12 replies to this topic

#1 Melodyn

Melodyn

Seal

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:49 AM

i have a question about resources on this map, in particular the ore field in the middle that is usually drained more towards the end of games.

i have marked all resources on the map in photoshop and how they are distributed

Cold-War.jpg

baby-blue line: left
orange: right

resources:
aquamarine: 3 ore fields (both)
green: 3 oil derricks (both)
black: tech air port and gem field (left) vs. oil derrick (right)

so far it seems fine and fair to me, the air port is very valuable throughout the entire game, but especially for allieds, it is extremely hard to kill it usually. the tradeoff is having a gem field that is exposed to attacks.

also the left side often mines the extra gems in the middle island.

otherwise, left side may be a bit harder because the 3 ore fields are distributed but therefore the oil derricks on the right side are very very vulnerable. in fact the oil derrick on the island is super easy killed in my experience. so is at least one of the others if ur not paying 100 % attention.

but what about the ore patch in the middle? it seems it often has impact on game outcomes when the two players are equally good. especially with bridge breaking and if an allied player deploys his base there it is very annoying.

why is it close to the left side? and what is the best practice to take control over it? when im playing right i feel i always totally lose control over the middle, doing nothing but insignificant moves in my own base until its game over because im out of resources.

any pointers are much appreciated. thanks.

#2 Peer

Peer

Seal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

if you're right, and the opponent is left bottom try to early split and take out top oils/para. if he's top-left you should be able to move to middle rather easily. I actually prefer right since you have a steady economy from the beginning.

#3 uncledrew

uncledrew

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • XWIS Name: .

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Coming from my untrained eyes, this player seems good.. His name is Alex. Here are 3 videos of him playing as top-right on cold war . Maybe their is an answer to one of your questions or something to learn from these videos..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sr1hOWohWM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5zSBoHTEE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K30xc7YVFIU&feature=related

#4 Melodyn

Melodyn

Seal

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

wow, good vids! although the last two doesn't help at all.

haha, i guess its nice blocking the right bridge with 3 sentry guns, never thought of that but its effective

this shows specifically what im talking about. there is no way for right to control the middle or at least not without breaking the top bridge in time

the middle part is so far to the left side you just cannot control it as right, its not possible to go there, its left territory...

Edited by Melodyn, 08 February 2012 - 05:23 PM.

#5 fir3w0rx

fir3w0rx

If we learn from our mistakes, then I must be a genius!

• XWIS Buddies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1962 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Coming from my untrained eyes, this player seems good.. His name is Alex. Here are 3 videos of him playing as top-right on cold war . Maybe their is an answer to one of your questions or something to learn from these videos..

Everyone's onto this guy, lol, so funny.

@Herbert, the next few games that you get matched up on Cold War, why don't you record and upload them for everyone to give you advice? Maybe they'll notice something with the way you play?

#6 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5959 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

wow, good vids! although the last two doesn't help at all.

haha, i guess its nice blocking the right bridge with 3 sentry guns, never thought of that but its effective

this shows specifically what im talking about. there is no way for right to control the middle or at least not without breaking the top bridge in time

the middle part is so far to the left side you just cannot control it as right, its not possible to go there, its left territory...

if your question is: How does the right side fight for middle resources?

Answer = Move mcv to middle and get ref and war fact there, It is a great position due to the cliff and constriction, as well as you now can easily split\counter to bottom left.

I do this very often, even if I'm not interested in getting the ore, it's a very fortifiable and useful position

#7 Melodyn

Melodyn

Seal

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:48 PM

nice! yep yep yep i remember this now, i saw it alot many years ago, r always moved hes mcv to middle and pressured sickly. but i havent seen these months im playing. i wonder if anything has changed or the players forgot how to play.

but yep, move mcv for right seems to be a great move, its hard time for l when r puts up some desos on the left part of the map :) and then even controls middle, gg.

thanks alot, its a great tip.

hehe, but now logical question -> how would l counter this? :p just fight as hard as possible and not let r really setup a strongpoint there?

