one they go crazy..... You ever seen those giant magnets for cars, etc (and magnetrons dont pick from a city away but guess u need to say something like that....) Biofuel Every heard of them? When you have a car like one of mine see Subaru yes it does produce more energy than petrol... (we put it in when we want to increase the BHP, etc) Hey you know UFO's are real... Come on Yuri is so real, be one with Yuri.......

:laugh: :laugh:

Lol yes and I was playing back... I agree mind control exists in real life, but in the form of corporate marketing, not hypnotists ;) And biofuel? Are you talking about things like ethanol? Ethanol gets .9 units of energy out for every 1 unit of energy in, oil was 100-1 in the time frame RA2 is based on so I don't know what you're talking about there. And yes, UFO's are obviously real :p

And on a side note, I figured out how to miner glitch today(not that i had tried before) :D It only took me two guesses to figure out which in game function it was that causes miners to act that way. After seeing how to do it, I really have no clue how you think this in game feature can EVER be used on an opponents miner unknowingly. The in game feature you are talking about is meant to only be used on your units and it only would really have this effect on YOUR miners. The fact you can use it on your opponents miners is clearly not intended. It also clearly can't be used by accident. When you glitch an opponents miner, you can only be controlling that miner. If you want to use this in game feature on your units you can't be controlling the other guys miner. Also, when you do it to the other guys miner it only works if you spam this move so one accidental click wouldn't even make a difference! I no longer see how your alt argument applies. This bug is more on par with deso under bridge and tech depot than it is alt(if alt is even a bug). And as far as proving it? A video with the in game sounds on should be sufficient enough; if anyone were going to do this to themselves to frame someone else they would then be given away by a certain annoying sound.

And really, how can anyone say this does not make a huge difference? If someone maps and does this they could do it nonstop while building their war and second ore and probably be ahead by 2 or 3 dumps. 2000-3000 at the beginning of the game is an incredible amount because at that point, each drop of ore is going into an investment for more ore miners or to support a rush on a shallow economy.

#285 warhero99

warhero99

Captain

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1335 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

wowowow nice debate...

trying to get the game to be as "real life" as possible it would make perfect sense. ...

OMG epic quote. Mind if I put it in my collection of C&C quotes reano? Naturally quoted to who said it.

My two cents on the realism issue:

The vast majority of technology depicted in RA2/YR is irrealistic, for the time period they are depicted in: roughly analogous to the real life Cold War period.

Time travel is probably far off by several thousand years at least if at all possible. Flying saucers? Concept borrowed directly from SF. Near Instant teleportation? Again: Mass transference, if at all discovered, belongs in the faaar future. Absolute invulnerability for a period of time, even from a NUCLEAR missile? Same as previously.
Dogs that eat men armed with machine guns in a split second, and furthermore can withstand between 6-10 direct artillery hits before dying? Give me a break, in the far future or not. Huge towers which mutate everyone's DNA in a flurry of lightning out of which the victims emerge as battle ready brutes unconditionally loyal to a madman? Erm, probably not, lol.

But then there are other technologies in the games which may not be that insane or far off. For example, the US allegedly conducted experiments to train dolphins for military purposes, I am not quite sure how it ended though. Also, biological warfare is already a deadly reality in the present: they may well not make soldiers explode into bubbles of gas, but exist nonetheless. And then there is the mind control issue: while nothing compared to what is depicted in the games, more subtle but bold strides have been made in that direction by science. What about tesla coils? Believe it or not some real life acquaintances of mine have built them, and they are scarily similar to those in the games. Adapting them for military use would be a challenge but not impossible by any means.

All in all, RA2 and its expansion are hugely irrealistic in context of the time period they occur in. They contain some totally unfeasible/impossible features, depict some technologies which may be theoretically feasible in our own far future, but then there are some technologies/features which either ARE realistic, or are feasible in the near future in one form or another.

#286 Monkee

Monkee

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • XWIS Name: tank7

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:46 AM

All in all, RA2 and its expansion are hugely irrealistic

that word is totally unrealistic, in the context of the English language : D

#287 warhero99

warhero99