Edited by Melodyn, 08 February 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#8 uncledrew

uncledrew

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

I remember an Iraq vs Iraq quickmatch that I played a few months ago on cold war. It was a VERY long game. Supers weapons were off and we both had squids in the water. My opponent built a cloning vats then spammed desolators and apocs. I was pretty confused so I did the same but I lost horribily in a fight near the top of the map since I didn't know how to control my stuff in a situation like that...

Do you do build the same units or continue with rhinos against someone who does that? If you build the same units, how can you control your stuff better than his? Also, do people normally do that or was it just a very bad or very rare thing to do on cold war?

Edited by a1Peter, 08 February 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#9 Melodyn

Melodyn

Seal

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

u ask this to me? i dont remember the last time i really see this but i have seen it before.

i just make drones, and when it makes it into apoc i giggle really hard
i mean apoc is 1700 $, drone is 500 $ or so?

#10 uncledrew

uncledrew

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

u ask this to me? i dont remember the last time i really see this but i have seen it before.

i just make drones, and when it makes it into apoc i giggle really hard
i mean apoc is 1700 $, drone is 500 $ or so?

Open to anyone to answer. Drones are killed in 1 hit by apocs (harder than rhinos to infect) and I think there was a few miners with the apoc/desos as well. I will try the drones anyway though, if that situation ever happens again. Thanks for reply.

#11 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5959 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:25 PM

Open to anyone to answer. Drones are killed in 1 hit by apocs (harder than rhinos to infect) and I think there was a few miners with the apoc/desos as well. I will try the drones anyway though, if that situation ever happens again. Thanks for reply.

attempt to same thing or pop out naval, dreadnaught on units is very useful--you dont always have to use a dreadnuaght on buildings. if you do do the same thing and are behind then you should use buildings to ur advantage, tesla coils\sents\choke points

also, as Alex said if you think he wont spam connies\has miners, then drones are a realistic economic choice, just dont have ur drones go over ore, and try to have the drones attack from the opposite side of the apoc, so if the apoc is faceing west, have the drone attack from the east, apocs have a long "turn around" time to fire, use it in ur advantage as best you can whenever you fight against them, so if you have rhinos, try to keep moving from one side to the other, forcing the apocs to move their long turrets

Edited by Seke, 08 February 2012 - 11:27 PM.

#12 Melodyn

Melodyn

Seal

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

choke point is that part on cold war on top more to the left?

ps, drone dont gets killed if u click past tank, it gets killed if u click into tank. its best to jump drone into tanks butt imo. unless he is running away, but then again apoc is so slow grandma would catch him also it dont shoots back unlike rhino does.

Edited by Melodyn, 08 February 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#13 Seke

Seke

C&C Tournament Organizer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5959 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:30 PM

nice! yep yep yep i remember this now, i saw it alot many years ago, r always moved hes mcv to middle and pressured sickly. but i havent seen these months im playing. i wonder if anything has changed or the players forgot how to play.

but yep, move mcv for right seems to be a great move, its hard time for l when r puts up some desos on the left part of the map :) and then even controls middle, gg.

thanks alot, its a great tip.

hehe, but now logical question -> how would l counter this? :p just fight as hard as possible and not let r really setup a strongpoint there?

to counter you should be on the agressive throughout the game as left side gets teh paradrop anyway and has a better position (arguably) to attack from, also as you said previously, you are the one closest to the middle and you yourself can take it too, however if on left side i would recommend moving mcv to the actual middle area, getting a barrack or other building (make ivan) and then move your mcv to somewhere else risky, and build from there

choke point is that part on cold war on top more to the left?

ps, drone dont gets killed if u click past tank, it gets killed if u click into tank. its best to jump drone into tanks butt imo. unless he is running away, but then again apoc is so slow grandma would catch him.

i used choke point as a more general term there to qualify for other maps as well, but yes, i would consider the top area the choke point as well as any bridges.

Edited by Seke, 08 February 2012 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users